Tubeless set-up lighter than lightweight tire & tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777, you realize you’re a bit of an outlier, right? It’s not a chore to find any of the tubeless products I mentioned in North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, etc.

mentok

by mentok

In Australia, I remember early on with MTB tubeless that it was tricky to get valves and cores, Stan's tape, latex etc and finding which tyres could be run "ghetto tubeless" was trial and error, but that was like 2006.

With road stuff now, there are enough local vendors. I can order now and have tyres, valves, latex and tape waiting on my doorstep on Monday when I get home from work. Sure, the choice of tyres requires some consideration, the range is not amazing and I can't just pick whichever is cheapest of the tubed tyres that are acceptable to me, but overall the market is fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:17 am
Lewn777, you realize you’re a bit of an outlier, right? It’s not a chore to find any of the tubeless products I mentioned in North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, etc.
Tobin, I spend ten months a year in Asia and two months a year in Europe and honestly I'm not that much of an outlier, it seems you're totally North American centric suggesting American products to an International forum, American businesses are crippled by an insane postal costs, and even worse when sent internationally. Even Orange seal in Europe is a PITA to get. The vast majority of people in Europe use tubes and sometimes tubs, there isn't much demand for road tubeless, maybe a more traditional mindset.

I've also got DT Swiss wheels tubeless that some people are sketchy about the bead design. Maybe if I had a sealed Zipp (if available?) or Mavic rims and only had to order a big bucket of Orange seal and tires, well then maybe. I've got 10 year old Fulcrum tubeless MTB wheels that are sealed and work so well with Maxxis tires, which is why I find road tubeless so frustrating.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You. don't. need. to. get. Orange Seal. There are plenty of other of sealants that aren't bottom of the barrel like regular Stan's (and the rebranded Stan's like Schwalbe Doc Blue.)

BTW Orange Seal is readily available in the UK from Sigma Sports and other eCommerce sites. It also seems to be available from Bike24, r2-bike, etc. Australia seems to have no shortage of retailers either.

Why are you trying to spin this narrative again?

mentok

by mentok

Wiggle can sell you Effeto stuff (latex, tape, valves) and are just about the best international price around on Pro Ones. A pair of tyres qualifies for free shipping. *shrug*

Lewn777

by Lewn777

We’re sorry, but unfortunately, we’re unable to ship this item to your country.

mag

by mag

@Lewn777 Last time I purchased Orange seal was from Tredz UK. I live in continental Europe and there was no problem for them shipping it over here. But it's right there are some restrictions on transporting some liquids, aerosols etc so it's hard to purchase some stuff for which there isn't any official distributor nearby. I'm currently struggling with purchase of the Tri-Flow lubricant in spray. Almost impossible task over here.

Stueys

by Stueys

mentok wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:23 am
Wiggle can sell you Effeto stuff (latex, tape, valves) and are just about the best international price around on Pro Ones. A pair of tyres qualifies for free shipping. *shrug*
This. I think the Effeto sealant is one of the best out there, also seems to be less impacted by CO2 than others.

Miller

by Miller

Lewn777 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am
The vast majority of people in Europe use tubes and sometimes tubs, there isn't much demand for road tubeless, maybe a more traditional mindset.
'Vast majority' remains correct but whereas a couple of years ago I was about the only person I knew riding tubeless, now I know several people locally who have gone over. In the TT world, the Vittoria Corsa Speed has been influential with quite a few very fast riders using them. So I think a gradual change to tubeless is under way.

if Conti released a tubeless GP4000 that would push things along no matter whether it was any good or not as so many people cling to that tyre.

jlok

by jlok

Lewn777 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am
We’re sorry, but unfortunately, we’re unable to ship this item to your country.
sorry for you, but no problem shipping to Hong Kong from bike24.com :welcome:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

AJS914

by AJS914

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm
Are there any recommended sealants that won't spray your mates on a group ride if you get a flat?
Anyone? Coincidentally, I got blasted by someone's punture today on a group ride.

mentok

by mentok

Any recommendations for light, race rubber that's compatible with Pacenti SL23 and Forza? Schwalbe Pro Ones were not a good match.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use IRC Roadlite or the formulator tyres on these rims. Mounting is tight but doable with soapy water and I use IRC tyre levers which are the toughest I have come across.

Hutchinson tyres should go one easily enough. The maXxis padrone should be easy too. It's baggy on many rims.

sib

by sib

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am
I use IRC Roadlite or the formulator tyres on these rims. Mounting is tight but doable with soapy water and I use IRC tyre levers which are the toughest I have come across.
Have you tried mounting IRC Roadlites on the new Mavic Open Pros?
Is it doable by hand and with a foot pump..?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have mounted several IRC tubeless tyres on the Mavic op rims. They can be fitted by hand with lots of soapy water but it's alot easier with good levers. I have the same issue with the yskion UST tyres. On the op rims they are not hand fit unless you really try. The Mavic wheels don't need tape and that makes all the difference.

Yes with soapy water they go up with a floor pump then inject sealant and reinflate.

If a tubeless tyre is really easy to mount buy hand like a Vittoria Corsa on an old fashioned open pro rim or archetype, then it's probably not going to inflate easily. IRC and other tubeless tyres on he'd Belgium + rims are an easy hand fit but with two layers of 144 micron thick tape ( stans or Tess 4289) then they only inflate 90% if the time with compressed air but when you remove the air the tyre unseats so you have to try with more tape until you get most of the tyre not unseating with no air only then can you inject sealant. If you try inflating with sealant alone you tend to get alot of sealant escaping and mess. Also no guarantee the tyre will go up even with compressed air which tends to blow dry mist sealants.....

Don't be afraid if a tubeless tyre that's a tight fit. That's what good levers are for. The IRC levers are the best I have come across for this. Ignore the pointy end, it's useless but the normal end does not wear or break. I have been using the same levers daily in the shop for over 2 years. One of them is a bit worn now. It's a plastic lever.

IRC tyres in a pacenti, Ambrosio P20, kinlin xr22/26/31t, Mavic op UST are as tight as s tubeless tyre should be with two layers of 144 micron tape. Inflate with soapy water, seat and seal, remove air, inject sealant then reinflate. No compressed air needed and no mess. Often not a drop of sealant to clean up. The way it should be. Hutchinson and Mavic UST tyres to be fair and the schwalbe one install in a similar way.

They are meant to be tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com