Tubeless set-up lighter than lightweight tire & tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys, I've had a bad run of flats the last two weeks. Currently running Michelin Power Comp 23mm with Conti "Light" butyl tubes on DT Swiss Spline 28 Mont Chasseral tubeless compatible wheels. I was thinking of trying out the Schwalbe One tubeless tires. What do you think?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dbnm

by dbnm

The best tubeless I have used are the IRC X-Guards. About 290g and very tough.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

afaik you won't be able to beat the weight of your current set up assuming you are using a very light inner tube. Don't forget to factor in 30 to 50 grams for sealant. Don't do tubeless for weight, only for the puncture protection. If you want to keep similar performance, Schwalbe Pro One will be a good option. Tires designed to be tough or durable are likely to compromise speed and ride quality, and possibly traction.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

morganb

by morganb

The Pro One is one of the lighter options, I believe my 25mm ones came in around 260-270g a tire. It's going to be heavier than an ultra light tube and tire, but likely have lower crr unless you are running something super fast. I love mine, as they set up easy and corner well. They also measure pretty large for their stated size along the lines of the GP4000.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

As others have said... you're going to find it very hard to find a tubeless tire that has any decent puncture protection at around the same weight. Perhaps set up two wheels, one with a training setup, one more of a "race day/big event" setup.

That being said, I've been running tubeless for about 10 years, and I really like the Pro One in the dry. It's fast comfortable, and has pretty good grip. In the wet however is another story. I've found it to be quite slick. I've taken a liking to Panaracer Race A Evo 3's, but they are pricy and wear quickly. Grippy as hell though, like F1 super soft grippy. Maxis Padrone's are my current middle ground.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

uraz

by uraz

Weight of Pro One's in size 23-25 is around 235-255g. About 20-30 ml of sealant should be used to initially seal the tire but then you can just ride and let it dry inside. After couple of months there is no liquid inside so weight drops significantly. At that point puncture protection is gone but still no snake bites which is good enough for me. It's good to have spare inner tube on each ride anyway.

dvq

by dvq

I think you can get fairly close in weight with a different tire.

I just went through a rear Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm TLR 25mm in ~1300 miles. They weighed 213g new, had a few punctures along their life all of which sealed except for one 5mm cut which was plugged with a Dynaplug. I have plenty of experience with the Pro Ones -- and while heavier provide roughly the same level of puncture protection as the Fusion 5 Galactic 11Storms.

dvq

by dvq

For reference Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm TLR in 25mm weight 241g on my scale, haven't mounted them yet, I'm still working on a set of Hutchinson 28mm Sectors.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

With my set-up, Michelin Power Comp 23mm, and Conti Lite tubes, the weight is roughly 265 grams. So its pretty close. The Michelins roll incredibly well and will be missed :(
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jih

by jih

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm
Perhaps set up two wheels, one with a training setup, one more of a "race day/big event" setup.
Unless your races are supported, I'd run with reasonable puncture resistance there too.

Most amateur races, you puncture, you're out.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Can also confirm Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TLR 11Storm in 25mm are incredibly light. I weighed mine at 219g and 220g. Add 30mL of sealant and that’s roughly 250g per wheel, or about as light as the lightest clincher/tube combo.

morganb

by morganb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm
Can also confirm Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TLR 11Storm in 25mm are incredibly light. I weighed mine at 219g and 220g. Add 30mL of sealant and that’s roughly 250g per wheel, or about as light as the lightest clincher/tube combo.
How is grip on these? I would consider them as part of a race day set up but have heard they wear faster than the Pro One, which I use as a daily summer tire.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

morganb wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:50 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm
How is grip on these? I would consider them as part of a race day set up but have heard they wear faster than the Pro One, which I use as a daily summer tire.
They’re on par with Pro Ones in the dry, probably better in the wet. The tread life is noticeably worse, but that’s to be expected with such a light tire.

LouisN

by LouisN

What about the Vittoria Corsa Speed Graphene Open TLR ? From the bicyclerollingresistance website, it's the fastest tire out there.
Is it a better idea to mount it as tubeless with sealant on a fast high profile/TT wheelset, or better with a latex tube inside ... ?

Louis :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LouisN wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm
What about the Vittoria Corsa Speed Graphene Open TLR ? From the bicyclerollingresistance website, it's the fastest tire out there.
Is it a better idea to mount it as tubeless with sealant on a fast high profile/TT wheelset, or better with a latex tube inside ... ?

Louis :)
It’s the fastest tire that site has tested. Unfortunately they have not tested the TLR 11Storm version of the Fusion 5 Galactik. The version tested was the “tubeless” non-11Storm version. It is heavier with a butyl inner lining.

The Corsa Speed TLR is also heavier than 220g and has really poor tread life / puncture resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com