Canyon Aeroad Disc or Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

excellent! I'm about to do the same as my size is in stock now.

erdalozan

by erdalozan

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:51 pm
Per new thread, I caved and ordered an Aeroad. I'll report here on tire clearance with 28 mm Conti's when I get the bike in April. Stay tuned!
so do you have an update for us? do 28s fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

erdalozan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 am
Bordcla wrote:
Per new thread, I caved and ordered an Aeroad. I'll report here on tire clearance with 28 mm Conti's when I get the bike in April. Stay tuned!
He just said he doesn't have the bike yet... and all of this has been covered.

PyotrGhimme

by PyotrGhimme

as you like long training which lasts 4-5h, the aero advantage will prevail considering that the two options have almost no difference in weight. I recommend you Aeroad disc. But... there might be a model change in 2018 or 2019.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

erdalozan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 am
Bordcla wrote:
Bike is at friend's place (he's from the US and ordered the bike for me). Getting it on April 1st when doing a trip to Arizona. Will report first week of April!

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

I've done the same. Should get it in a couple weeks.

dcorn

by dcorn

Honestly, rolling around on the stock 23/25 tire setup that is stretched on the stock wheels, the ride is really comfortable. Went for a ride today on some really banged up roads and at this point, I have no reason to buy wider tires, at least until these wear out and I need to replace them anyway.

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

Wide for the win! I've never bothered with 23mm before. But after riding 25s on a 21mm internal wheel, I don't think anything less than 19mm will suffice. Plus it looks great.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

The Reynolds Strike are only 17c. Looking forward to see how they ride. 25c Conti's on 18.5/17c Enve 4.5s were not enough to make the ride comfortable on my Cervelo S3 on the terrible roads we have here.

Here's hoping that the Aeroad rides better and that I was correct in concluding that the 28c Conti's will fit!

sawyer

by sawyer

I suspect many nominal 28mm tyre and wide rim combos would not work on the Aeroad rear cutout

I haven't tried, but can fit 25mm with enough, but not a huge amount of clearance. 28mm would be too much for many wider combos I suspect, though probably some will work.

Edit: talking here about a rim brake version
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Datmo

by Datmo

I come from a Specialized Venge (1st gen) with 25mm tires and now ride a Ultimate CF SLX Disc with 25 mm tires, but this time tubeless. Tubeless or not the Ultimate is such a fantastically comfortable and light bike. I love it.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Rode my new Aeroad Disc for a week in Arizona, on 28 mm Continental tires, on all kinds of crappy pavement, flat and rolling terrain, and even up and down mountains, including Mount Lemmon. Verdict: it's fantastic! A real magic carpet Ride, and wicked fast. Surprisingly, it's also world's more comfortable than both my Tarmac and my S3. Not jarring or harsh at all, even with the stock narrower tires (before I swapped them out).

Not sure why some reviewers say it's not a proper all-rounder; can't really think of how it could be better!

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

Awesome to hear. I've been riding mine for a couple of weeks now as well and am really loving it. I rode the stock wheels and tires for a while, which were surprising smooth. I'm not riding my Avion Disc wide wheels on 25mm tires, which measure closer to 28 and it feels good. There is definitely room for something a little wider and will eventually pick up some 28mm tires which will probably be closer to 31 on my rims.

What size did you end up with? and How tall are you?

I'm riding a Small at 5'11". Wondering if I should have gone medium. I wanted it aggressive, but I'm about the same saddle to bar drop as my previous bike, but I"m at the top of the steerer tube. Not sure realistically how much lower I'll be able to go. A slammed Medium (with also longer cranks, bars that I don't have to replace) could be nicer, but I don't want to get painted in a corner with adjustability.
IMG_1730.JPG

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice pic, but what mostly is catching my eye is the location... I'm gonna guess Vancouver, BC... from Jericho Beach, maybe?

As for your bike, I'm afraid that unless you have an extremely short torso and/or arms, that a larger frame would be prefferred. I don't know how Canyon sizes their frames, but you've got a huge drop already, and that's with what... 30mm of spacers under the stem.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

You would be correct in the location. Good eye!

I had a fit done before I ordered the bike, and I was recommended this size. I "fit" on an Focus Izalco Max, which has really similar geometry numbers to the Aeroad. My previous bike is a Ridley X-Trail, totally different style bike, but the stack (56cm and had it slammed) is only 1cm higher than the Aeroad in M, so I didn't want to bet slammed and have nowhere to move from there.

Sorry to go off topic!