Canyon Aeroad Disc or Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I used to live just up the street from there...

You know what... if that was what was recommended from a "professional fitter" that you paid money to, aside from just a friend who was trying to be helpful, then I would take that bike back, as is... and ask, face to face... "Ok... now that it's all set up, do you REALLY think we got the right size here?". If he says yes, then ask for an explanation as to why we ended up with so many spacers given the saddle to handlebar drop? I'd like to know his response. I'd actually like to know what the drop actually is as shown in the picture. If, on the other hand, you kept insisting "Oh, I want to be fit on the smallest possible size frame I can get", well then I guess it's on you. If I fit someone, and give a recommendation as to a specific frame, I know full well how it's going to set up with stem size, bar type and brand, saddle, sapcers under the stem, etc. I once went to get a custom bike built. When we were sizing things up with the builder, I asked something like "Don't we need to know a lot more, like what bars and stem we'll be using etc., in order to get everything just right?". The response I got was something to the effect of "we can figure out all that later after we get the frame". Needless to say, that was the end of our session. I had it built by someone else.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

I have approx. 12 cm of drop. The guy who fitted me, gave me the best service out of any shop I went to, previous to buying the Canyon, so I feel like he knows his stuff. He seemed very knowledgeable. I've had a couple other basic fits in the past, and they weren't any where near as good.

Here's a pic of my other bike, for reference. I find the fit on it quite good, but am slammed on it and felt I could in the future go lower, hence me not wanting to get "stuck" on a Medium Aeroad. I've also only had this Canyon for a short time, so I'm still getting used to it. I've got a 125mm stem on it currently.

IMG_0345.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

12cm of drop, with 30mm of spacers under the stem.... ok then... I guess if you're comfortable and you like it then that's what counts and how you feel on it is always the final say. As long as you don't feel too scrunched up lengthwise, after all... it's an aero bike so you should be stretched out a bit right, low and all that, out of the wind. Two things to consider... 1) what I just mentioned as to whether or not you feel too scrunched up to do long rides comfortably, and 2) whether your weight ends up being quite forward over the front wheel, so much so that if while descending you feel a bit sketchy, as if something sudden were to happen, that an endo over the bars might be an easily foreseeable ending to your ride as a result of a too "weight forward" position versus a more balanced position of weight between the wheels.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Here's mine. Its a Large. I've got 2 cm of spacers over the stock 15 mm top cap, which makes the fit the same as my Tarmac with no spacers and the 15mm top cap.

No way I could have ridden an XL. Would have been too long.
Attachments
20180404_141030.jpg

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Calnago wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:42 pm
12cm of drop, with 30mm of spacers under the stem.... ok then... I guess if you're comfortable and you like it then that's what counts and how you feel on it is always the final say. As long as you don't feel too scrunched up lengthwise, after all... it's an aero bike so you should be stretched out a bit right, low and all that, out of the wind. Two things to consider... 1) what I just mentioned as to whether or not you feel too scrunched up to do long rides comfortably, and 2) whether your weight ends up being quite forward over the front wheel, so much so that if while descending you feel a bit sketchy, as if something sudden were to happen, that an endo over the bars might be an easily foreseeable ending to your ride as a result of a too "weight forward" position versus a more balanced position of weight between the wheels.
I find the Aeroad's geometry quite extreme. It's also very different from the Ultimate, unlike other brands who have the same stack and reach figures for their all-round race and aero offerings.

I have a Fuji Transonic which is as racy as is still ridable for me comfortably, but I couldn't ride the Aeroad without a lot of spacers. Considering the Ultimate as my next bike which is more upright than my Fuji...

Burkesquash

by Burkesquash

Bordcla wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 am
Here's mine. Its a Large. I've got 2 cm of spacers over the stock 15 mm top cap, which makes the fit the same as my Tarmac with no spacers and the 15mm top cap.

No way I could have ridden an XL. Would have been too long.
Hello! I've followed this thread and i'm on thr same path as you were. I was wondering, a year or so further, how is it with your Aeroad? Still happy with it as an all round bike? Does it hold you back on the climbs? This is my only concern. I love climbing, but can really only do long climbs during vacations. I can get a very good deal on an Aeroad, whereas an Ultimate I would have to buy brand new. Any new perpective on the Aeroad would be appreciated! Thanks.

check6

by check6

I'll chime in. I have an Aeroad and find it to be more comfortable than my Bianchi Infinito was and that's at 55 years young. As for climbing, with a change of wheels I'm sure it would be even better than capable. My decision was the same as yours. Mostly ride in pancake flat Florida but take an occasional trip to better climbs. Went Aeroad based on how I would use the bike 95% of there time and have been really happy with the decision. In fact, the Aeroad has been my favorite of many very nice bikes that I have thrown a leg over.