Canyon Aeroad Disc or Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Will be getting either of these two bikes in CF SLX Disc 8.0 Di2 guise.

Assume both can fit me (will need about 2 cm of spacers on the Aeroad and none on the Ultimate).

Doing long training rides of 4-5 hours, a few sportives and will target Haute Route Alps in 2019.

Both a pretty much the same weight and can be brought to pretty much 7kg on the nose with better wheels.

Other than the slight speed advantage of the aero bike, how similar or different are they from a feel/snappiness/comfort standpoint?

Could the Aeroad pull it off as an all-rounder or does the Ultimate hold enough of a comfort edge to make it pointless to choose the Aeroad as a main bike? Is the comfort difference significant between the two?

Either bike must accommodate 28mm Continental GP 4000s, since the roads are third world crappy here. They will be a comfortable fit on the Ultimate and a tight (but apparently OK) fit on the Aeroad.

I read that the Aeroad is less stiff torsionally. Does it still handle as well as the Ultimate?

The rim brake Aeroad has adjustable fork take, from "stable" to "agile". How is the handling of the disc bike with its thru axles in comparison?

Anything else worth knowing to choose between the 2?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

I bought the Aeroad over the Ultimate last year, and just sold it on a few weeks ago, I just found it was too aggressive a fit for long rides, no matter what I did anything more than 100km became painful.

Apart from the fit not really suiting me, it was a very responsive and agile bike compared to the Madone 9 series it replaced and equally as comfortable over the rough stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

If your main goal is to ride it for the Haute Route Alps in 2019 then you should go for the Ultimate!

gwhit

by gwhit

Might be tricky to find someone who has both! Maybe check out CyclingTips reviews?
I have the Ultimate you are looking at and it’s phenomenal. Considered the Aeroad, but didn’t go with it in the end because the fit was going to need a bit more work - if comfort is at all a question, go Ultimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Just looking at the Haute Route Alps....... you have 7 days of biking with 800 km and 20,000m elevation....
https://www.hauteroute.org/events/overview/alps-2018

My own experience with this kind of profile and elevation would tell me to have a comfortable bike...

morganb

by morganb

I remember Joaquim Rodriguez favored the Aeroad even for climbing stages, so if you can handle the aggressive fit I imagine they aren't too bad uphill.

morganb

by morganb

Does anyone have an actual weight for frame only for the Aeroad disc?

crux

by crux

980g for size medium

Vermu

by Vermu

Had aeroad and was replaced with ult cf slx. Now I was ok for both, fit wise, but aeroad was really agressive on the front.
On the comfort side ultimate is a lot more comfortable, now don't take me wrong aeroad isn't uncomfortable but ultimate really dampens the road vibration better.
All thing considered, ultimate is better fit for me, slightly. Aeroad is far from flexy other way around. It's really stiff from bb (though I reckon my wattage isn't extraordinary).

I would say ultimate is more agile or livelier. Add a bit more relaxed fit with better comfort and I picked my winner for years to come.
Both are good bikes but for Haute and a lot climbing I would prefer ultimate, add some bad roads and the pick stays the same.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

TonyM wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 am
If your main goal is to ride it for the Haute Route Alps in 2019 then you should go for the Ultimate!
Not really... All depends on fit and personal preferences.

I did 1,610km and 17,300m of climbing in 8 days on my S5 and it was perfect for me.

I sold my R3D due to it being too upright and I just couldn’t get on with it.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I think the variety of opinions only confirms that the choice isn't hard only by accident...

Even the subjective is complicated. I love the blue of the Ultimate, but prefer the Aeroad's shape.

Aero bikes are fast but they can be a bit uninspiring to ride. My S3 is vice less, handles great, super stable and predictable handling, but feels a bit wooden and lifeless (if quite fast!) compared to something like a TCR SL or S-Works Tarmac. Is the contrast similar between the Aeroad and Ultimate?

On the Aeroad, does the stack number account for the 15mm headset cap or does it measure up to the top of the carbon head tube? Would be helpful to know to better compare fit.

guyc

by guyc

I had both. Sold the Aeroad. I’d take the Ultimate every time.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I’d love an Ultimate in team colours, such a good looking bike.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

As has been very well stated above, aside from the geometry differences (aggressive front end), the Aeroroad is a more harsh ride than the Ultimate, you can feel more of the road - Not ideal for long hours on the bike (especially with bad road surfaces). The Endurace is even more relaxed on the geometry (10-15mm shorter reach and higher stack) than the Ultimate and is even more compliant/smoother to ride.

J.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Thanks. I guess those ride feel differences are what is hard to judge and quantify without a test ride, which isn't going to happen. I was hoping that the Aeroad with 28 mm Continentals would be comfortable enough to pull main bike duty, but it sounds like I'd be taking a risk assuming that.

The Endurace isn't part of the picture. Too straight up a position puts so much weight in the saddle that, for me, there is a limit not to be exceeded. It's a two-horse race between the Ultimate and Aeroad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com