Fulcrum Speed 40 Clincher Decal removal?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deano87

by deano87

Hey guys,
wondering if anyone who has a set of the new Fulcrum Speed 40 Clinchers can chime in.
Im looking at getting a set, but I was wondering if the decals can be removed? Or if they are 'Campagnolo Bora type' with decals underneath a clear coat

This is the version im talking about

The Journey is more important than the Destination!

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I have the 40T's and the decals are actually under the clear coat.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deano87

by deano87

jimaizumi wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 am
I have the 40T's and the decals are actually under the clear coat.
thanks heaps

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m not sure about the Fulcrums but there is no clear coat over top of the decals on the Boras. They are just a very fine water transfer decal. I would guess that the Fulcrums might be similar. I’ve not tried to remove any of the new water transfer decals but I suspect it could be done without too much difficulty. Just wouldn’t be able to get replacements if you didn’t like it without.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I just checked and mine are definitely under a fine layer of clearcoat. But then again, mine are the versions that the Baharain Merida squad are using and not the darks, if that would make any difference. Come to think of it, I didn't even know that you could get this colorway. Are these new for this year?

Ah, did some research and these are the 2016 versions with USB ceramic bearings (non-CULT)...

At this point, I may need to retract my statement about whether the decals can be removed as I don't have any experience with the older sets.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No clearcoat. Just water transfer decals. Very very thin. Each letter ends up as an individual transfer. Looks like it’s clearcoated but it’s not. Campy Boras come out of the molds all shiny like that. Then the water transfers get applied. Don’t think that’s changed. The older decals, like prior to 2015 had thick vinyl decals which could be peeled off (and replaced) quite easily. And the “Ultra” versions have always had the CULT bearings, that’s one of the distinguishing features of the “Ultra” designation.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

deano87

by deano87

Calnago wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 pm
No clearcoat. Just water transfer decals. Very very thin. Each letter ends up as an individual transfer. Looks like it’s clearcoated but it’s not. Campy Boras come out of the molds all shiny like that. Then the water transfers get applied. Don’t think that’s changed. The older decals, like prior to 2015 had thick vinyl decals which could be peeled off (and replaced) quite easily. And the “Ultra” versions have always had the CULT bearings, that’s one of the distinguishing features of the “Ultra” designation.
you sure about this?
As far as I was aware, they're non removable (without a professional job of course)
when I look at my Bora's it def looks like they're under the surface

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know about the Fulcrums and am only talking about the Boras. I haven’t tried removing any of the water transfer decals, just the old stick on vinyl versions. You could always test a small inconspicuous part of the decal like the tiny trademark symbol.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm pretty sure Calnago is correct. I also have the Boras and I think the paint is on the surface. It wouldn't be hard to find out on the Speed 40's. Just take some acetone and see the decals come off. You won't save a lot of weight by removing the decals. The stickers on the cheaper Fulcrums weight a lot more, and that's why the higher end Fulcrums don't use regular stickers.

deano87

by deano87

Thanks for the replies.
Im curious now. I will try Acetone on my other set of Bora's.

Anyway, what im trying to achieve:

I want a clean carbon look rim with a 3k Gloss weave similar to the Bora, Speed 40's or Gipfelsturm's, with no logo's.
If anyone has any other ideas of rims like this please let me know..

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Acetone doesn't work on water transfer (i have reynolds aero) which use the same technology. They are thin and you could remove with cautious sanding or razorblading after taping off the decals but you would then need to refinish the area.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... good to know @Nifty. If they don’t come off with acetone or something like Goof-off, then I’d leave well enough alone rather than resorting to razor blades and stuff. Doesn’t sound worth it.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Why ruin a perfectly good looking wheel? It’s Black on black and shouldn’t really bother you anyway?

deano87

by deano87

Why? Cos I hate decals. You dont see cars running around with decals all over them. I dont know why they're so prominent in the cycling industry.
I prefer a super clean look.

I can CONFIRM

I have just removed the 'r' on my Bora One using methylated spirits!
They are the "water transfer" post 2015 decals.
Took a bit of rubbing, but it came off eventually!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well there ya go... I thought they would come off like that, but hadn’t tried it and @nifty said otherwise. Post up a pic when all done. There’s times when I prefer a clean “unbranded” look as well. I have a set of Boras where I’ve removed the decals and they look great but that was pre water transfer decals, so it was easy. Try a bit of Goof-Off. If Methylated spirits worked, I’ll bet Goof-Off might work even better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com