Rose X Lite 6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clasix

by clasix

Hi Michael,
I have experience with Rose, just not the new version, but thought I would share my 2cents anyhow,

A few photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kohhdib7HgnyVGf67

Bought the previous version X-Lite 4000 in a size 55 eqiupped with the Dura Ace 9100 and Mavic R-SYS SLR and Ritchey Evo Curve 40cm bars. I furthermore added Tunes 9g bottle cages, my Favero Assioma DUO pedals and swapped for lighter Vitoria latex tubes and it came in at 6.35kg. I only ride with the Mavic wheels in the mountains (which is only a couple of times a year unfortunately as I live in Denmark), and at home I ride it with my 50mm carbon clinchers. Obviously the weight goes upf compared to the RSYS', as it stands with the 50'es it's 6.55kg (including an element Bolt).

So weight wise I was pleased and the ride is the best I've ever had :-) and have rode it for the 2018 season and I'm soooo much looking forward to spring

Btw: I'm 180 tall and 85 cm inseam and I would pick the size 55 any day again

Regards
Mads

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

I just received a Rose X-Lite Six Red delivered to the US, and I thought I would share how pricing works if buying in the US because it is a little complicated.

The advertised price was €4199 (after a €500 discount because Red is being replaced with AXS). Because I am not in the EU, the 19% VAT was removed from the price, so the total was €4199/1.19 = €3528.57. I was also charged €16 to switch to an 11-32 cassette and €250 for DHL shipping. In total, I paid Rose €3794.57 or $4327.67.

DHL initially tried charging me an 11% duty with harmonization code 8712.00.4800, but I disputed that because it meets the requirements for 8712.00.2500 ("Bicycles having both wheels exceeding 63.5 cm in diameter if weighing less than 16.3 kg complete without accessories and not designed for use with tires having a cross-sectional diameter exceeding 4.13 cm") which has a 5.5% duty. Including DHL's fees, I was charged $258.50 for duty, so in total I payed $4586.17 to receive the bike, which is ironically less than what someone in the EU would pay (Although technically, I'm also supposed to pay use tax to my state for it).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the bike, although I've only ridden it on a trainer so far. I wish it had direct mount brakes though, which I assumed it had when I ordered. I don't remember the exact weight before installing pedals and other components, but I think it was around 6.25kg (size 55 with an 11-32 cassette and weighed with a cheap hanging scale) compared to the advertised weight of 6.1kg (with an 11-28 cassette).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StellarPatellar

by StellarPatellar

dooglehead2 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 pm
I just received a Rose X-Lite Six Red delivered to the US, and I thought I would share how pricing works if buying in the US because it is a little complicated.

The advertised price was €4199 (after a €500 discount because Red is being replaced with AXS). Because I am not in the EU, the 19% VAT was removed from the price, so the total was €4199/1.19 = €3528.57. I was also charged €16 to switch to an 11-32 cassette and €250 for DHL shipping. In total, I paid Rose €3794.57 or $4327.67.

DHL initially tried charging me an 11% duty with harmonization code 8712.00.4800, but I disputed that because it meets the requirements for 8712.00.2500 ("Bicycles having both wheels exceeding 63.5 cm in diameter if weighing less than 16.3 kg complete without accessories and not designed for use with tires having a cross-sectional diameter exceeding 4.13 cm") which has a 5.5% duty. Including DHL's fees, I was charged $258.50 for duty, so in total I payed $4586.17 to receive the bike, which is ironically less than what someone in the EU would pay (Although technically, I'm also supposed to pay use tax to my state for it).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the bike, although I've only ridden it on a trainer so far. I wish it had direct mount brakes though, which I assumed it had when I ordered. I don't remember the exact weight before installing pedals and other components, but I think it was around 6.25kg (size 55 with an 11-32 cassette and weighed with a cheap hanging scale) compared to the advertised weight of 6.1kg (with an 11-28 cassette).
Now that folks have had their Roses for a bit -- any update on impressions? I would normally be looking at a 58cm but the X-Lite comes in 57 cm or 59. The stack and reach on the 57 are on the low side so I was thinking a 59 would be better.

Alex222

by Alex222

StellarPatellar wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:22 pm
Now that folks have had their Roses for a bit -- any update on impressions? I would normally be looking at a 58cm but the X-Lite comes in 57 cm or 59. The stack and reach on the 57 are on the low side so I was thinking a 59 would be better.
Very pleased with mine, no complaints other than the cable management at the front end could have been done more neatly. Looking at the photos on the website they may be doing it better now, with the Di2 cable running into the frame alongside the rear brake cable rather than splitting off on its own from the front brake cable.

Rode it for six days from Nice to Geneva back in July, found it very comfortable and an excellent ride.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Many brands have a tolerance talking weight discrepancy / tolerance
Seldom below 5%
Most of them all holds the + value all the time.
Perhaps protype build batches are more time consuming builds (labour hours = high cost).
I think that says most of it.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

StellarPatellar

by StellarPatellar

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Many brands have a tolerance talking weight discrepancy / tolernace
Seldom below 5%
Perhaps protype build batches are more time consuming builds (labour hours = high cost).
I'm not so concerned about the weight tolerance, I think that's established. Bike is still a bargain. I am more interested in how it handles going down the mountain at 40mph+ with a crosswind since the handling is said to be on the sharp side.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

StellarPatellar wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:49 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Many brands have a tolerance talking weight discrepancy / tolernace
Seldom below 5%
I'm not so concerned about the weight tolerance, I think that's established. Bike is still a bargain. I am more interested in how it handles going down the mountain at 40mph+ with a crosswind since the handling is said to be on the sharp side.
My bike have a very aggressive steering geometry, but the question you ask pends on more things.
If you use a longer stem (120mm +) and not overly deep wheels, it shouldn't be an issue.
Descending, i guess you ride in the drops to?
I'm not that light, 82Kgs, so i'm a bit more firm in the saddle.

Do you know the rake/ trail of the frame/ fork?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Alex222

by Alex222

I'm a poor descender but the bike has never worried me on descents. Always sharp and precise whether on shallow or deep rims.

sOKRATEs100

by sOKRATEs100

Hi,

my girl friend bought a Rose Team GF Four non-disc. Riding with it seems to be fun - at least she is smiling at me all the time! :-)

However, I wanted to share our experience with you when it comes to the quality of the paint job (see attached files). Quite dissapointing. :shock:

She owns the bike for about 6 month in the meanwhile and did about 5000km so far. Most probably I was riding beside her and some stones got thrown onto her frame (doesn't explain the spot with 'R' due to an extreme angle). We went to a professional bicycle painter near Bern/Switzerland and showed him the bike. According to his opinion the surface below the painting didn't got roughened enough as it should have been and thus the painting didn't get the resistance it should have.

My Rose Carbon Pro RS 3000, meanswhile about 7 years old, does not have these problems at all although I'm quite certain that my frame must have had contact with stones as well in the meanwhile.

Contacting Rose was dissapointing. According their terms, they refuse any warrenty. Going to send us a paint stick. :oops:

Just to share our experiences with you.

Cheers,
Dennis
Attachments
IMG-20191001-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20191001-WA0017.jpg

asiantrick

by asiantrick

sOKRATEs100 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm
Hi,

my girl friend bought a Rose Team GF Four non-disc. Riding with it seems to be fun - at least she is smiling at me all the time! :-)

However, I wanted to share our experience with you when it comes to the quality of the paint job (see attached files). Quite dissapointing. :shock:

She owns the bike for about 6 month in the meanwhile and did about 5000km so far. Most probably I was riding beside her and some stones got thrown onto her frame (doesn't explain the spot with 'R' due to an extreme angle). We went to a professional bicycle painter near Bern/Switzerland and showed him the bike. According to his opinion the surface below the painting didn't got roughened enough as it should have been and thus the painting didn't get the resistance it should have.

My Rose Carbon Pro RS 3000, meanswhile about 7 years old, does not have these problems at all although I'm quite certain that my frame must have had contact with stones as well in the meanwhile.

Contacting Rose was dissapointing. According their terms, they refuse any warrenty. Going to send us a paint stick. :oops:

Just to share our experiences with you.

Cheers,
Dennis
Do you expect them to send you a new frame for just a few paint chips? If that's the case then no bike companies would ever be in business.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

do enough group rides and you will shocked at the angle stuff comes flying at you...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

sOKRATEs100

by sOKRATEs100

@asiantrick: If we are talking here about a faulty manufacturing/worksmanship fault I could think of various compenstations, yes (not necessarily an exchange).
@spdntrxi: I did plenty of them. The painting seems not to have this kind of problem.

Just wanted to share our experiences with you since there seem to be manufactures out there which produce very good quality/durable paint jobs and others don't (might be also dependant on the batches since varying).

grandantipathes

by grandantipathes

I bought one a few months ago ( rim brake version ) and was surprised by its lack of stiffness at the rear.
The rear triangle really flexes big time. It's even obvious when riding on the Tacx Neo.
Weird for a bike advertised as very stiff :?