DA9150 with SRAM 11-32T Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I have successfully been running DA9070 with a 11/30T (people said it couldn’t be done)...

Now I’m upgrading to 1x 9150 and want to run a SRAM Red 11/32T cassette on it.

Anyone else tried this combo yet?

Cheers in advance.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I don't think a general answer can be given, as it will most likely depend on the exact geometry of your particular rear derailleur hanger. If your hanger is on the longer end it'll probably work, if it is shorter probably not. Something that could potentially help would be replacing he B-link with one from a Shimano MTB derailleur as another thread here have shown those to be just slightly longer.

(I also tried a 9070 derailleur with Sram Red 11-30T cassette, couldn't make it work on my Canyon Ultimate as regardless of fiddling the upper pulley would touch the largest cog on the cassette. Transplanting a 6870-GS cage didn't help either and actually made matters worse…)

aaric

by aaric

It works reasonably well on my open upper. B link adjustment has to be just right for it to not be noisy. Big/big is pretty tight. Considering putting a roadlink on it to see if that makes a things less critical. Might also just try a longer chain as the derailleur won’t shift to small/small unless you drop from the big front chainring to the small in the 11 tooth.

With a 1x front it’s probably fine.

hogehoge

by hogehoge

I've run an Ultegra 11-32 with a 9150 RD no problems on a Giant TCR with 38-52 front gearing.
From experience the 11-30 SRAM cassette was noisier and didn't shift as the Dura Ace 11-30 on 9070.

If you are running a 1x does it make more sense to use an XTR/XT rear mech? My understanding is this will work with DA shifters if RD and FD are the same or a 1x system.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

It’s going on a 3T Strada with sole use as an aero weapon.

Build has to be liiiight. Current build spec is 6,880g on paper.

Have XTR Di2 on an Open and love it, but this build is all about keeping the weight down.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Ultegra RD will be more well suited. The weight penalty is not huge. I’m actually running a 11-34 with a 8050 Di2 GS long cage RD. My prior setup was 9070 and 11-28. I can’t see myself going back to 11-28 after using 11-34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

It’s a £10k+ build. I won’t be using second tier components.

A 1190 11/32 cassette and 9150 rear derailleur will have to work.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Do SRAM cassettes work well with Shimano derailleurs? (I think this is another point of the OP).

Believe it should be at least fine, but would it satisfy even shifting nitpickers? RED cassettes are lighter and more durable, but despite that I've seen few people go with mixing DA and XG-1190.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ryanw wrote:It’s a £10k+ build. I won’t be using second tier components.

A 1190 11/32 cassette and 9150 rear derailleur will have to work.
I’m running 9150 and the RD is the only piece that’s 8050. It’s not about bling but making sure your bike will work as designed. It would be sad if you have poor shifting on an expensive bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ryanw... I just wrote a big long thing right here which was way too technical, and deleted it all and will just say... If it was me I'd get the GS (long cage) version and that should be ok. I have not tested this, but I know what can happen if you try to get things perfectly adjusted with the normal cage on a cassette larger than the 30 it is designed for. If you don't get the long cage version, firstly, you would have to make sure that the derailleurs pulleys with the chain on it and on the largest rear cog will physically clear it easily. If it does, then that's one physical hurdle overcome. But the issue would be getting the optimal shifting performance. You will likely end up having to adjust the B-screw in such a way that it will move the chain further away from the cogs in order to keep adequate tension on the chain throughout the entire range of the cassette, which of course, lessens the shift quality the further away you get. Getting the GS (long cage) version of the derailleur may help out here. Just not sure as I haven't worked with the longer cage yet. But I think by going with the long cage version it may help in maintaining that closeness throughout the range of your cassette. This is a different thing than the derailleurs "total capacity" which with a 1X system shouldn't be a problem either way.
Then of course you'd have whatever "noise" issues associated with running a Shimano chain on a non Shimano cassette. I don't know what, if any, those are. I would just get a Shimano 32 cassette.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Stueys

by Stueys

Sram cassettes work fine on shim, I was running a red one on my 9070 for a while. It made a smidge more noise than the DA one but I suspect that’s the construction method. I run a 52/36 with 11-30 on my 9070 and it’s fine, shimano tend to be generous with recommended tolerances. But a 32 is a fair size bigger, I suspect it would work but I’d probably go ultegra cassette as others have mentioned. There is absolutely no difference in performance between DA and ultegra, it’s purely weight and asthetics.

kode54

by kode54

yes, it works. you have to adjust B screw a bit, but i have the Red 11-30 cassette on a set of climbing wheels. i also have another wheelset with Shimano DA 11-30 on as well. prior to the 9150, i had the 9070 with the DA 11-30 which worked like @Stueys says.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just watched a video on YouTube with a guy running a 46T chainring and a 36T cassette with 9150.

Happy days!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ryanw wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm
Just watched a video on YouTube with a guy running a 46T chainring and a 36T cassette with 9150.
Link? I'm curious as to what it looks like.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ryanw wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Happy days!
I hope it works for you. I have seen it work on quite a few bikes. I have also seen it not work on quite a few bikes as well. I think drop out design, and especially derailleur hanger positioning have quite a bit to do with whether it works or not.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com