What powermeters do Campagnolo users have?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Calnago wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 am
What? These things have a battery? I would never have known because you forget as the years go by without having to replace it. Let's see... 1900hours, say an average 15mph... so... 28,500miles. Hmmm... 28,500/7 years= over 4,000 mile/yr for 7 years. And not a single missed beat. Bulletproof... sealed from all weather elements. Water ingress? What's that? Super clean look. No sign of any lumpy sensor or battery doors. The decal shown goes perfectly with the Campy groupset. Price is the only downside, so I get it. But if you can swing it pricewise, why not.

My first powermeter was a hub based Powertap SLC+. Didn't like that it was dedicated to one wheelset, was big and bulky, and the hub flange design was not the best for the spokes and caused breakages. Eventually went with SRM and never looked back.
+1
It was a toss up between the SRM & the P2M, but Cal convinced me to go with the SRM. He was right. Just works. Also, I like the PC8 computer, as its easy to read, does everything you cound ever really 'need' it to do and I would never go back to a garmin now.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

c60rider wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 am
I have a power2max NG which has been on the bike almost a year and been faultless really impressed and think I've only had to recharge it 3 times. It looks about as ugly as the standard 4 arm Campag cranks so nothing lost or gained in that department.

I've had a Stages Super Record matched up with my old 5 arm Super Record cranks on another bike and I've been fairly impressed with that so far. I thought there was an issue with the battery as the original lasted all of 4 rides but I've been measuring another with a multimeter regularly and it's barely losing any charge though I am removing it after every ride. Once I get a bit more confidence I'll leave it in and see how it drains then.

Money no option I'd purchase a P2M every time but if you already have the cranks the Stages is a good option with excellent customer service from what I've read. And you might need it!
TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:12 pm
mike wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 pm
power2 max. the best, period because you don't have to send back to company for replacing batteries. also very accurate and looks great.
+1. Very happy with my P2M Type S.
seems like a lot of you guys are P2M.
SRM is nice, but out of budget.

Favero or Garmin seems nice too, I only have 1 bike.
Stages is $$$ for the campagnolo version, might as well get the single side Favero or Garmin.

P2M is very appealing but the campy version is so $$$, I assume its the crankarms which is $$

Anyone using non-campagnolo P2M?? I had a look, the 3d24 version comes with praxis chainrings, wonder how compatible they are with Chorus/Campy drivetrain.

Seedster

by Seedster

tabmaster wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:10 am
Calnago wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 am
What? These things have a battery? I would never have known because you forget as the years go by without having to replace it. Let's see... 1900hours, say an average 15mph... so... 28,500miles. Hmmm... 28,500/7 years= over 4,000 mile/yr for 7 years. And not a single missed beat. Bulletproof... sealed from all weather elements. Water ingress? What's that? Super clean look. No sign of any lumpy sensor or battery doors. The decal shown goes perfectly with the Campy groupset. Price is the only downside, so I get it. But if you can swing it pricewise, why not.

My first powermeter was a hub based Powertap SLC+. Didn't like that it was dedicated to one wheelset, was big and bulky, and the hub flange design was not the best for the spokes and caused breakages. Eventually went with SRM and never looked back.
+1
It was a toss up between the SRM & the P2M, but Cal convinced me to go with the SRM. He was right. Just works. Also, I like the PC8 computer, as its easy to read, does everything you cound ever really 'need' it to do and I would never go back to a garmin now.
I agree with the posters above. I have two SRM campy powermeters. They have run flawlessly and have been bulletproof. I dont worry about the battery. I just move my PC8 between my Protos and XR4 and off I go. That said, P2M isnt bad either. I wouldnt touch Stages. I have seen way too many warranty claims first hand.

karmaz

by karmaz

Boshk wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 am

seems like a lot of you guys are P2M.
SRM is nice, but out of budget.

Favero or Garmin seems nice too, I only have 1 bike.
Stages is $$$ for the campagnolo version, might as well get the single side Favero or Garmin.

P2M is very appealing but the campy version is so $$$, I assume its the crankarms which is $$

Anyone using non-campagnolo P2M?? I had a look, the 3d24 version comes with praxis chainrings, wonder how compatible they are with Chorus/Campy drivetrain.
A friend ran the older 1st gen Rotor 3D P2M with Praxis rings on his Record bike for a while and was reasonably happy with it. He ended up swapping it out for a Campagnolo P2M spindle later for aesthetic resons and did notice improved front-shifting.

c60rider

by c60rider

I agree with the posters above. I have two SRM campy powermeters. They have run flawlessly and have been bulletproof. I dont worry about the battery. I just move my PC8 between my Protos and XR4 and off I go. That said, P2M isnt bad either. I wouldnt touch Stages. I have seen way too many warranty claims first hand.
[/quote]

True about Stages but I wanted a cheaper option to use with my old 5 arm carbon Campag rather than buying another P2M and Stages was the only option. I've been using Quarq sram red with Campag for 5 years and that's worked really well aside from needing to be slightly careful on front shifting. That's partly why I went with Stages to get the Campag rings. The SRM does look excellent and as Cal says with a battery life of years you aren't going to need to worry about replacing that for a long time. The price is coming down compared to what it was so I'm certainly tempted for my best bike as it would only get summer use and the battery would last even longer. And not a hard thing to send back to Germany from where I am whenever it did need to be done. I'm talking myself into buying one :lol:

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Campy 5-bolt SRM. Works flawlessly. I have been on SRMs for 14 years and they have always been perfect - I couldn't imagine using anything else.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

hogehoge

by hogehoge

2nd hand Campag SRMs come up often for very good prices. I'm still using a 10 year old 2nd hand Dura Ace SRM, like others have said they are super reliable. I can't imagine using another brand as my main power meter. The downside of the SRM for me is the lack of Bluetooth for pairing to smartphone training apps.
Otherwise Vector 3 or another pedal based system if you don't mind the Look (compatible) cleats. I find the Cycling Dynamics of the Vectors much more useful than the balance feature of other dual sided crank arm power meters.

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

Ive used a rotor 3D for maybe 6 or 7 years, firstly with a quarq cinqo and now a p2m - swapping between chorus on one bike and record on the other

Cosmetically it’d be nice to have Campag cranks with the groupset, but I can’t fault the rotor in terms of function.

AJS914

by AJS914

The Pioneer Potenza option looks interesting. You can get right only for $499, left for $580, and dual for $799. A Potenza cranks costs around $150-200. It seems like a decent budget option for $650-$1000 all in.

A Stages Chorus crankset costs $629 plus around $400 for a Chorus crankset or around $1000 all in.

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

first I was using Favero's Bepro... and after 30.000+km with zero problems, I decided to try the "upgraded" version, Assioma. Still perfect. Strongly recomend

wilwil

by wilwil

Garmin Vector 2S

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Power2Max NG. Love, Love Love it.

-Eddie

avispa

by avispa

SRM.... Is there any other choice? :D

Since I have two bikes, I really do not mind sending my units in for updates and revisions every once in a (long) while. As a matter of fact, I prefer to send the unit in, to make sure is calibrated and checked, even if there is no issue with it. I hate mechanical surprises.

I have had a couple of Campy 5 bolt units that went more than 3 years without ever needing anything. I may have one of those laying around still, so PM me if interested. (NOTE: standard, not compact)

I prefer the SRM's over the Power2Max because of the slimmer design. I do not like the bulky look of the P2M around the crank set.
Last edited by avispa on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

I run P2M Type S with a rotor 3D24 crankset and praxis chainrings with Chorus 2015+. Only have 1000km on this setup but it shifts flawlessly, and is set and forget. Weighs the same as the SRM version but costs 1/3rd. Also about half of the P2M Campagnolo version. If you can live with the looks of it there is no reason to not get it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

avispa wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 pm
I prefer the SRM's over the Power2Max because of the slimmer design. I do not like the bulky look of the P2M around the crank set.
Aside from it's durability, accuracy and proven longevity... yes... the design is just so clean and unobtrusive... you can barely tell it's a power meter, and I like that... I think SRM got wise to that and stopped offering the basically Campy "11" graphics as such a prominent decal... so now the standard deccal is not so much a Campy "look" as the "SRM Power" brand is featured more prominently. I've got a few, and the last couple I specifically said well I want one but only if I can get the other decal as opposed to their latest design... which looks like this...

So, they did a run of about 100 of the more prominent "Campy" decals, re "vectorized" to fit the new 4 arm design, and voila... i got this... if you specifically ask for it, they probably still have some of this run of decals but you'd have to specifically ask...

But if I didn't have the SRM, the only other option I'd consider is the P2M, which seems very solid and less expensive. No matter which route you go though, I'd always stick with original Campagnolo chainrings.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ