Can Di2 wireless unit be placed inside the frame?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I normally see it external. Maybe it can go next to junction box B in the downtube or in the seatube?
'16 Spec Diverge Expert

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

vinuneuro wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 pm
I normally see it external. Maybe it can go next to junction box B in the downtube or in the seatube?
YES. I have hidden the wireless inside the down tube on both a carbon and an aluminum frame and have had no issues with connectivity to my Garmin via ANT+, nor to my iphone via BT.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We do it regularly, along with putting the a junction inside the seatpost with the battery, if you have the right stem you can make an almost completely hidden system without needing any internal routing on the bars and stem. Here's a moots ti frame where we put the transmitter inside and it works just fine you can see in the pictures most wires are able to be completely hidden. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2017/12/ ... -di2-disc/

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp in the frame ok - except if you have a steel frame as stated from Shimano.

Stueys

by Stueys

Interesting. I guess the main downside is you can't index the gears on the fly? Otherwise it's a good idea

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yes.. I had mine in the seat tube with the battery (parlee z5i)

rsantos450

by rsantos450

Mine is inside the SL6, works fine.

kode54

by kode54

madcow wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm
We do it regularly, along with putting the a junction inside the seatpost with the battery, if you have the right stem you can make an almost completely hidden system without needing any internal routing on the bars and stem. Here's a moots ti frame where we put the transmitter inside and it works just fine you can see in the pictures most wires are able to be completely hidden. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2017/12/ ... -di2-disc/
madcow, it says on your link that you have another A junction that you use to charge with. is it possible to connect 2 A junctions to do this? sounds like a great way to hide the A junction which i hardly use. only to charge and after initial adjustments.
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9150 + Enve SES 3.4 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + DA9100 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs