Can Di2 wireless unit be placed inside the frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I normally see it external. Maybe it can go next to junction box B in the downtube or in the seatube?
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

vinuneuro wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 pm
I normally see it external. Maybe it can go next to junction box B in the downtube or in the seatube?
YES. I have hidden the wireless inside the down tube on both a carbon and an aluminum frame and have had no issues with connectivity to my Garmin via ANT+, nor to my iphone via BT.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We do it regularly, along with putting the a junction inside the seatpost with the battery, if you have the right stem you can make an almost completely hidden system without needing any internal routing on the bars and stem. Here's a moots ti frame where we put the transmitter inside and it works just fine you can see in the pictures most wires are able to be completely hidden. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2017/12/ ... -di2-disc/

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp in the frame ok - except if you have a steel frame as stated from Shimano.

Stueys

by Stueys

Interesting. I guess the main downside is you can't index the gears on the fly? Otherwise it's a good idea

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yes.. I had mine in the seat tube with the battery (parlee z5i)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

rsantos450

by rsantos450

Mine is inside the SL6, works fine.

kode54

by kode54

madcow wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm
We do it regularly, along with putting the a junction inside the seatpost with the battery, if you have the right stem you can make an almost completely hidden system without needing any internal routing on the bars and stem. Here's a moots ti frame where we put the transmitter inside and it works just fine you can see in the pictures most wires are able to be completely hidden. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2017/12/ ... -di2-disc/
madcow, it says on your link that you have another A junction that you use to charge with. is it possible to connect 2 A junctions to do this? sounds like a great way to hide the A junction which i hardly use. only to charge and after initial adjustments.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bikehaus

by bikehaus

How does the wireless unit and battery get wired and fit around the seatpost area? I have a Ti frame and am consideing this.

2old4this

by 2old4this

bikehaus wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:54 am
How does the wireless unit and battery get wired and fit around the seatpost area? I have a Ti frame and am consideing this.
Assuming your frame can be wired internally, you can put your battery inside the seat tube and secure it with something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Seatpost ... dpSrc=srch

Then all you have to do is to connect your wireless unit to the battery with a short di2 wire (10 cm?) and the other end of the wireless unit to the rest of the system...

bikehaus

by bikehaus

I should have been more clear - can the wireless unit transmit through titanium downtube? I heard it cannot through steel and I am not smart about these materials. If not, I was then wondering then how you squeeze a battery and unit all within the seatpost area, in my case an aluminium one - and not the downtube area.

2old4this

by 2old4this

bikehaus wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:05 pm
I should have been more clear - can the wireless unit transmit through titanium downtube? I heard it cannot through steel and I am not smart about these materials. If not, I was then wondering then how you squeeze a battery and unit all within the seatpost area, in my case an aluminium one - and not the downtube area.
I guess it all depends. I had to move the wireless unit from seattube to bottom bracket to way up in the downtube. Finally, took the unit out and tied it under the JuncA on the stem (this is a carbon Storck frame. :noidea: )

Then again, if you want hidden, if all fails, you can place the wireless unit inside the handlebar...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robbie84

by Robbie84

I have placed mine in the left bar end connected to the left shifter (only one end of the wireless unit needs to be plugged in). I have the Pro Vibe Aero carbon bars that are designed for internal wiring, and the bar-end junction box in the right side. One Di2 wire is then heat-shrunk to the rear hydro hose to the b junction at the bb.