New cannondale SYSTEMSIX road frame!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
carborush

by carborush

I went with 28mm GP 5000 on my system6 . Much more comfort then the stock Vittoria tires. These punctured also much quicker. One even had bubble from crossing a railroad track.

by Weenie

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

picked up one of the base models in the uk for a black friday price of a ridicolous £1999

sourced a inline post, switched the tirox dimension to a nack railled version (maybe should have picked up the NDR version, its blacker), and popped on some CL64s i picked up, with 25mm Corsa Speed 2's, rotors are SRAM in anticipation of jumping over to Red eTap AXS, just need a rear shifter to finish the build - have the new matte knot bars & knot stem ready to go as well as the nice neat raceware direct wahoo mount

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

TLN wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:14 am
I'm not sure about 23 actually. Specialized provides Turbo 24 for CLX64 rims (Allez sprint/Shiv TT), and Rovals are 29mm wide. Knot 64 is wider and I'd go with 25c (at least).
It's not just a question of rim width, the shape of the rim also plays a role on how the tires and rims combo behaves, a V vs a U vs a rim that bulges higher or lower on the sides... With that said, I doubt the aero penalty for 25's would be that big, probably evens out with slightly less rolling resistance and then you have the bonus of better grip as well as a more confort with the bigger tires. All marginal I guess.

TLN

by TLN

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm
TLN wrote:
I'm not sure about 23 actually. Specialized provides Turbo 24 for CLX64 rims (Allez sprint/Shiv TT), and Rovals are 29mm wide. Knot 64 is wider and I'd go with 25c (at least).
It's not just a question of rim width, the shape of the rim also plays a role on how the tires and rims combo behaves, a V vs a U vs a rim that bulges higher or lower on the sides... With that said, I doubt the aero penalty for 25's would be that big, probably evens out with slightly less rolling resistance and then you have the bonus of better grip as well as a more confort with the bigger tires. All marginal I guess.
AFAIK both Roval CLX64 and Knot 64 (and CLX50, and Knot 45) are blut-shaped (U), so not much difference there.
Agree on width, unless doing races, I'd stick with bigger tire for extra comfort.
His: Specialiez S-Works Tarmac SL5 Disc.
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

cerro

by cerro

TLN wrote:
26mm on the Venge with CL and CLX64. Smoother is faster.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I recall seeing here a link to shop that sells DM rear derailleur hanger in purple color but I cannot find it anywhere. Could someone with better google skills help me?
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

Irishraven

by Irishraven

Strange sizing...I'm normally a 54 frame, and ride a 54 caad...5'10 height, strong rider, racer and ride in an aggressive enough position...SystemSix 54 headtube is crazy short, between spacer mountain that would be needed and the maxed seatpost...decided to go with a 56...anyone else find frame size the same...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Irishraven wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Strange sizing...I'm normally a 54 frame, and ride a 54 caad...5'10 height, strong rider, racer and ride in an aggressive enough position...SystemSix 54 headtube is crazy short, between spacer mountain that would be needed and the maxed seatpost...decided to go with a 56...anyone else find frame size the same...
CAAD is just not very aggressive.
SystemSix's aggressiveness is more similar to Specialized Allez Sprint, Canyon Aeroad and Fuji Transonic.
-17 degree stem is not helping the issue too, as it put the bar roughly 21mm lower than -7 degree stem. That's more than 2cm of spacers different for the same bar height.
For a bike like this, you don't have to down size the frame like most of other frames. Simply use a normal recommended frame size and 1cm shorter stem than when you downsize a frame.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

A full on aero race bike needs an aggressive geometry, it's not a bike designed to ride in a relaxed upright position.

req110

by req110

I've got the seatpost with 35mm setback, anyone interested in swapping it for some shorter?

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Just finished building mine.
8,2kg with tubes as it is in pictures.
It’s not Hi-mod frame so could have shaved some weight by choosing that.

ImageImageImageImage
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Irishraven wrote:
As an aside, don't ever compare frames on headtube length. Since discs came along the range of fork axle-crown lengths (and to a degree BB drops) have started to vary wildly between bikes, making headtube length on its own potentially quite misleading. Use stack instead.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yuup.

The 54cm SystemSix is listed at 54cm stack. I'd say 54.5cm is average for all-rounders, and aero bikes slightly lower. Trek's H1.5 Madone SLR is 54.1cm and a Venge is 54.4cm. Within expectations.

TBH, I've stopped caring about having massive drop and would also choose a 56cm SystemSix. I can get the same back angle on a 56cm bike just by bending my elbows.

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

My size 51 2019 Systemsix with mechanicul Ultegra which I picked up with a big discount end of last year. Swapped the stock Fulcrum DB400 35mm wheels with a guy who wanted narrower wheels on his Aeroad. Very happy with the bike, responsive and quick but not harsh or nervous.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 am
Irishraven wrote:
As an aside, don't ever compare frames on headtube length. Since discs came along the range of fork axle-crown lengths (and to a degree BB drops) have started to vary wildly between bikes, making headtube length on its own potentially quite misleading. Use stack instead.
Not much to do with discs, well, indirectly maybe, it's more because just a few years ago, everything was built around 700x23 tires, now it's 25's, 28's and more, extra clearance made the axle-crown lengths grow, BB drop also changed... but discs did help make the trend towards bigger tire possible as most rim brakes usually limit tire sizes to 28's. Combine that with the aggressive racy geometry and the headtube is bound to be shortish.

by Weenie