New cannondale SYSTEMSIX road frame!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Given the volume of the frame, I would say that 1100g for a 56cm frame with paint and hardware is VERY optimistic....

by Weenie

mrlobber

by mrlobber

They said it's 7.8 kg for the Ultegra Di2 version, obviously, without pedals, thus, 8kg with them. Sounds legit.

Still, my heart is against riding a 8kg bike anywhere else but a flat race or a short commute.
Ex-bikes: Cube Aerium C68 SLT 2018 / Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596

bilwit

by bilwit

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 pm
That bulge on the headtube where a rim brake might go is ugly enough to make baby Jesus cry, I kinda hope there is a rim brake version just to make sense of how horrible it is...
yep, the whole thing is ugly

gbrnole

by gbrnole

even a good paint job won't save that beast. looks like hot garbage.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

When are we going to see someone slap Lefty fork on this frame to make it an ULTIMATE Cannondale bike?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Whos willing to bet as soon as the road goes up hill in the tour, everyone is on the Supersix despite the claim...

themidge

by themidge

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm
When are we going to see someone slap Lefty fork on this frame to make it an ULTIMATE annondale bike?
FIFY :wink:

In all serious, I think it will look good with the right parts and a super pro set up (and a custom paint job to fix the writing). However, like the Venge Vias, it's place as a mamil-wagon will make most builds look totally abysmal.

northwestern

by northwestern

At 8kg might as well get a cross bike at a quarter of the price.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I’ve been a big Cannondale fan for years but that just looks a bit average.
Dull colours, just doesn’t do it for me.
Be interested to see how it rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I'm a fan. I already own a hollowgram srm, so the non hi-mods are looking appealing. The DA9100 looks to be good buying for a race ready package.

glepore

by glepore

Wow. Lots of hate here and elsewhere on the interwebs. I get that its not particularly "pretty" but I suspect that its pure function. The cabling looks more livable than on the major competitors.

I'm hoping Damon chimes in here at some point about some of the finer points of the design.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi,

Not sure if anyone's posted the link to the technical paper:
https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/File ... epaper.pdf

I hope those who are interested in performance will take a look.
The section "Cycling Performance" reviews the basic equations of road cycling.
The section "Aerodynamics" should interest riders who are into the engineering.
The section "On Road Performance" might be interesting to riders who don't care as much about engineering. It lists several riding scenarios and shows where the SystemSix is faster and slower than a traditional light bike such as the SuperSix EVO.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

Thanks for posting the white paper, but the large image on page 4 has the end of the crank arm cut off! Someone got a little too enthusiastic with photoshop!

by Weenie

Discodan

by Discodan

It certainly seems to be dividing in opinion. Sure it’s not the prettiest thing but better than a lot of others on the market (I’m looking at you Cérvelo).

It would seem it’s been led by the engineers not the designers so a classic case of function first, then form. It’s actually growing on me but not quite as sharp as the Aeroad.

1100g for the frame is very realistic but some of the built up weights are a bit disappointing, I’d be hoping for low 7’s for a disk aero bike with good finishing kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk