New cannondale SYSTEMSIX road frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:55 pm
What are the risks of internally running mechanical shifting wires?
Hi CAAD8FRED,

Although some have done it, it's officially NOT recommended for two reasons:
- It adds bends, adding cable friction and degrading shift quality, and
- The housings take up space in the head tube, limiting the steering angle.

That's why we recommend routing mechanical cables into the frame at the switchplate at the top of the down tube.

By the way, parts for all cable options are included: you have all the different switchplates and associated guides & plugs for mechanical, Di2, and eTap with every SystemSix.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:05 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:55 pm
What are the risks of internally running mechanical shifting wires?
Hi CAAD8FRED,

Although some have done it, it's officially NOT recommended for two reasons:
- It adds bends, adding cable friction and degrading shift quality, and
- The housings take up space in the head tube, limiting the steering angle.

That's why we recommend routing mechanical cables into the frame at the switchplate at the top of the down tube.

By the way, parts for all cable options are included: you have all the different switchplates and associated guides & plugs for mechanical, Di2, and eTap with every SystemSix.

Cheers,
Damon
I suppose you could use a jag wire like someone mentioned to reduce shifting degradation. However, how badly would the steering angle be limited? With a thin enough cable couldn’t this detriment be avoided? I was thinking about SRAM Red mech to WW it.

Edit: SRAM Red cabling is roughly the same diameter if not a little less than Di2 wiring. I assume that any issue arises from tight spaces in the headtube? If that’s true is there any way to alleviate that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

So there's a new SystemSix out with etap AXS and I noticed a few small changes (on top of the new frame colour). The seatpost seems to have less setback, it has dual 160mm rotors instead of 160/140mm, non-Cannondale cranks (presumably because of 12 speed), and the Hollowgram wheels have different graphics. Plus I haven't seen it acknowledged anywhere, but the new Synapse with the same groupset has a yet to be announced Knot wheelset in a 45mm depth instead of 64
52173509_10155804757497294_8008783692459671552_n.jpg
52173509_10155804757497294_8008783692459671552_n.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 3296 times

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

gwilson wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm
So there's a new SystemSix out with etap AXS and I noticed a few small changes (on top of the new frame colour). The seatpost seems to have less setback, it has dual 160mm rotors instead of 160/140mm, non-Cannondale cranks (presumably because of 12 speed), and the Hollowgram wheels have different graphics. Plus I haven't seen it acknowledged anywhere, but the new Synapse with the same groupset has a yet to be announced Knot wheelset in a 45mm depth instead of 64
52173509_10155804757497294_8008783692459671552_n.jpg
The Synapse also has the SAVE System Bar that was shown when the last Synapse was introduced but never made it into production, I guess they figured it out while doing the SystemSix version...

The 160mm rotors are just because SRAM doesn't approve 140mm rotors for road use, they never did, SRAM 140mm rotors are only approved for CX, so most/all road bikes speced with SRAM discs are using 160mm front and rear.

The cranks are a must with eTAP AXS, different tooth pattern and chain pin diameter of the chain means that for now, only SRAM AXS 12 speed chainrings can be used with the group's chain and cassette, no mixing and matching until other companies start to make 12 speed AXS specific chains and chainrings... But also, SRAM was already not selling the original eTAP groups without the cranksets to OEM clients so there's that too.

A seatpost with less setback would be nice, modern fits are seeing more and more people move their saddle forward nowadays.

C36

by C36

Wow a nice paint-scheme on a Cannondale! that was a long time it didn't happen and they even found a way to properly display the brand name. They now have half square-meter on the downtube to fill with something :)
(#sarcastic... few SuperSix had nice paint scheme... but rare)

cyclotripper

by cyclotripper

Id really like a system 6. But the seatpost has been a deal breaker. Any news on exact offsett of thos new seatpost? I really want a 0 offset.

Kingston

by Kingston

DamonRinard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 pm
DaiD wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 pm
Hi Damon,

Thanks for spending the time and energy to answer questions here :thumbup:

Hopefully this is a very quick one to answer - can you flip the seatpost on the System Six, so that the layback is facing forward? I'm selling my current bike [well, hoping to!], and was looking to get a TT bike, but if this allows a very similar position then I'd definitely be interested...!

Thanks again
Hi DaiD,

Thanks, I'm happy to help!

The seatpost is an important contributor to the low drag of the SystemSix because we gave it a specific airfoil shape. One consequence of that shape is that it's not flippable. Although the SystemSix's low drag makes it seem attractive as a TT bike, most riders will find their best TT position on a TT bike not a road bike.

Cheers,
Damon
Any plans of offering a seatpost with no setback?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Kingston wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:02 pm
Hi Kingston,

Yes.

- The original Knot post has about 25 mm of setback.
- This year we're producing a Knot seatpost with around 15 mm of setback; you might have seen photos showing SystemSix bikes built with the new SRAM eTap group with that post installed.
- Now we're considering a third Knot post with 0 mm of setback, and gauging the need as we speak. Should we consider your message a vote in favor?

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Kingston

by Kingston

DamonRinard wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Kingston wrote:
Hi Kingston,

Yes.

- This year we're producing a Knot seatpost with around 15 mm of setback; you might have seen photos showing SystemSix bikes built with the new SRAM eTap group with that post installed.
- Now we're considering a third Knot post with 0 mm of setback, and gauging the need as we speak. Should we consider your message a vote in favor?

Cheers,
Damon
Yes, definitely

cyclotripper

by cyclotripper

DamonRinard wrote:
Kingston wrote:
+1. For a 0 offset

Yes.

Cheers,
Damon

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

I m currently trying to decide between a System Six frame or Venge Frame size 56 and Build it up with own parts.

But hard to decide which one. Any ideas why choose System Six over a Venge. Was going to use them with Enve 5.6wheels and Enve aero bar and aero stem & etap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

TiCass

by TiCass

DamonRinard wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Hi Kingston,

Yes.

Cheers,
Damon
Honestly... who ride with a 25mm setback? It's en aero bike, it should allow rider to get into an agressive aero position. The 0 or 15 setback should be the default option (at least on 56 and under size)... and you could offer the 25 setback option on demand.

The 25 setback seams like something from the past that never get updated.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

DamonRinard wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Hi Kingston,

Yes.

Cheers,
Damon
Another vote for the 0mm offset from me. Its been one of the things holding me back from upgrading from my 58cm CAAD9. For me 0mm offset means I can get lower, more forward and more comfortable.

C36

by C36

Would go for the System-6, headtube and fork stiffness are quite higher than the Venge and from previous experience that makes a hell of a difference when you change rhythm or get out of the saddle (if it’s to cruse at high speed without accelerations, that’s not relevant for the “dynamism” of the frame but remain valid at the moment to go Downhill).

Side note it’s interesting to see that Cannondale kept the similar stiffness between the Supersix and the Systemsix, when Specialized has a Tarmac a lot stiffer than the Venge.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

I have a Tarmac s-works Disc, and would have thought the Venge would be stiffer.

Does the System Six only allow the Knot handlebar or can you also use your own aero stem and bar?
C36 wrote:Would go for the System-6, headtube and fork stiffness are quite higher than the Venge and from previous experience that makes a hell of a difference when you change rhythm or get out of the saddle (if it’s to cruse at high speed without accelerations, that’s not relevant for the “dynamism” of the frame but remain valid at the moment to go Downhill).

Side note it’s interesting to see that Cannondale kept the similar stiffness between the Supersix and the Systemsix, when Specialized has a Tarmac a lot stiffer than the Venge.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram