New cannondale SYSTEMSIX road frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:29 am
Hi bikesrdangerousmmk,

There are several paragraphs about the Knot64 wheels in the SystemSix white paper, starting in the section "HollowGram KNØT64 Wheelset".

Here's the white paper direct link: https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/File ... epaper.pdf

The white paper is also linked from the SystemSix web page: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Produ ... 4cac8e7b38

Here's a nutshell summary of wheel specs:
HollowGram KNØT64 Wheelset
Rim Max Outer Width 32 mm
Rim Bead Width 21 mm
Spoke Count (F/R) 20/24
Weight (F/R) 765/877 g

The design is our own, as described in the white paper, and we've partnered with a Taiwanese company who makes some of the best brand name rims and wheels, to manufacture the wheels for us.

Cheers,
Damon
Also, how much will the KNØT SystemBar & Stem cost?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi CAAD8FRED,

I've been focused on the engineering, so unfortunately I haven't kept up with prices. Your Cannondale dealer will be the best source for availability and pricing.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am
Hi CAAD8FRED,

I've been focused on the engineering, so unfortunately I haven't kept up with prices. Your Cannondale dealer will be the best source for availability and pricing.

Cheers,
Damon
Since the white paper used the dura ace hi mod in testing what would be the aero penalty for each subsequent model going down?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi CAAD8FRED,

The main factors for a low drag bike are: frame, fork, seatpost, handlebars, wheels and tires.

The first three have the same shape, thus the same drag among all SystemSix models, of course.
The Vision handlebars and stem are very good, not a big drag difference to the Knot SystemBars.
The last, Knot64 wheels and tires, are quite important, and we've kept those on as many models as price point allowed.

We've never directly compared drag differences between component groups (Ultegra, Dura-Ace) but I'd be surprised if there's much difference.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm
Hi CAAD8FRED,

The main factors for a low drag bike are: frame, fork, seatpost, handlebars, wheels and tires.

The first three have the same shape, thus the same drag among all SystemSix models, of course.
The Vision handlebars and stem are very good, not a big drag difference to the Knot SystemBars.
The last, Knot64 wheels and tires, are quite important, and we've kept those on as many models as price point allowed.

We've never directly compared drag differences between component groups (Ultegra, Dura-Ace) but I'd be surprised if there's much difference.

Cheers,
Damon
He may be wondering about any aero penalty for the exposed cables of the mechanical versions.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:19 pm
DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm
Hi CAAD8FRED,

Cheers,
Damon
He may be wondering about any aero penalty for the exposed cables of the mechanical versions.
IIRC the white paper mentions exposed cables as a 1-2 watt penalty

refthimos

by refthimos

Hi Damon,

Are you able to share the stem length/bar width/crank length that you've spec'd on each of the SystemSix sizes? Or just for the 56cm? :D

Robert
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Robert,

Just got the numbers Here they are:

Dimensions are below and cover SystemSix.

Hbar: 47 380MM; 51-54 400MM; 56 & 58CM/ 420MM; 60 & 62CM/ 440MM
Stem: 47 80mm; 51CM/ 90MM; 54- 58CM/ 100MM; 60 & 62CM/ 110MM
Cranks: 47CM 165MM, 51-54CM 170MM, 56-58CM 172.5MM, 60-62CM 175MM

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

Ryan94

by Ryan94

Damon, do you know if there is a solution to use Aero bars on any of these models? I have not been able to get a straight answer from anyone.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Ryan,

Yes, any of the models with Vision bars accept their clip on aerobar system. We've specced their Metron 4D handlebar which has pre-molded holes for that. Here's a link where you can see what that looks like: https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/metron-4d-mas

As well, all SystemSix forks have a normal steerer tube so can accept any stem (and any handlebar) you like. The brake hoses still go into the frame at the top of the head tube, and so are still mostly internal.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

themidge

by themidge

Seeing as this new bike is supposedly the fastest aero road bike, do you know how it compares to your own and other brands' time trial bikes?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi themidge,

Comparing drag between a good road bike and TT bike isn't easy, in part because of course the rider's body position is so important. To compare just the bikes, you'd want to share a common body position, and the position shared between a road bike (with aero bars) and a TT bike, doesn't really represent even a moderately good TT position.

So with that caveat, we've compared and found the best low drag road bikes can match the drag of TT bikes. So for a rider whose (for whatever reason) "best" TT position fits on that road bike with aerobars, a SystemSix could be their fastest TT bike. My guess is that's not many riders, but good to know if one finds oneself in that position! On the other hand, most riders will find a nicer TT position, and thus be faster, on a TT bike.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

themidge

by themidge

Thanks for the reply, it's good to have some actual industry people on here to keep us armchair experts in check!

I was thinking the same thing re: rider position. I suppose, like the marketing says, you've made the fastest *race* bike on which you can have all the normal 'road bike' things needed for a race.

fosen

by fosen

On the non- Himod models, with mechanical, anyone know if the two cable/wires we see externally is the brake hoses or the gear cables? I wondering if I should strip the Duraace mechanical and build it up with Etap.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

fosen wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm
On the non- Himod models, with mechanical, anyone know if the two cable/wires we see externally is the brake hoses or the gear cables? I wondering if I should strip the Duraace mechanical and build it up with Etap.
Cannondale has always ran the rear brake cable/hose through the top tube and any gear cables through/under the downtube so it’s PROBABLY gear cables

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com