Drilling Handlebars - Poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Would you drill alu bars - at the tips, not at the shifter

I have done
25%
I would do
30%
I wouldn't
38%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 60

coriordan

by coriordan

I want to change my Di2 setup to take a bar end junction box which will almost certainly mean drilling my bars as I don't think I can afford internally routed bars, unless someone else can advise?

Watching some videos and seeing Superdomestique's build, it would require a 3-5mm hole about 5cm from the bar end, on the underside. I am running 6870 so not sure if that means doing the same on both sides as I don't know for sure if I can connect the shifters to each other (I think I can).

I have seen this video and it looks quite straightforward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cON3w1IL_7k

I think I am ok with it, but was going to ask for other people's experiences/ wisdom.

For reference I am about 75kg and not a particularly powerful sprinter. Plus if I am going mental in the drops, I typically have my hands further forward in the curved part, rather than gripping the ends.
Last edited by coriordan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Should be no problem near the end. Use a dremel with a grinding tool instead of a drill if the bar is carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

I have done....Ritchey Neoclassic for EW-RS910.....no problem, The area where I've done it is not critical

AfromD

by AfromD

I would do it, but depends where. There is a whole thread with experiences with bar routing here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=142456

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I did drill my 3T Rotundo alloy bars just under hoods in order to get RS910 in place. Did 3 months with it. At first I was careful but I started to get confidence in it. Took it even to Spain and did some sprinting.
After I got my PRO Vibe aero handle bar changed I decided to try to break the drilled handle bar but I couldn't do it. I was even standing on without bending the bar.

Mind you that this was my experience and it may not work for everybody as good as it did for me. Drilling at your own risk!
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

coriordan

by coriordan

Thanks Turbo, really appreciate your input. I would be wary of drilling in such a sensitive place but I am pleased to hear it was still so strong.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

As I've had a bar snap on me due to fatigue, I'd be hesitant to touch one with a drill. That being said, if you are going to do it, drops as near the ends as possible would be the place to go. I absolutely would avoid anything near the stem, tops, bends or drops themselves at all costs.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

spookyload

by spookyload

Drilling was very common in the 70s and 80s. The first aero levers required it and nobody blinked about it. Flash forward to 2010 and the world is going to come to an end if you drill your bars. Oddly, the bars are bigger and carbon is stronger than aluminum we were drilling before. Add to that some manufacturers actually have holes by the stem for internal cables, and people still don’t trust it.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

coriordan wrote:Thanks Turbo, really appreciate your input. I would be wary of drilling in such a sensitive place but I am pleased to hear it was still so strong.

Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I drilled two holes on my Ergonova. I have no fear nor any issues. My bike frame is already full of holes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I was dumb and voted NO before reading the whole question.

5 cm from the end? drill away, with a 15mm drill if you want. There's 0 actual stress in that part of the handlebar. Specially if you grip further forward than that. There's no bending moment or torsion in the part of the bars that is behind your grip.

coriordan

by coriordan

Have gone for the pro vibe setup in the end as my lbs owed me a stem so ponied up for the bars as well. We shall see what it all looks like when it comes!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Also voted no before reading the whole question, I can't imagine holes for di2 causing an issue especially if its temporary or if you replace your bars regularly.

off topic but our pedal prix team drilled out our steering system to save weight one year and the system snapped on me when I was throwing the trike into a chicane. Gave the official a good fright when I went straight into the barrier.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

KCookie

by KCookie

No problems so far with my bars.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

Cracked bars in the past that where near new and unmodified but drilling like this, untested only seems good for people with a death wish. Cannot understand why someone would go this route only for aesthetics.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk