Canyon Aeroad Disc - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 pm
cyclotron8000 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm
Bordcla, I've just seen this thread after what we've been saying in the other one. I'm also trying to get a Canyon in Canada (Vancouver). Seems we're trying to accomplish the exact same thing!

It looks like 28mm will be absolutely fine, depending on the wheel. I intend to ditch the Reynolds wheels for something a little wider, so I may run into problems, but I also intend to go tubeless, so many a Schwalbe 28mm is the solution.
Which wheel set are you thinking about?

BTW, do you know if you have to pay customs (additionally to the 7% GST) on the Bike when importing it to Vancouver from the US?
I intend to use my Stan's Avion Disc. They're 41mm depth, 28mm wide, and 21.6 internal, so they would make a 28mm tire quite big... Hunt also now make a 50mm deep wheel that's 21mm internal. I feel like anything narrower than 19c in this day and age is missing out on extra performance.

Yes, I'll potentially have to pay import tax on the bike.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

So, now that it looks like my concerns regarding the Aeroad frame accepting 28 mm Conti GPs can be put to rest, the only thing I need to know is: are there any downsides to an Aeroad compared to an Ultimate?

(Fit is not an issue)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Mine arrives tomorrow even though it wasn't due till 23rd March.
I plan to put 28mm Schwalbe Pro One on the rear with a 25mm on the front. I don't think this comes up as big as the Conti but we'll soon see if it fits.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Geordiepaul wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am
Mine arrives tomorrow even though it wasn't due till 23rd March.
I plan to put 28mm Schwalbe Pro One on the rear with a 25mm on the front. I don't think this comes up as big as the Conti but we'll soon see if it fits.
If you can, please measure overall height of the inflated tires, and post pics of clearance. I believe tightest spot is to the seat tube cutout. No concerns with the width of the tires, but maybe with the height (28 mm Contis are 29 mm high).

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Per new thread, I caved and ordered an Aeroad. I'll report here on tire clearance with 28 mm Conti's when I get the bike in April. Stay tuned!

dcorn

by dcorn

So I finally got my 2nd cross wheels back with 32mm Hutchinson Sectors, so I was able to try them out on my Aeroad. Turns out, they fit just fine... on the front. The wheels had 12mm TA so I could install them on the Canyon, but the rear is the stupid SCS narrow TA hub, so it won't fit on the Aeroad. Of course the front tire clearance is way better, so at some point I'll have to swap the tires and see if everything still fits. Unfortunately, the 32mm Sector measures just under 32mm, even on a rim with 21mm internal width, so I'm not sure what the size would be on the slightly narrower stock Reynolds wheels.

23mm stock tires (measuring 25mm) on 17mm internal width wheels

32mm tires (measuring 31.5mm) on 21mm internal Stan's Grail wheels

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

Cool to see that even a 32mm fits up front. Sounds like maybe a 30mm would be the max at the rear depending on the wheel. I'm sure a plump 28 will feel great.
I've received my Aeroad, but won't be able to experiment with tires for a couple of weeks. I'll post my findings.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

cyclotron8000 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 am
Cool to see that even a 32mm fits up front. Sounds like maybe a 30mm would be the max at the rear depending on the wheel. I'm sure a plump 28 will feel great.
I've received my Aeroad, but won't be able to experiment with tires for a couple of weeks. I'll post my findings.
Please do report and post pics, especially of the clearance to the seat tube/wheel cut-out with your plump tires of choice!

I will get my bike April 1st and can't wait! I'll bring 28 mm Contis with me.

BTW, Matt Stephens (of GCN fame) confirmed that the 28 mm Contis fitted on his Aeroad Disc (size M), so that ups my confidence level a bit, though I'm still curious to see how much clearance that leaves for small pebbles, etc.

I also wonder what effect a wheel upgrade will have on the clearance, as I will be upgrading the stock Reynolds that are 17mm wide internally to Roval CLX 50 that are 21 mm internal.

dcorn

by dcorn

I got multiple flats in my rear tire out riding this past weekend, so if I get bored while changing out the tube, I might throw the 32mm tire on the rear wheel and see if it fits. It would be a first attempt at tubeless on the Reynolds wheels.

My friend that I was riding with has 28mm contis on HED belgiums and the tires are HUGE. They are on a rim brake Seven and there is maybe 1mm between the tire and rear brake caliper. He's been riding like that for a while though with no problems. Makes me wonder if I even need tires that big, or if my 32s are maybe close to the size of his 28s.

**EDIT**

OK, I got bored tonight and decided to swap the tires out. I have a pair of Hutchinson Sector 32s on some Stans Grail wheels for my Crux so I could ride on the road while my Tarmac was down for the count all last season. Figured I'd try those out on the rear wheel since I already knew the 32 would fit on the front. Success!! The Sectors mounted on the stock Aeroad Reynolds wheels measured only 30mm wide, but that made them fit perfectly in the frame constraints. No problem with the height in the rear seattube cutout either. These tires are now fully mounted up and ready to ride this weekend. 8)

Oh, and Bordcla, I mounted them tubeless with the supplied valve stems. Tires went on the wheels with absolutely no problems, but took a compressor to catch and inflate.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Wow! That's awesome! Are you saying, though, that the 28 Contis are even bigger than those 32s? How tall are those 32s on the 17mm internal rims?

dcorn

by dcorn

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Are you saying, though, that the 28 Contis are even bigger than those 32s? How tall are those 32s on the 17mm internal rims?
No, I have not measured the contis at all (other than mine, which are stock tires, not the 4000SII or whatever) so I'm not speculating on whether they'd be bigger than these 32s. Just making note that I was surprised at how large the 28s looked on my friend's bike. As we've discussed, my stock 25s on the Reynolds wheels measure almost 27mm wide and his tires looked way bigger than that.

I didn't measure the height of my tires this time (for some reason) but there was plenty of room in the seat tube cutout. Like even though it's concave, I could still see some light coming through from the side, so the tire isn't way deep into the cutout. Enough space so small gravel/dirt could get through there without touching the frame.

dcorn

by dcorn

I got almost 75 miles of riding in this weekend and the tires felt great, super cushy over rough rural roads. No clearance issues anywhere.

I did realize I'll have to find cyclocross size tubes with 80mm stems now. And the 3 road tubes I just bought won't fit these wider tires. Always something...

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

That's great! Really looking forward to experimenting with this soon. 30mm tubeless sounds like it would be excellent on this bike.....

I wonder why Canyon is so conservative with their official tire clearance. 25mm is all that "fits" according to them. Bigger is becoming the norm. New Scott Foil Disc fits 30s, 3T Strada, etc. I would guess the 2019 model will "officially" clear a big tire.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

dcorn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 pm
I got almost 75 miles of riding in this weekend and the tires felt great, super cushy over rough rural roads. No clearance issues anywhere.

I did realize I'll have to find cyclocross size tubes with 80mm stems now. And the 3 road tubes I just bought won't fit these wider tires. Always something...
Are you saying that the Vittoria latex tubes I used with my 25mm Contis in my Enves won't work with 28 Contis with these Reynolds? (Officially, Vittoria makes different sized tubes for 23-25 and 28-32, but I would have thought that the former would fit a 28 mm tire without problems?)

Jereb

by Jereb

Hi

Yes your Vittoria / Michelin latex tubes will work with valve extensions.
Have used them on Grails / Boyd wheels with big tires for years no problems.
How ever all the wheels have tubeless tape on the rims no shitty rim strips.
6000/10000 no flats from stretching to fit just a side wall blowout from a rock getting
Wedged in the chain stays
JB

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com