Canyon Aeroad Disc - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I live in Quebec. A lot of times I think to myself they should just rip off all the asphalt and leave it on dirt. Wouldn't be worse...

@dcorn: thanks a million! It would seem that there is ample room for the 28mm Conti's in there!

dcorn

by dcorn

Oh, and even with all that clearance at the fork, 36mm Clement MSO gravel tires do not fit. I pulled the front wheel off my Crux and stuck it on the Canyon just to see how much clearance there really was. If I ever get my 2nd wheelset back from the shop with 32mm Hutchison Sector slicks, I'll try those on for size. Unfortunately the rear hub on the Crux is SCS, so I can't swap it into the Aeroad to test.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

does anyone know why canyon bikes do not sell in Canada? 2 years ago Canada signed a free trade agreement with European Union.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Bordcla

by Bordcla

dcorn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm
Oh, and even with all that clearance at the fork, 36mm Clement MSO gravel tires do not fit. I pulled the front wheel off my Crux and stuck it on the Canyon just to see how much clearance there really was. If I ever get my 2nd wheelset back from the shop with 32mm Hutchison Sector slicks, I'll try those on for size. Unfortunately the rear hub on the Crux is SCS, so I can't swap it into the Aeroad to test.
Thanks! Although the cross tires wouldn't fit, am I correct in assuming that 28mm Conti's (+-31mm mm actual) are ok front and rear?

TonyM

by TonyM

spartan wrote:does anyone know why canyon bikes do not sell in Canada? 2 years ago Canada signed a free trade agreement with European Union.
And Canyon ships their bikes to almost all countries in the world!!!!!

I move 2 years ago to Canada and honestly I am quite surprised to see many brands not shipping to Canada or not represented in Canada. For example Sportful, a sister brand from Castelli and used by many Pros, doesn‘t ship to Canada and doesn’t even have a distributor here. Lightweight is also not shipping to Canada (they have now at least a few dealers).

Something seems to be complicated in Canada so that manufacturers don‘t ship to Canada.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

spartan wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 am
does anyone know why canyon bikes do not sell in Canada?
Most likely because Canyon does not want to deal with customer service for a market where they have no local representatives. Don't think the US assembly plant is quite up and running at full capacity yet but when it is I'd expect them to open a Canadian office sooner or later…

Marin

by Marin

Bordcla wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm
28mm Continental GP 4000s II tires
Careful, GP4000s 2 are huge, the 28s come out to 31mm on 17c rims. 25s are already 28+ mm wide on most modern rims.

dcorn

by dcorn

The only thing I can't say for sure is how tall of a tire the bike can take in the rear. The gap between 25c tire and seatstay cutout is at least 5mm, so chances are you'll be ok. I just don't want to buy a tire and mount it just to answer a question online :)

You definitely have space for a 2mm per side wider tire in the rear and the front has tons of room on the sides and top.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

As for the rear, I think that the answer was provided here:

http://road.cc/content/review/217032-ca ... isc-80-di2

See picture on page 2 of the comments section.

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

Bordcla, I've just seen this thread after what we've been saying in the other one. I'm also trying to get a Canyon in Canada (Vancouver). Seems we're trying to accomplish the exact same thing!

It looks like 28mm will be absolutely fine, depending on the wheel. I intend to ditch the Reynolds wheels for something a little wider, so I may run into problems, but I also intend to go tubeless, so many a Schwalbe 28mm is the solution.

TonyM

by TonyM

cyclotron8000 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm
Bordcla, I've just seen this thread after what we've been saying in the other one. I'm also trying to get a Canyon in Canada (Vancouver). Seems we're trying to accomplish the exact same thing!

It looks like 28mm will be absolutely fine, depending on the wheel. I intend to ditch the Reynolds wheels for something a little wider, so I may run into problems, but I also intend to go tubeless, so many a Schwalbe 28mm is the solution.
Which wheel set are you thinking about?

BTW, do you know if you have to pay customs (additionally to the 7% GST) on the Bike when importing it to Vancouver from the US?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

cyclotron8000 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm

While I have little concern about 28s generally, I wanted to make sure that 28 mm Conti GP were not a problem, because at 31mm wide and 29mm tall on a 27c rim, they are so big as to he 28s in name only. But those are the tires I like (durable, fast rolling, grippy in wet or dry conditions, comfy, easy to find and cheap).

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Bordcla wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

While I have little concern about 28s generally, I wanted to make sure that 28 mm Conti GP were not a problem, because at 31mm wide and 29mm tall on a 27c rim, they are so big as to he 28s in name only. But those are the tires I like (durable, fast rolling, grippy in wet or dry conditions, comfy, easy to find and cheap).
As far as i know, there is non exist 27mm internal width road rim yet.
And if you are talking about external width, that's meaningless for tire width.
Zipp 404 NSW have 27.8mm external width but only 17mm internal width,
an alloy rim, Velocity Aileron is 25mm external width but 20mm internal width so the tire will be wider on this rim than on wider external width Zipp above.

Roval CLX 50, Light-Bicycle 46mm and Venn Rev 50 have internal width around 21mm,
Enve 4.5 AR Disc have internal width of 25mm (hookless) are the widest internal width road wheel at the moment as far as i know.
Curious to know which rim will push the envelope that far as offering 27c rim.

TonyM

by TonyM

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 pm
Bordcla wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

As far as i know, there is non exist 27mm internal width road rim yet.
And if you are talking about external width, that's meaningless for tire width.
Zipp 404 NSW have 27.8mm external width but only 17mm internal width,
an alloy rim, Velocity Aileron is 25mm external width but 20mm internal width so the tire will be wider on this rim than on wider external width Zipp above.

Roval CLX 50, Light-Bicycle 46mm and Venn Rev 50 have internal width around 21mm,
Enve 4.5 AR Disc have internal width of 25mm (hookless) are the widest internal width road wheel at the moment as far as i know.
Curious to know which rim will push the envelope that far as offering 27c rim.
He meant 17c rims I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Correct. Typo. 17c. Not 27c.