Canyon Aeroad Disc - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

not worse than 3T STRADA :)

I would use it if wet but not debris on your roads ...
otherwhise don't

andreas

by andreas

The fork is too narrow, wheels will flex a bit when climbing and cornering, and it will rub off your paint and eventually dig into the carbon. To prove this to yourself without ruining the fork, you can put some white electrical tape inside it, go for a ride and see that it is now full of black stripes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

GP 4000s do not come anywhere near the fork, on the stock Reynolds or on 25mm inner width Enves. In the back though, radial clearance is ultra tight with the seat tube.

dcorn

by dcorn

MSPD wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 pm
Attached you find pictures of, maybe it is interesting for someone:

Do you think this is ridable or should i go for smaller tyres?
Refer to my pictures earlier in the thread for comparison. I've raced on gravel, ridden on wet roads with all sorts of crap on them. No issues with the small clearance. Never heard anything hit the frame or fork.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

dcorn wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 am
MSPD wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 pm
Attached you find pictures of, maybe it is interesting for someone:

Do you think this is ridable or should i go for smaller tyres?
Refer to my pictures earlier in the thread for comparison. I've raced on gravel, ridden on wet roads with all sorts of crap on them. No issues with the small clearance. Never heard anything hit the frame or fork.
In line with him. No issues whatsoever at the front. I get small pebbles rubbing on back of seat tube from time to time. Not enough for me to want to switch tires. Damages limited to a few shallow scratches on paintwork. Which I'll get repaired once they bother me enough.

MSPD

by MSPD

Thanks for your help and advice!

I have chosen this setup now:

Front wheel: Grand Prix 4-Season 28 on DT Swiss ER 1600 SPLINE db 32 2018. Inner width 20mm, real width 29mm. Picture attached, theres now enough space!

Rear wheel: Grand Prix 4-Season 28 on DT Swiss ER 1600 SPLINE db 32 2018. Inner width 20mm, real width 28,5mm.. I taped some electrical tape at the frame in the rear. If there is some damage after the ride, I will go for a 25mm at the rear. To get an impression of the tightness: The little "hair" thats between the tyre at the front (picture attached) grinds a little bit at the electrical tape at the back.

Strangely enough the front tyre measures 29mm and the rear tyre measures 28,5mm. I measured the width on several locations on the tyre und used the samer tyre on the front and on the rear. Maybe there are some tolerances between the wheels? Oder maybe the tyre is "softer" (and therefore wider) because of the removal at the rear wheel and the mounting at the front wheel?
Attachments
20180923_161131.jpg
20180921_164752.jpg

calleking

by calleking

Interesting. I recently sold my rim braked Aeroad but I am considering getting a disc version. Has anyone with a Canyon Aeroad disc ridden any of the newer aero disc bikes like the new Systemsix, Madone Disc or Venge?

I remember cyclingtips having an article about the Aeroad Disc where they mentioned that the fork was beefed up slightly to handle the extra forces coming from disc brakes with the end result being that the front was a bit harsh - or at least harsher than the rim braked version. Any experiences on that?

It's a minor thing but the hydraulic brake cables not being completely integrated puts me off a bit :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

dcorn

by dcorn

Looks good MSPD. I wouldn't be worried about any sort of rub with those clearances. You have way more space than my setup.

MSPD

by MSPD

dcorn wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Looks good MSPD. I wouldn't be worried about any sort of rub with those clearances. You have way more space than my setup.
Thanks a lot for your advice here and before.
Now I`m more calm and can tackle rougher cycleways! I use the stock Reynolds wheels now for good weather conditions and good roads.

pkaro

by pkaro

Does anyone have experience with clearance on the Aeroad with Rim Brakes (Non-Disc)? I was wondering if I could fit 30mm wide LB56 carbon rims, and put 25 mm Conti GP 5k on those.

Potential tight spots could be the brake pads as they may not fit between the rim and the forks/seatstay. Does anyone have any experience here? I intend to use ultegra r8000 brakes, but have been advised that I may need to swap to thinner brake pads and/or brakepad holders to eek out a few millimeters of extra clearance.

Beaver

by Beaver

pkaro wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am
Does anyone have experience with clearance on the Aeroad with Rim Brakes (Non-Disc)? I was wondering if I could fit 30mm wide LB56 carbon rims, and put 25 mm Conti GP 5k on those.

Potential tight spots could be the brake pads as they may not fit between the rim and the forks/seatstay. Does anyone have any experience here? I intend to use ultegra r8000 brakes, but have been advised that I may need to swap to thinner brake pads and/or brakepad holders to eek out a few millimeters of extra clearance.
The brakes should be fine with thinner brake pads, officially they can take 28mm wide rims.

But with the frame it could be quite tight regarding the pictures (rim and disc should have the same clearance). It seems to be made for 25mm tires on wide rims, but 30mm outside and 23mm inside width was not quite common when the bike was developed. :)

pkaro

by pkaro

Beaver wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:57 pm
pkaro wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am

The brakes should be fine with thinner brake pads, officially they can take 28mm wide rims.

But with the frame it could be quite tight regarding the pictures (rim and disc should have the same clearance). It seems to be made for 25mm tires on wide rims, but 30mm outside and 23mm inside width was not quite common when the bike was developed. :)
On a 17c rim, 28 mm Conti GP 4K tires measure in at 31 mm. Since 28 mm Conti GP Tires are known to fit the Aeroad this leads me to believe that a 30 mm wide rim, fitted with 25mm GP 5K tires (which have an inflated width of about 29 mm on 23c internal rims), should fit.

As the height of the tire is more decisive in questions of clearance with regards to picking up debris and scratching the frame, I think that the 25 mm tire on 23c internal should be fine as I don't suspect it to inflate higher than a 28mm on 17 rims.

What do you think about the above? You see I would love to run the 25mm tires with a rim wide enough to get a full aero benefit. Or perhaps I should just go with 28mm wide rims and be satisfied with a 23mm front tire, though I think braking, comfort, and handling aspects would be compromised.

Beaver

by Beaver

pkaro wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:04 pm
On a 17c rim, 28 mm Conti GP 4K tires measure in at 31 mm. Since 28 mm Conti GP Tires are known to fit the Aeroad this leads me to believe that a 30 mm wide rim, fitted with 25mm GP 5K tires (which have an inflated width of about 29 mm on 23c internal rims), should fit.

As the height of the tire is more decisive in questions of clearance with regards to picking up debris and scratching the frame, I think that the 25 mm tire on 23c internal should be fine as I don't suspect it to inflate higher than a 28mm on 17 rims.

What do you think about the above? You see I would love to run the 25mm tires with a rim wide enough to get a full aero benefit. Or perhaps I should just go with 28mm wide rims and be satisfied with a 23mm front tire, though I think braking, comfort, and handling aspects would be compromised.
I would agree, it should fit - but no guarantees. ;) And mounting the 23mm GP 5k on these 23mm inner diameter rims will be tough work. ;)

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I would not mount 23c tires on a 23-mm inner width rim. It'll be so splayed out as to risk blowing off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

richyk75

by richyk75

For those that are interested I fitted 28mm sworks 2bliss tyres onto my aeroad, with 19mm internal hunt wheel and was quite suprised with the clearance. [img]https://ibb.co/kgygbbx/img]