Canyon Aeroad Disc - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Does the Aeroad Disc frame clear 28mm Continental GP 4000s II tires?

Canyon customer service only recommends 25mm tires, presumably because they have to stay within statutory guidelines for clearance.

There seems to be sparse anecdotal evidence of people having successfully fitted 28mm Contis to their Aeroad, but no details regarding how much or how little clearance that leaves.

Would anyone have that combo and be able to post pictures or provide details on the amount of clearance with these specific tires?

dcorn

by dcorn

Do you have the bike in hand? What wheels are you using? That could make a difference in how big the tires get when mounted and inflated.

I just got an Aeroad disc with the stock Reynolds wheels and 25mm tires. Side to side, I'd say the clearance is fine for 28mm tires, I'm more worried about a taller tire hitting the seatstay.

One of the GCN guys had 28mm Zipp tangente tires on some wide Zipp wheels, but it wasn't a disc model. Not sure if that would make a difference, but I think the very wide wheel would make the tire not as tall and less likely to hit the seatstay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I'm asking because I'm Canadian and it's impossible to have the bike in hand unless you somehow get one delivered in the US, which I'm prepared to do but only when I decide to buy.

If I had one, I'd just test it out and quit bugging people here...

What size Aeroad do you ride? If I bought the tires and shipped them to you, would you be prepared to mount them on for science's sake? The shipping back and forth would be a small price for me to pay to know for sure if I can buy the Aeroad or am confined to the Ultimate.

moyboy

by moyboy

Someone posted a pic on a bike.cc review in the comments.

See link.

http://road.cc/content/review/217032-ca ... ted&page=1

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Looks tight but not necessarily more so than the 25mm Conti's on my S3. No idea if it fits the front though...

dcorn

by dcorn

All the initial reviews I read of the bike said it would fit 28mm tires and the ultimate would fit 30s.

I'd say the chainstay and fork clearance are plenty big. I can take pics tonight with the stock 23 and 25mm tires, maybe some measurements of clearance.

Also, the 25mm tire on the rear looks HUGE to me, and I've been riding 32mm slicks on a cross bike for the last year. I'll measure the stock tire width as well.
Last edited by dcorn on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

Depending on the wheel/ rim and tire combo the measurements are different.

@Bordcla: which wheels are you playing to use?

Alumen

by Alumen

Brake calipers are playing a role as well...

I am considering to buy 28mm tyres as well, I know that my brakes (and frame) can handle the width, but I am not 100% sure about the height of the tyre will fit in my frame.

Especially Conti's can be tricky since their tyre shape. They have some kind of point shape, where for instance Schwalbe is more round. Given that shape, and Canyon's comment about the 25mm statement, mounting 28mm Conti's can be very tricky. I would opt for a different brand though.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... i-23-25-28
Here you can find the measured sizes of the Conti 28mm tyres, maybe that helps.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

calleking

by calleking

I have a pair of Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 28mm I'm going to put on my ENVE 4.5s and test on my Aeroad.

Just waiting for a pair of G-One Speed to arrive for my Crux before I give it a go. I also think wide rims are favorable as they don't grow as much in height. GP4000 S2 are way wider mounted. Usually come out at 2-3mm wider than specced with a wider rim. That's my experience at least.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

Bordcla

by Bordcla

That illustrates how difficult it is to know. I'll use the stock Reynolds wheels if I get the Aeroad. Not the lightest but not pigs either. If I get the Ultimate, the carbon faired aluminum Mavics will have to be replaced, which is another reason why I'd favor the Aeroad if it will fit my preferred tires.

Reason I want THESE tires and not other 28s is because they are the biggest 28s, I want the air volume because we have terrible roads here, plus GP4000s roll great, grip super well in all conditions (unbeatable in the wet), last reasonably long and can be found for cheap easily.

At present, the only aero disc bike that can take them is the Scott Foil Premium Disc, but that is a whopping THREE TIMES more expensive than the Aeroad. Can't believe the difference even if it gets 9170 instead of 8070 and Zipp 303s instead of the Reynolds... It's 10 grand more!

gaspard123

by gaspard123

why does the scott foil have to be the premium? there are a couple models below that one that boast the same clearance

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Because as my primary bike, I want a nice one, and a light one (I plan on doing the Haute Route with it, among other things). Therefore, I cross shopped the best frame I could get from various brands.

Thing is, other than Canyon (and, to a lesser extent, Giant), the prices on top-end frames are ludicrous! Only Canyon and Giant allow to get a premium frame at a decent price. For this kind of price, you don't even get a 2nd tier frame from the other brands.

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2, crappy wheels: CAD$5.5K equivalent
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2, decent wheels: CAD$5.6 equivalent
Giant TCR Advanced SL with Ultegra Di2 so-so but usable wheels; CAD$6.8K

Trek Emonda SLR H2, mech Dura-Ace, so-so but usable wheels: CAD$9.0K
Spec Tarmac SL6 disc when available: surely $10K+
Foil Premium Disc: CAD$16.5K you read that right! Even the 2nd tier frame is close to CAD$7.5K with Ultegra Di2 and throw-away wheels, or a whopping $2K more than the Canyons.

Prices on bicycles have become frankly insane. It used to be that only the flagships with all of the crazy light equipment and Dura-Ace Di2 were 5 figures. Now you've got Treks and a bunch of others with 15-16 and $17K bikes..., and anything remotely nice is 5 figures.

dcorn

by dcorn

Here are pics of the stock tires on stock Reynolds wheels on my Aeroad Disc, Conti GP Attack (front, 23mm) and Force (rear, 25mm). The stock wheels, even at only 17mm internal width, make the tires a good 2mm wider than designated, and the bike can still take plenty more. The rear chainstay has less clearance than the fork, but I measured the rear clearance and there is at least 4mm on each side of the tire.

Front tire clearance

Front tire width

Rear tire clearance

Rear tire width

TonyM

by TonyM

@ Bordcla: concerning the bad roads, in which province do you live? (I am living in BC)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

The Scott and the BMC are top notch quality however. However the pricing is always a „swiss“ pricing.