2018 Propel Advanced SL - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I'm given to understand that Giant pegs the the new Propel SL as clearing 28 mm tires. Has anyone tested it with FAT 28mm tires (Continental GP 4000sII)?

If it does, it may be my one-bike quiver. Could get rid of the S3 instead of buying another bike that would compete with it (since I need a bike that can accommodate 28mm Contis given the terrible roads I ride on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hogehoge

by hogehoge

I have a Propel disc and I think a tire that is exactly 28mm is just about fine. 25mm Schwalbe Ones are closer to 28mm on my TCR, so the 28mm Schwalbe One would be too tight in my opinion because if a wheel came of little of true it would most likelu rub the frame.
I can post pictures tomorrow, currently I have the stock 25mm which measure exactly 25mm.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Do post. It'd be informative!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

It wouldn't surprise me if it will clear 28 now that it has disk brakes. I could get 28's on my 2015, but even with replacing the brakes with Fouriers the tire would rub on the cable in the rear. That was what really limited that frame to 25's. Getting rid of the v-brakes would allow for 28's with no other modifications to the frame.

{edit}, I would agree that a wheel that's out of true by more than a few mm might rub on the stays.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

hogehoge

by hogehoge

Here are pictures, the tightest point is the horizontal clearance on the rear chainstays. Everywhere else seems to have a lots of space for larger tires.

Stock rear 25mm tire

Clearance above rear wheel

Clearance at lower left chainstay - the tightest point

Above 5mm spare each side at the tightest point on the rear stock 25mm tire

25mm Schwalbe One is much wider on a Giant rim

Stock Propel 25mm front tire

Lots of vertical and horizontal clearance on the front for larger tire.

spartan

by spartan

can you please post more pics of you propel disc. i believe you are the first WW member to own one. congrats.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

hogehoge

by hogehoge

This is the only other photo I have right now. It has a temopary stem and bars on at the moment as I'm waiting for a longer Propel specific stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com