DA 9100 vs ee brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

None of the above, I'd try to source NOS or good condition 7900 brakes
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

I'm debating between the DA and ee direct mount for my next build. I'm assuming they both have as much stopping power as I'll ever need so, although I love the weight of the ee brakes, they are just so brute ugly it's going to be DA for me.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I’ve ridden Shimano for the last two years, before that Campagnolo and avenge ViAS brakes and am now on EE’s.

Shimano Dura Ace just work flawlessly- I found the QR was a little sticky on the new 9100 series although less so on the DM version.

I’m currently running Swiss Stop pads however I’m going to change back to Dura Ace pads for a little extra stopping power.

Something to keep in mind though is that I’m weighing in at 72kgs + 6.5kg bike and the stopping power is suffice. If you were heavy and on carbons I’d perhaps suggest Dura Ace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I had 9100 brakes when I had the Crumpton but had eeBrakes on the Litespeed for awhile until I got the new Enve 3.4s. Braking was atrocious with the new Enve textured track. This was pretty frustrating as I had quite a few carbon rims work perfectly well with eeBrakes. I first replaced with SR single/dual brakes, then Dual/Dual pivot. Braking was okay. Then I upgraded the entire groupset to 9100 and then braking became superb.

I'd consider going back to ee though. They're good brakes but with the textured tracks I think they need more leverage than the ee can provide.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Had EE on the C59 now have 9100. For everyday riding (including gravel, lots of rolling and little climbing/descending) I trust only 9100.

If you are 120 lbs, building a WW bike with WW parts all over it and climbing all day then by all means get EE.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

nickstea

by nickstea

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions and experiences. At the end of the day I’ve decided to go win 9100 mainly for esthetics.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Good choice.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The remarks about weight and terrain are interesting. Uphill means downhill comes too. I'm 74kg and live in a very hilly area with zero complaints about the power of EE. Also riding almost exclusively on carbon.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I have DA9000 on one bike and ee's on another. I honestly can't feel a difference in terms of power, but think that the modulation across the lever stroke is better with the ee's and I personally like that the cable routing brings the cable in tighter and doesn't leave it hanging out in the wind.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

My bike is black with red accents. The ee's in black with the red badge match perfectly.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How much of a pain is it regularly going from a 28mm rim (C60) to a 22mm rim (DT Oxic) with pad setup. At present I can just use the Barrel adjust and swap pads on the 9100 callipers.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:18 am
How much of a pain is it regularly going from a 28mm rim (C60) to a 22mm rim (DT Oxic) with pad setup. At present I can just use the Barrel adjust and swap pads on the 9100 callipers.

I hated doing it personally...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Nefarious86 wrote:How much of a pain is it regularly going from a 28mm rim (C60) to a 22mm rim (DT Oxic) with pad setup. At present I can just use the Barrel adjust and swap pads on the 9100 callipers.

I wouldn’t get them, they’re pretty average compare to 9100, I had them on a super six for a few weeks but quickly changed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sad panda...

What about the SpeedStop from Bontrager?

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

An older thread where I gave an unbiased review as a mechanic. Now it is biased as a couple of months after I posted this, I coughed up the dough and got the ee's. Absolutely love them. In every aspect. Weight, modulation, aesthetic, cable management, every measurable metric they are preferred.
Never cheer before you know who is winning