Respraying a Carbon frame.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wjmarks

by wjmarks

I have bit the bullet and sanded all of the decals off my Tarmac frame to reveal some lovely looking carbon weave layup - now the question is what to do and how to do it.

My original plan was to respray it metallic blue with black decals but now after seeing how nice the bare carbon is I think i'm going to spray with a clear lacquer.

Can anyone tell me what the process for this would be and can I just use Acrylic Lacquer from my local motor parts shop?

In my head I have the following -

Remove all components and store safely. (Done)
Remove decals with 250 grit wet and dry. (Done)
Sand the frame with wet and dry starting with 400 and working up to 1000 until it is silky smooth.
De-grease with warm water and washing up liquid to ensure all the oil/grease has been removed.
Dry well and tack rag to make sure all dust etc is gone.
Spray with a clear lacquer (a few thin coats)
Apply decals (blue - where do you recommend to get these?)
Another thin layer of lacquer to protect decals?
Rebuild!
Ride and enjoy!

Thanks in advance.

wilwil

by wilwil

To get a good finish on a bike frame with rattle cans will be difficult if not impossible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Get someone pro to paint the clear coat. It's very very difficult with a spray. I don't think they will charge you anymore than your time wasted and the cost of the spray.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Plastic dip

glepore

by glepore

Matte clear is relatively easy and would follow the steps you have except I'd use acetone before the tack rag rather than water-any silicone residue will cause fisheyes. Gloss is harder to spray, as all areas need to be fully wetted out but not run-takes some experience. Plus, this amount of spray has to be done in a garage, not in living space. I've had good results with VHT automotive clear (intended for clearcoating wheels) if you insist on gloss.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Orlok

by Orlok

Let it matte, that's beautiful and easy to maintain. :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Pictures? Not seen a stripped Spesh

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have done the same with my evo. Matte clear. Excellent and robust results. I would also just give the frame a quick rub over qith your hand after each coat has dried to remove any loose bits of clear yo ensure a smooth finish.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wjmarks

by wjmarks

Thanks for all the responses!

I am now in 2 minds whether to go for the clearcoat on the weave or not as there are a few wee imperfections, so am now thinking of satin black as opposed to gloss black and I may also look into a satin finish clearcoa too.

The other thing that was mentioned was plastic dip - not sure if there's anyone in my area that does it, I know of someone that does vinyl wrapping, is it the same or a different process and is it expensive?

I am in no rush to finish the job and that's why i'd like to cover all of my options before diving into something i'm not going to like.

I would appreciate any other ideas that you may have.

glepore

by glepore

All carbon frames have areas of imperfections. Auto filler (glazing putty or bondo) sand and spray matte black, then clear remaining carbon.
Plasti dip is a spray finish that goes on like spray paint but can be peeled off.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

wjmarks

by wjmarks

I looked at the website and a few youtubes for the Plasti Dip and it looks to be a good product and maybe a way forward for me to go - would it be durable enough for a bike?

Orlok

by Orlok

wjmarks wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:13 pm
I looked at the website and a few youtubes for the Plasti Dip and it looks to be a good product and maybe a way forward for me to go - would it be durable enough for a bike?
If you don't wash the bike with high-pressure and not use air-supply to dry your drive-train it will be durable for some time.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

hannawald

by hannawald

metallic blue, may be with some nicely coloured logos, would be my choice from those options, made by pro, i think there are too many black bikes:) it may just be heavier than clear coat.

I would not do it myself as i think it is too much work sand it again, if the result is not good. i did it once with carbon cranks and the coat was not hard enough so it was much more prone to scratches than original coat.

thePrince

by thePrince

I recently took this type of project on myself...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147564

I think you have to ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Are you the kind of person that likes to tinker, learn, and bite off a bit more than most people? If no, then stop, handoff to a pro. If yes, continue to question 2.
2. Are you going to be OK w/ anything less than a perfect result for this frame since it is your first attempt. If no, then stop, handoff to a pro. If yes, continue.

You have most of the prep steps right, but +1 on the acetone before you paint.

Since I already had the air compressor, I grabbed a gun off amazon. Add some quality automative paint, some custom decals using a Cricut, and it was a really fun/rewarding project. I've been riding the bike since and the paint/clear has held up perfectly except for a tiny spot where the frame took a rock while on the roof rack going 80mph. My $.02.

glepore

by glepore

thePrince wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:41 pm
I recently took this type of project on myself...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147564

I think you have to ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Are you the kind of person that likes to tinker, learn, and bite off a bit more than most people? If no, then stop, handoff to a pro. If yes, continue to question 2.
2. Are you going to be OK w/ anything less than a perfect result for this frame since it is your first attempt. If no, then stop, handoff to a pro. If yes, continue.

You have most of the prep steps right, but +1 on the acetone before you paint.

Since I already had the air compressor, I grabbed a gun off amazon. Add some quality automative paint, some custom decals using a Cricut, and it was a really fun/rewarding project. I've been riding the bike since and the paint/clear has held up perfectly except for a tiny spot where the frame took a rock while on the roof rack going 80mph. My $.02.
Excellent result and advice. I've shot quite a few bikes, and cars. Without a dedicated workspace, this isn't an easy project. Working with a catalytic clear isn't easy either. Its the little details, and the learning curve is steepish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com