New Time frame to be announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

muti

by muti

If my understanding for the seat plate is wrong, I apologise. I don't want to mislead anyone. I am not affiliated to Time in any way.Due to friendships and past racing days, I am "obliged" to ride Colnagos almost exclusively! But as I stated, I don't judge any frame only by the weight. I had enough of supposedly sub 800 grams frames which ended up to be substantially heavier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I find it completely dissapointing... First of all it's ugly, that seatclamp looks like it belongs to an early 00's era "aero" bike, and so does the fork and that hideous stem and handlebar. Then there is the weight.... 840 gr for a size S unpainted???? and there are people and sites calling that "superlight"??? there are aero bikes out there that weigh LESS!!!!come on people!!!!...and last but not least, all that thing comes with a very high price, justifiable for me because of it being completely made in house in France but realy not worth it because of all of the above....I do really hope that they continue to produce in France, but they should also definitely fire their lead designer and hire someone who keeps up with the changes in cycling, or even better, who is ahead of them!

mortirolo

by mortirolo

DCcyclist wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:02 pm
What is Time's customer base? I am from the US and I have seen only one person riding a Time bike past five years. I can see people who can drop $10k on an F10 buying it. Or, if you don't have that kind of a budget you can buy a stiff TCR. I don't know a single person in my circle talking about this bike.

I also agree with others the fork is super ugly.
What is Prokofiev's blu-ray customer base? I am from the US and I have seen only one person to listen Prokofiev past five years. I can see people who can drop $10k on an Justin Bieber's baseball cap buying it. Or, if you don't have that kind of a budget you can buy a Rihanna bra. I don't know a single person in my circle talking about this Prokofiev.

I also agree with others the Prokofiev's music is super ugly.

Time sell about 2-4000 frame/year, I think.
It's an exclusive products, like Aston Martin.
You can buy many taiwanese, chinese prepreg hot press frame like Pinarello, Bianchi, Giant, Specialized... or an RTM frame from France.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

TonyM

by TonyM

mortirolo wrote:
DCcyclist wrote:
What is Time's customer base? I am from the US and I have seen only one person riding a Time bike past five years. I can see people who can drop $10k on an F10 buying it. Or, if you don't have that kind of a budget you can buy a stiff TCR. I don't know a single person in my circle talking about this bike.

What is Prokofiev's blu-ray customer base? I am from the US and I have seen only one person to listen Prokofiev past five years. I can see people who can drop $10k on an Justin Bieber's baseball cap buying it. Or, if you don't have that kind of a budget you can buy a Rihanna bra. I don't know a single person in my circle talking about this Prokofiev.

Love that comparison !!

TonyM

by TonyM

Time is like Pagani supercars.

https://www.pagani.com

You won‘t lot of then on the roads. And definitely not a lot in the US....

The US is a mass market for brands like Specialized, Trek, Giant etc.....or for Italian boutique frames with a large customer base like Pinarello, Colnago and Bianchi.

Time or Pagani are real boutique brands. They don‘t look at the mass markets.

muti

by muti

Plus this Tour thing... is in France! Cycling(and frame sales ) is pretty big there...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:09 am
Time is like Pagani supercars.

https://www.pagani.com

You won‘t lot of then on the roads. And definitely not a lot in the US....

The US is a mass market for brands like Specialized, Trek, Giant etc.....or for Italian boutique frames with a large customer base like Pinarello, Colnago and Bianchi.

Time or Pagani are real boutique brands. They don‘t look at the mass markets.

Except in this case the product is inferior in all specs that matter compared to some of the much cheaper mass-market frames. Time is less Pagani Zonda and more Maserati Quattroporte.

RyanH

by RyanH

TobinHatesYou wrote:
The stiffer the rim, the more brake rub you will get. Think of the horizontal plane of the rim as a see-saw. The lateral forces going into the bottom of the wheel during a sprint or during cornering are preserved in the opposite direction on the other end. A rim that isn't as stiff will just flex at the bottom while the top deflects less.
I fully understand that and if you reread what I wrote, I stated that it leads me to believe they underbuilt something in the rear triangle. Why did I come to that conclusion? Because I have Enve 3.4 laced to some of the stiffest hubs on the market (Wheels Mfg) and I don't get brake rub on my Litespeed, a titanium frame, nor have I experienced brake rub on many of my other frames.

Time has a history of producing noodles in one way or another...

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

mortirolo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 pm
DCcyclist wrote:

I also agree with others the Prokofiev's music is super ugly.

Time sell about 2-4000 frame/year, I think.
It's an exclusive products, like Aston Martin.
You can buy many taiwanese, chinese prepreg hot press frame like Pinarello, Bianchi, Giant, Specialized... or an RTM frame from France.
LOL ok understood!!
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

RussellS

by RussellS

muti wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm
I had enough of supposedly sub 800 grams frames which ended up to be substantially heavier.
Aha!!! So you are actually saying the Time frame (CLAIMED 840g for unpainted Small) weighs 950, 980, 1000, maybe 1050 grams. Not the claimed 840 for a Small unpainted. That is so much better to put out a 1000+ gram frame in the tiniest size. I'm guessing the Chinese made Painted Trek carbon frames might weigh close to 1000 grams for a Medium size.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RussellS wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 am
muti wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm
I had enough of supposedly sub 800 grams frames which ended up to be substantially heavier.
Aha!!! So you are actually saying the Time frame (CLAIMED 840g for unpainted Small) weighs 950, 980, 1000, maybe 1050 grams. Not the claimed 840 for a Small unpainted. That is so much better to put out a 1000+ gram frame in the tiniest size. I'm guessing the Chinese made Painted Trek carbon frames might weigh close to 1000 grams for a Medium size.
My 54cm Emonda SLR Disc with Trek-Segafredo paint/decals and hanger pre-installed weighed 760g. That is within my expectations of how much three coats of paint add to a 665g U5 vaporcoat frame. Some brands are just more willing to stretch the truth than others. See all the 56cm Tarmac Ultralights coming in at 820-850g for the rim brake version...

1415chris

by 1415chris

The way they solved seatpost clamp is hideous, these popping out bolts look cheapish.
Or are they motor fumes extractors? :)

mortirolo

by mortirolo

RyanH wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:21 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
The stiffer the rim, the more brake rub you will get. Think of the horizontal plane of the rim as a see-saw. The lateral forces going into the bottom of the wheel during a sprint or during cornering are preserved in the opposite direction on the other end. A rim that isn't as stiff will just flex at the bottom while the top deflects less.
I fully understand that and if you reread what I wrote, I stated that it leads me to believe they underbuilt something in the rear triangle. Why did I come to that conclusion? Because I have Enve 3.4 laced to some of the stiffest hubs on the market (Wheels Mfg) and I don't get brake rub on my Litespeed, a titanium frame, nor have I experienced brake rub on many of my other frames.

Time has a history of producing noodles in one way or another...
"Composite hub flange is a bad joke by ENVE."
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

ak47

by ak47

The thing is Time is high quality frame and won't crack after 5, 10 or 15 thousand kilometers, but will serve you at least 10x that. It's a handmade frame made to the highest quality possible. I think Time is one of the 2 or maybe 3 brands in the world which wovens it's carbon fiber.

I think it was pista palace shop who shared a picture of a Time frame which was used by some US pro, I think Eric Marcotte. It had something like 50k kms and the paint was seriously worn out, but the carbon was still intact. That says it all about QUALITY.

IMHO Comparing Time vs S-Works or Trek is like comparing Aston Martin vs Nissan GT-R. Aston Martin is pure exotic and class. GT-R's performance is slightly better, but it has some quality and reliability issues.
Last edited by ak47 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com