New Time frame to be announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Especially seatpost and toptube area looks good but that new fork desing is ugly. Weight is still disappointment for "climbing bike" as they are marketing it.

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

According to this: https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... au-de-time complete bikes start at 3200 euros

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

nafaiutb wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 pm
According to this: https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... au-de-time complete bikes start at 3200 euros
That is on the cheaper, heavier '21' frame though. Says the price for the '01' frameset is €4290.

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

You’re right - I hadn’t picked that up

TK421

by TK421

For several years I have been keeping an eye on Time for my next frame/bike purchase. I was quite keen to find a dealer that sells Time in the UK (not many of them around) as the Scylon was one of the options when it came out, but this ugly fork ruined it all for me. The scarcity of their representatives in the county made it even more difficult to justify the effort, so I didn’t bother and went with colnago. I like innovation, but this fork...omg, just like Look 795 kills the bike!

RussellS

by RussellS

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 am
A climbing bike weighing 840g without paint is so impressive in 2018. And that heavy fork is now equipped rather than an option. The color scheme is also incredible.
I'm assuming there is a little bit of sarcasm in this post. 840 isn't too astounding today. Maybe 10, 20 years ago, 840 grams was an astounding weight. 20 or so years ago people were flipping out about that Litespeed Ghisallo being under 1000 grams. I'm betting that fork is at least 350 grams or much more. Black, gray, white for color. I know France isn't Italy for fashion. But I think there are fashion shows and that Victoria Secret underwear show every year in Paris. So I know France has some fashion sense. Black, gray, white, isn't too fashionable.

Geoff

by Geoff

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Personal opinion:
-I am very, very fond of the new frame design. It's close to my 'ideal' in the details and shape. The other two being a Neil Pryde Bura SL (1st iteration) and Berk's custom frames.
-The fork does look nice in certain color schemes, but overall it is a miss. I understand that the activ fork does help performance overall by removing counter-productive vibrations in the road, but it is still beastly compared to the svelte frame. I wonder if an aftermarket fork, perhaps like a 3T funda (their lightest one) or a Cannondale HiMod would be a better match if the taper works as well.
-I still believe that Time produces amazing carbon frames, their technology and approach is fantastic.
-The weight is disappointing after all the wait for their new 'climbing' frame. It would have been very impressive if, given the time Time had to design this frame, they were hitting the low 700g mark for a size M.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RyanH

by RyanH

MatosVelo wrote: Only disappointment, Enve wheels are too flexible laterally.
The bike radar article also commented on brake rub. I find this very interesting as the Enve 3.4 are pretty stiff wheels so I'm thinking the dropouts might be underbuilt and allowing flex. Does Time not know how to build a frame that doesn't flex a lot somewhere?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RyanH wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:42 am
MatosVelo wrote: Only disappointment, Enve wheels are too flexible laterally.
The bike radar article also commented on brake rub. I find this very interesting as the Enve 3.4 are pretty stiff wheels so I'm thinking the dropouts might be underbuilt and allowing flex. Does Time not know how to build a frame that doesn't flex a lot somewhere?
The stiffer the rim, the more brake rub you will get. Think of the horizontal plane of the rim as a see-saw. The lateral forces going into the bottom of the wheel during a sprint or during cornering are preserved in the opposite direction on the other end. A rim that isn't as stiff will just flex at the bottom while the top deflects less.

ichobi

by ichobi

Use stronger spokes! Rims these days are quite overly stiff but we have less and less spokes. If you are heavy, either use stronger or more spokes.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Composite hub flange is a bad joke by ENVE.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

muti

by muti

My general impression is also very positive. I like the clean lines of the design. About the comments for
the weight, don't you forget that it includes (unavoidably)the seat clamp. Plus Time uses a headset design without compression plug, so for the weenies (after all this is weight weenies site ),they are some savings there. Personally I care more about the dynamic qualities and the safety of the frame than the weight itself. BUT, I really think that TIME SHOULD offer a seatpost with at least 15mm setback as an option for the 01 frame!
The 21 frame on the other hand is spot on. 2500 euros for a frame made in France, with the quality of Time ,without proprietary seatpost, is indeed very tempting.
P.S.I agree that the Enve carbon hubs are a joke.

wingguy

by wingguy

muti wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm
About the comments for
the weight, don't you forget that it includes (unavoidably)the seat clamp.
Why does it unavoidably include the seat clamp? Look says the weight is for the raw frame, I'd be very surprised if they included the clamping plate with its two bolts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

What is Time's customer base? I am from the US and I have seen only one person riding a Time bike past five years. I can see people who can drop $10k on an F10 buying it. Or, if you don't have that kind of a budget you can buy a stiff TCR. I don't know a single person in my circle talking about this bike.

I also agree with others the fork is super ugly.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc