What tyre do you recomend for race and training in good weather and road???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaReef

by DaReef

Another vote for Spec Turbo Cottons. They really are good.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

After years on the GP4000s, I started to experiment with different clinchers in the past year. I tried the Vittoria Corsa G+ and Specialized Turbo Cottons.
Bottom line: for mixed racing and training I'd still pick the GP4000. The main reason is durability and price.

I found the Turbo Cottons to be great, except the fact that they only lasted for about 1,000-1,500 miles and I'm not too heavy. With the higher price they cost about 4-6x more than the contis.
The vittorias are great in general, I think they come very close to the gp4000 in everything, they have a better road feel and look better. Although in wet they started to flat just after about 1,500 miles. I managed to flat 7 times during a wet week.

For now I'm still using the vittorias, but if I start flatting again just after 1,500 miles, I'm going to run back to the good ol' contis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

a20dth

by a20dth

Today test Michelín Power Competition 23 and the real size is 24,1mm in my Mavic Cosmic SL C (17mm interior and 25 exterior) whith Continental Supersonic tuve.

Conditions 11°C avg and somtimes in wet road.

Impresions: I can feel more agility in the front wheel and roll very smoth how It was more easy. The grip It's okey I don't attack the corners to full but the Michelín work well.

But in wet conditions I don't know where is the limit or how much grip there are.

I don't know to do. If buy a Michelin Power Competition 25 for the rear wheel or buy Vittoria Corsa G+ 23 (front and rear, real size 25mm +/-) and put the Michelín in my training wheels.

dim

by dim

life is too short to worry about how many 'extra miles' you can get out of a tyre ...

if you are very passionate about cyling, very competitive and fast for your age .... buy the best .... even if it means that you need to buy an extra 2 sets of good tyres in a 12 month period

if not, get a set of Schwalbe Durano Plus

don't get me wrong .... GP 4000SII are a good (budget) tyre 8)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

+1 for S-Works Turbo.

I have never used Turbo cotton but that's my next on the list (also 28mm GP4000s after). I was riding Conti 25mm GP 4000s before and I thought it was the best tire in the world. It's really hard to put it in words but S-Works tire is like buttery. It's really really good. I just keep experimenting.

I am also riding with reduced PSIs nowadays that might have contributed to that smooth feeling.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

TonyM

by TonyM

dim wrote:life is too short to worry about how many 'extra miles' you can get out of a tyre ...

if you are very passionate about cyling, very competitive and fast for your age .... buy the best .... even if it means that you need to buy an extra 2 sets of good tyres in a 12 month period

THIS!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm very unlucky on Michelin Power Competition. All of my 3 tires (2 23c and 1 25c) quick flat immediately by sidewall slice within 1 month. The air leaking sound doesn't last a second. it's all a quick and loud 'Pissh' then i see long gash near side wall toward center that is too big for repair. It could be some sharp metal, or sharp stones. Whatever, i don't flat this way on other tires but Michelin.

Conti 4000sII are fine but boring.
Vittoria G+ flat more on wet because it is too grippy that it attract stones to embed into it.
Currently I'm running S-works Turbo (not cotton) 26c. It run narrower than 25c Conti and Vittoria, Pirelli. And it seems fine, albeit feel slower than Michelin Power Competition.
I kept an eye on Continental Force III and Attack III, 23c and 25c combo. looks to be a good tires combo to try next.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

dim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm
life is too short to worry about how many 'extra miles' you can get out of a tyre ...

Again this! A thousand times this! For those selecting a high performing clincher for training rides, club rides, group rides, enjoyment rides, etc...........durability should be the last thing on your list! Enjoy the performance and feel for what it is! Budget in more tires per year! It's totally worth it.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

a20dth

by a20dth

All infomration I read say the Michelin haven´t good grip in cool and wet conditions in the corners, It's probabily in pedestrian crossing I have the same problem in a town circuit. I don´t want some problem when I go in the pelton max speed in the corners.
Probably go to Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm or Contiental Attack&Force III (I prefer this Conti combo than GP4000SII because It weight less). The S-Works Turbo Cotton is a good tyre for competitions but I woult like to use only one set of wheels for all (I want sell the Campagnolo Scirocco) and It's not a opcion for the milles and price.

Continental say that 23mm minimun press is 7,5 bar but Can I put 7 bar without problem?

TonyM

by TonyM

a20dth wrote:All infomration I read say the Michelin haven´t good grip in cool and wet conditions in the corners, It's probabily in pedestrian crossing I have the same problem in a town circuit. I don´t want some problem when I go in the pelton max speed in the corners.
Probably go to Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm or Contiental Attack&Force III (I prefer this Conti combo than GP4000SII because It weight less). The S-Works Turbo Cotton is a good tyre for competitions but I woult like to use only one set of wheels for all (I want sell the Campagnolo Scirocco) and It's not a opcion for the milles and price.

Continental say that 23mm minimun press is 7,5 bar but Can I put 7 bar without problem?

You asked for a tire in good weather and road....and you received many recommendations.

Now you want the same tire for cool and wet weather?????? That are usually not the same tire...Vittoria has the G+ control, etc....

BTW weigh is not everything!
Traction and rolling resistance are as much important!!

dmp

by dmp

I've been very happy with the Michelin Power comp's, and have not had any of the problems that Hexsense noted. Durability has been quite good. That said, I got a pair of the Corsa G+ on sale and out of curiosity will try them out when the Michelins wear out (well over 1000 miles on them so far). And yes, The 23 Powers do measure more than 24mm- 25.1, in fact, inflated to 85psi on Stans 360 rims.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm
dim wrote:life is too short to worry about how many 'extra miles' you can get out of a tyre ...

THIS!
I know that value and price are rarely a topic on this forum. Although if you ride more than 10,000 miles, that means about 9 rear and and about 6 front Turbo Cotton tire. It's almost impossible to get the tire on sale, so that's $1,200 + tax ($80/tire) in the US per year.

With the GP4000 it will be around 4 rear tires and 3 front (tops). From the UK that means ~$520. So that's the reason I'd give GP4000 the best value badge.

Comparing the Durano Plus to GP4000 is a good joke, but it's probably more expensive to run Durano Plus rather than GP4000.

@TonyM I'm happy for you that it's not an issue to spend twice as much on tire, but durability is still a property for a high performance tire. And while sky is happy with the contis I wouldn't worry about performance that much. Tour 2017 TT, anyone?

TonyM

by TonyM

nemeseri wrote:
I know that value and price are rarely a topic on this forum. Although if you ride more than 10,000 miles, that means about 9 rear and and about 6 front Turbo Cotton tire. It's almost impossible to get the tire on sale, so that's $1,200 + tax ($80/tire) in the US per year.

With the GP4000 it will be around 4 rear tires and 3 front (tops). From the UK that means ~$520. So that's the reason I'd give GP4000 the best value badge.

Comparing the Durano Plus to GP4000 is a good joke, but it's probably more expensive to run Durano Plus rather than GP4000.

@TonyM I'm happy for you that it's not an issue to spend twice as much on tire, but durability is still a property for a high performance tire. And while sky is happy with the contis I wouldn't worry about performance that much. Tour 2017 TT, anyone?

FYI: Veloflex and Vittoria are cheaper than the Turbo cotton...They usually cost like $40.

Pros (also Team Sky) use tubulars not clincher. The tubulars are not similar to the clinchers.

The Conti 4k are definitely good tires. Fast and not that expensive.
To me however too harsh. I prefer to have the tires I like and save the money somewhere else...

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

In terms of smooth rolling, grippy cotton walled tyres do many forum members run the Veloflex masters/records? I have read many positive reviews in terms of 'road feel' but hard to get a definitive response on their wet weather performance and durability. Bike rolling resistance has the masters/corsa at 13.4W and the records at 9.9W @ 120psi.

Would be interesting to see if someone could rate these against the Turbo cottons/GP4000s/Mitchelin power/Vittorias etc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

vanillaflyweight wrote:In terms of smooth rolling, grippy cotton walled tyres do many forum members run the Veloflex masters/records? I have read many positive reviews in terms of 'road feel' but hard to get a definitive response on their wet weather performance and durability. Bike rolling resistance has the masters/corsa at 13.4W and the records at 9.9W @ 120psi.

Would be interesting to see if someone could rate these against the Turbo cottons/GP4000s/Mitchelin power/Vittorias etc
My Veloflex Corsa (= Master) are good for up to 3,000 km (front) and 2,500 km (rear) per tire. I weigh 147 lbs and run them with 95 psi with latex tubes.

On the wet much they are better than my Vittora Open Corsa (non G+). But less good than my Vittoria Open Pavé.