What tyre do you recomend for race and training in good weather and road???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 am
nemeseri wrote:
I know that value and price are rarely a topic on this forum. Although if you ride more than 10,000 miles, that means about 9 rear and and about 6 front Turbo Cotton tire. It's almost impossible to get the tire on sale, so that's $1,200 + tax ($80/tire) in the US per year.

With the GP4000 it will be around 4 rear tires and 3 front (tops). From the UK that means ~$520. So that's the reason I'd give GP4000 the best value badge.

Comparing the Durano Plus to GP4000 is a good joke, but it's probably more expensive to run Durano Plus rather than GP4000.

@TonyM I'm happy for you that it's not an issue to spend twice as much on tire, but durability is still a property for a high performance tire. And while sky is happy with the contis I wouldn't worry about performance that much. Tour 2017 TT, anyone?

FYI: Veloflex and Vittoria are cheaper than the Turbo cotton...They usually cost like $40.

Pros (also Team Sky) use tubulars not clincher. The tubulars are not similar to the clinchers.

The Conti 4k are definitely good tires. Fast and not that expensive.
To me however too harsh. I prefer to have the tires I like and save the money somewhere else...
Conti pro ltd competion tires use the same compound and puncture protection as the GP4000s. Don't get me wrong, Veloflex, vittoria g+ and turbo cottons are all amazing tires! What throws me off when somebody says that I should ride Durano Plus tires because I care about milage and value.

BTW don't you find your veloflex tires very tight? I found them very hard to mount.

TonyM

by TonyM

nemeseri wrote:
BTW don't you find your veloflex tires very tight? I found them very hard to mount.
It depends also on your wheels/ rims. For me all ok on my Bora 50 Ultra and LW Meilenstein. Vittoria are also ok. I have more problems with the Conti 4 seasons that I started to use this winter on my DT Swiss ERC 1100 dicut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com