What tyre do you recomend for race and training in good weather and road???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

a20dth

by a20dth

I want change my Mavic tyres for a new set.
My wheels is Cosmic SL C 17mm interior and 25 exterior

I'm looking:

- Conti GP4000 SII
- Vittoria Corsa g+
- Michelín Power Competition

All in 23 front 25 rear for aerodynamics and weight, only the Vittoria puts all 23 becouse these tyre weight more.

The tubs will be Conti Supersonic.

I weight 59kg and the road are un perfect conditions.

What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

a20dth wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 pm

- Conti GP4000 SII
You never go wrong with these.

Geoff

by Geoff

When I messed-around with clinchers on a long-term test, I got a fair number of sets with the Conti Attack/Force combo. Those were not bad at all (or clinchers).

a20dth

by a20dth

The GP4000SII is the most mount I'm think but It's a standar tyre for all.

I see in https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com test tyres and the new combo Attack&Force III wasn't test.

Probably is the same of GP4000SII 23/25 but with more weight.

The standar race here are 65 - 120km and 32 - 45avg speed with Hills (Example Coll the Rates - Spain)

Want a good grip in the corners when I attack.

There are people say that Michelín Power Competition haven't good grip in wet or cool asfalt.... Is It thrue?

A friend guive me one tyre 23 mm Michelín Power Competition and when I mount It the real size is 24,1 mm....

Tomorrow I'm going to test, and I extract conclusions.

dim

by dim

Specialized Turbo Cotton is my favourite clincher (by far)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm a GP4000SII fan - many many flat free miles. They rate highly in the rolling resistance tests, they are relatively cheap, and last a long time. I've tried more supple tires and didn't notice a huge difference so I switched back to GP4000s because with the more supple tires I got flats.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

for training i like the michelin pro 4 endurance. price is good. they ride nice and are fairly robust with regard to flat protection.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TonyM

by TonyM

Veloflex Corsa

c60rider

by c60rider

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 am
Veloflex Corsa
Not with carbon rims Veloflex make a point of writing it on the side of the box. And I'd agree from my experience of them. There's some on here that have got away with it but they are a super fragile tyre and not for any kind of daily use. Can't go wrong with GP4000s2 or perhaps the Vittoria Corsa G+ which I've found to be a better ride than the Contis though perhaps a little more fragile. They tend to get nicks in the tread easily but this is solved by putting some super glue in as soon as I spot them.

TonyM

by TonyM

c60rider wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 am
TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 am
Veloflex Corsa
Not with carbon rims Veloflex make a point of writing it on the side of the box. And I'd agree from my experience of them. There's some on here that have got away with it but they are a super fragile tyre and not for any kind of daily use. Can't go wrong with GP4000s2 or perhaps the Vittoria Corsa G+ which I've found to be a better ride than the Contis though perhaps a little more fragile. They tend to get nicks in the tread easily but this is solved by putting some super glue in as soon as I spot them.

I belong to those riders who use their Veloflex Corsa on carbon rims (Lightweight Meilenstein and Bora 50 Ultra) without any problems.
These, together with the Vittoria Open Corsa, are my daily tires. I ride 12,000 to 15,000 km per year. I have only one life and I want to enjoy each ride with nice tires :mrgreen: No point for saving $ there. Just my 2 cents...

If you don't intend to be careful with the Veloflex Corsa (and for example use tire levers etc...), then you may be better to use some Conti 4K indeed.

To me personally the Conti are too "harsh" but I am "old school" and I always rode with cotton tires (ok back in the days I also had some Conti in 18-19mm and 120 psi.. :mrgreen: ).

The only other tires I would consider using beside the Vittoria Open Corsa and the Veloflex Corsa are the Specialized Turbo Cotton. They usually have good reviews. I personally prefer the Italian Vittoria and Veloflex over the US Specialized but that's a personal choice.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@TonyM, are you referring to the Vittoria Corsa G+ and if so how do you rate them vs the Veloflex Corsa in dry traction? I like to push the limits when cornering/decending and so far have be satisfied with the Vittoria. Is the Veloflex as good? I am not concerned about the wet. Similar comfort I assume? I am attracted by the lighter weight.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

SWorks Turbo. By a huge margin my favorite tire. Roll, feel, and corner so well. Not fragile at all like some believe.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TonyM

by TonyM

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 am
@TonyM, are you referring to the Vittoria Corsa G+ and if so how do you rate them vs the Veloflex Corsa in dry traction? I like to push the limits when cornering/decending and so far have be satisfied with the Vittoria. Is the Veloflex as good? I am not concerned about the wet. Similar comfort I assume? I am attracted by the lighter weight.
Sorry I can't comment on the Corsa G+ as I am still using the Vittoria Open Corsa (non G+). I still have plenty of them stored (the "old school").
For cornering I would prefer the Open Corsa over the Veloflex as they have more material on the sidewall (the Vittoria are also heavier than the Veloflex). Especially if you corner very fast and/or weigh more than 150 lbs. In terms of comfort both are excellent. It really then depends on how many psi you put in these tires and how smooth the roads are where you bike. BTW I use them with latex tubes also (either Vittoria, Vredestein or Michelin depending in the tire size). Usually I run the Vittoria and Veloflex with 95 psi and use either 23mm front/ 25mm rear (Lightweight Meilenstein) or 25mm front & rear (Bora Ultra 50).

TonyM

by TonyM

wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 am
SWorks Turbo. By a huge margin my favorite tire. Roll, feel, and corner so well. Not fragile at all like some believe.
I actually always heard that the turbo are not fragile at all but the turbo cotton are (the word fragile has also to be taken with a grain of salt as it depends on some other factors like the use of tire levers, the type of cornering, the type of roads, of course the weight of the rider, etc....)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 am
I actually always heard that the turbo are not fragile at all but the turbo cotton are (the word fragile has also to be taken with a grain of salt as it depends on some other factors like the use of tire levers, the type of cornering, the type of roads, of course the weight of the rider, etc....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynD0Rwc3Ius
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand