How many grams saved from 52/36 Sram Red to 52/36 Stronglite Chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

Anyone have any idea? I have a quarq dzero power meter crankset with sram chainrings and looking to shave some grams. What savings would I be looking at?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Hmm I guess that'll be around ~30g then

KCookie

by KCookie

Could you not use Extralite, my 52/36 rings weighed 71g - 27g. Bigger saving to be had there.

Wookski

by Wookski

KCookie wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:52 pm
Could you not use Extralite, my 52/36 rings weighed 71g - 27g. Bigger saving to be had there.
Agree- if you’re willing to move to stronglite (which are pretty crappy) you may as well go full retard with Extralite!

gurk700

by gurk700

KCookie wrote:
Couldn’t find 52/36 anywhere including their own web shop. Out of stock.

gurk700

by gurk700

Wookski wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 pm
KCookie wrote:
Agree- if you’re willing to move to stronglite (which are pretty crappy) you may as well go full retard with Extralite!
didn’t know stronglight was crappy. read some positive reviews. the. again pracis has reviews on both sides too so who knows...

my sram rings are showing a lot of wear and i thought i might as well save some weight but guess it’s best to stick with it!

stormur

by stormur

Stronglight Ct2 are one of most underappreciated rings on the market. Same as Miche Super11.

Praxis never was and is even close to low wear and shifting quality of Stronglight. Extralight do not ofer anything except low weight - for me it would be acceptable if I won't ride a bike, and have it just for show. Form has to follow function, here it's form for sake of itself.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

gurk700

by gurk700

stormur wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 am
Stronglight Ct2 are one of most underappreciated rings on the market. Same as Miche Super11.

Praxis never was and is even close to low wear and shifting quality of Stronglight. Extralight do not ofer anything except low weight - for me it would be acceptable if I won't ride a bike, and have it just for show. Form has to follow function, here it's form for sake of itself.
That’s good to hear. Yeah I wouldn’t wanna sacrifice functionality on such a crucial part.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

...yeah, again, you may want to be careful of the opinions of stormur.

In regards to Extralite's Octaramp chaingrings, there is a thread devoted to them if you're interested in reviews. Keep in mind the thread is quite old and the chainrings have been updated since the thread started, so pay attention to the latter comments for the most recent chainrings in question.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

KCookie wrote:
Really, 71g? I’ve never seen them that light. That’s 30g lighter than my set!

themidge

by themidge

71 grams for the big ring only I think, small ring 22g

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

"Crappy", "full retard", "form only"

a) Have these people used Extralite rings?
b) If so, was their front derailleur set up correctly?

Guaranteed either a, b or both isn't true. I found them almost perfect. Don't shift up to the big ring under heavy load. Let's face it, that's a rider issue not a ring issue anyway. I can't imagine any other situation where these would be a problem. I think they're great.

stormur

by stormur

prendrefeu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 am
...yeah, again, you may want to be careful of the opinions of stormur.

In regards to Extralite's Octaramp chaingrings, there is a thread devoted to them if you're interested in reviews. Keep in mind the thread is quite old and the chainrings have been updated since the thread started, so pay attention to the latter comments for the most recent chainrings in question.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
I don't have opinion - that's domain of those without knowledge, "followers" and sponsored ones ( paid for publsihing certain content ).

What I write base on experience. About personal experience with this or that we can discuss, if you don't have any - and your opinion base on "threads" in forums... just stop trolling. Or buy what you're talking about, test for a while and come back- then your "opinion" will be valuable, otherwise is worthless. Simply waisting keyboard and data transfer.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

I've used both Stronglight and Praxis rings on my race bikes and have to say that I, personally, found the Praxis rings to be superior in all aspects.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen