How many grams saved from 52/36 Sram Red to 52/36 Stronglite Chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Stronglight makes good stuff, Praxis is better but not much lighter. Extralite sucks ass. BOR/Tune rings also shift very well.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

stormur wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 am
Or buy what you're talking about, test for a while and come back- then your "opinion" will be valuable, otherwise is worthless. Simply waisting keyboard and data transfer.
Fine: I've been riding Extralite Octaramp for more than 3,000km without issue and the shifting has been close to Praxis (ie, great, no issues).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

I think if we step back and look at all the opposing responses so far, we can assume:

All rings mentioned in the thread work nicely in some frame / groupset / etc combo and not others. Blanket statements about any given brand doesn't hold much water as they work fine in other people's setups.

Also I'm guessing a portion of people aren't great mechanics so shifting might be due to bad setup. It's easy to put blame on the manufacturer. Not everybody is in this group but I'm certain some are.

My initial pick of Extralite 52/36 aren't in stock anywhere as far as I can tell. I don't even know if Extralite makes this combo anymore. So that's not an option. Even if I found a set I would hesitate to buy now cause if that set wears out, I'm gonna have to change brands again.

I appreciate the other brand recommendations. I'll look into them as well before making a decision between stock srams and another brand. Thanks!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

If you want them, buy direct from Extralite. When they (eventually) wear out, just get some more. I'm experimenting with Fibre Lyte, and unless I go single ring eventually I'll go back to my Octaramp 52/36 no questions asked.

To try and keep the thread constructive why don't those who expetienced issues explain what the problems they faced were? Not wishing to patronise at all, but perhaps someone can offer some help or advice, or maybe they're just not for you? The forum is here to discuss!

gurk700

by gurk700

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm
If you want them, buy direct from Extralite. When they (eventually) wear out, just get some more. I'm experimenting with Fibre Lyte, and unless I go single ring eventually I'll go back to my Octaramp 52/36 no questions asked.

To try and keep the thread constructive why don't those who expetienced issues explain what the problems they faced were? Not wishing to patronise at all, but perhaps someone can offer some help or advice, or maybe they're just not for you? The forum is here to discuss!

^ As I mentioned.

:noidea:

Wookski

by Wookski

I have found Extralite in stock with several retailers after a quick search. Either go stock Red or weightweenie Extralite. There’s no point in playing with the crap in between.

gurk700

by gurk700

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm
I have found Extralite in stock with several retailers after a quick search. Either go stock Red or weightweenie Extralite. There’s no point in playing with the crap in between.
Care to share links? I have searched it before and didn't have any luck with 52/36.

gurk700

by gurk700

Says unavailable 7-10 days. Since they order from Extralite (I assume) and Extralite doesn't have it in stock I assume that's more time if at all.

But I'll email and ask to make sure. Thank you!