colors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shalant

by shalant

hi all. i know there are rules. about to buy a new bike. i am tempted by matte red. is this played out? i'm no racer and i like to ride solo and groups. should i get something understated? my old boy is a black bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Rules are stupid! :smartass: only followed by slaves..... :mrgreen:

Take the one YOU like!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Your new bike should be your dream bike man! Not "understated". Get the color you like and be proud of it!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

MJB

by MJB

TonyM wrote:Take the one YOU like!
+1

if you're fortunate enough to be buying new then make it truly your own as much as possible.

That said, I loathed cleaning the (first and last) matt finish frame I owned. I must be doing it wrong as I was never satisfied with the finish I ended up with after X hours of elbow grease compared to a nice high gloss paint finish.........

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Your money, your bike, there are only your rules! forget the rest. Enjoy. :D

coriordan

by coriordan

Red bikes are scientifically proven to be faster so sets you up perfectly if you do ever take up racing.

ak47

by ak47

I've had a bike that had a partial matte red finish. I won't buy a bike wwith such a finish ever again. Total nightmare to clean.

KCookie

by KCookie

+1, i have a Matt black bike it doesnt matter what cleaning products i use it just never seems to look clean.
Can't wait to get a gloss frame.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

KCookie wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:10 pm
+1, i have a Matt black bike it doesnt matter what cleaning products i use it just never seems to look clean.
Can't wait to get a gloss frame.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Odd.... I have a matte black bike and it's easy to clean. I have 18,000 miles on it and, other than scratches, it looks brand new. i clean it every weekend and use Simple Green mixed 1:10 with water.

This is after a 50 mile ride and over 100 miles since last cleaned.

Shrike

by Shrike

Red isn't the issue, it's the matte finish like the guys above are saying. My bike has a black matte finish and hasn't looked new since it left the bike shop. Worse again as the logo on the frame is matte white.

Some guys say they know a product you can use on matte paintwork. Might dig back and find what they're using and see if it's available in the UK.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Shrike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 pm
My bike has a black matte finish and hasn't looked new since it left the bike shop.
I just get it, I have 18,000 miles on mine. I just went into the garage and took these pictures. The bike was thoroughly cleaned before being hung in the garage for the winter.

moonoi

by moonoi

Trek calls their matte like finish a satin, it is really a lot easier to clean than a matte finish from Specialized or Canyon for example. Probably why you haven't had a problem and others have, I've experienced both, so can say it is a problem on some bikes and not on others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

moonoi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:56 am
Trek calls their matte like finish a satin, it is really a lot easier to clean than a matte finish from Specialized or Canyon for example. Probably why you haven't had a problem and others have, I've experienced both, so can say it is a problem on some bikes and not on others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Matte is matte. Satin is satin.
Not sure if Trek has a matte or a satin finish therefore.

BMC has a satin finish on their 2018 Teammachine and 2018 Roadmachine for example.
The look of satin is between matte and gloss.
Attachments
1.jpg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know that I’d really make a distinction between matte and satin. The key to how easy it will be to maintain is whether it has a matte clearcoat over top or not. My C59 does, have had it since 2011 and it’s always been very easy to clean and looks new, save for one repaired chainstay. I’ve seen some other frames (high end) that have what appears to be the same matte clearcoat. But by and large most matte frames I’ve seen do not. And without that clearcoat, matte frames are a pain in the ass to keep clean, regardless of color. The dirt and grease of course shows up more on the lighter colors. Looks great in the showroom...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Chemical Guys Matte Detailer.. A+++ rating from me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com