colors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 am
I don’t know that I’d really make a distinction between matte and satin. The key to how easy it will be to maintain is whether it has a matte clearcoat over top or not. My C59 does, have had it since 2011 and it’s always been very easy to clean and looks new, save for one repaired chainstay. I’ve seen some other frames (high end) that have what appears to be the same matte clearcoat. But by and large most matte frames I’ve seen do not. And without that clearcoat, matte frames are a pain in the ass to keep clean, regardless of color. The dirt and grease of course shows up more on the lighter colors. Looks great in the showroom...
Yes matte and satin are different.

Out of the web: "Definition of 'Satin Finish' A type of finish. A surface or colour with a satin finish falls between the dull, non-shiny finish of matt materials and the bright and shiny finish of gloss materials".

On the BMC Teammachine and the Roadmachine you can see that it is a satin finish. Not really matte, not gloss, something between the two. On the Teammachine a part of the fork is gloss.

The advantage of the satin is that it is not as painful as the matte colour for washing/ detailing etc....and I suppose it makes the bike a little more unique (as long as the other bikes are gloss or matte).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 am
Chemical Guys Matte Detailer.. A+++ rating from me.
Good to know :thumbup:
So far I used Dr. Wack Matt spray F100 but I can't get it here in Canada.

Have you also used after the detailer the CG "JetSeal Matte Sealant and Paint Protectant" or instead of the two the CG "Meticulous Matte Detailer & Spray Sealant"?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re satin and matte... basically same diff as far as cleaning goes. The Chemical Guys promote their products for both matte and satin finishes. I haven’t noticed any difference between how a matte finish washes up versus a satin finish. But big difference with a matte, or satin, clearcoat.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 am
Re satin and matte... basically same diff as far as cleaning goes. The Chemical Guys promote their products for both matte and satin finishes. I haven’t noticed any difference between how a matte finish washes up versus a satin finish. But big difference with a matte, or satin, clearcoat.
Yepp matte and satin deserve the same procedure indeed. Satin is supposed to be little bit less sensitive - but that's all relative.....

My experience with CG on cars is that they have very good products that work very well. To me the best are still Swisswax but for a bike that would be "too much"...
Last edited by TonyM on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing is “too much” for your bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 am
Nothing is “too much” for your bike.
That's the right answer for the poseur thread! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s the right answer... hey, isn’t there a “big” period button on the keyboard somewhere?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

if you don't like the matte finish, and want it glossy, just get yourself some Swirl Remover and a micro-fiber cloth. dab some of the SR into the cloth and start rubbing down the frame with vigorous elbow grease.
it will shine right up

TonyM

by TonyM

Catagory6 wrote:if you don't like the matte finish, and want it glossy, just get yourself some Swirl Remover and a micro-fiber cloth. dab some of the SR into the cloth and start rubbing down the frame with vigorous elbow grease.
it will shine right up

I love the satin finish!
But I do love the gloss finish also.
Different bikes with different colours and different finish.

themidge

by themidge

I'd say the best colour for bikes is blue, although red is faster :noidea:
Get whatever colour you want, but black is boring :P

Delorre

by Delorre

Shrike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 pm
Red isn't the issue, it's the matte finish like the guys above are saying. My bike has a black matte finish and hasn't looked new since it left the bike shop. Worse again as the logo on the frame is matte white.

Some guys say they know a product you can use on matte paintwork. Might dig back and find what they're using and see if it's available in the UK.
My experience with matte bikes is somewhat different. My first canyon was matte. It was super easy to clean and keep clean, but the quality of the paint was sub par, so the matte turned into satin / gloss very fast in some areas due to bibshort rub and so on. I polished the whole bike to gloss and it was even more easy to clean. My secound Canyon has a way better finish, and is super easy to keep clean too. My Addict, idem. You don't have to worry too much for light scratches and swirls as you do with high gloss. I have to admit, I don't have experience with bright matte colors, the addict only has 2 matte yellow logos on it, the canyon is almost black and a little grey...