Anyone fitted Specialized Hover bar to their hood road bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BiaNeutron

by BiaNeutron

The obvious reason for fitting these bars would be to keep a reasonably low stem but keep the hood height where its comfortable. If anyone has fitted these to a good spec. road bike, wondering on your opinions on how did they look? They are a bit unusual. Is the riser look an outrage?

Mtek

by Mtek

I have the Sworks hover on my BMC. I actually like the way it looks, but cabling isn’t as clean with them. Bike is on my Wahoo, I’ll take a pic or two if you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Riser road bars look terrible to me.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

What is the advantage of this over a stem that angles to put a normal bar in the same place? I just had a rider on my tour with one of these on his Roubaix and we both agreed it looks weird, weirder than a positive rise stem.

BiaNeutron

by BiaNeutron

Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree with all of the points of view. At the moment I'm running with 15mm of spacers and a flipped stem. It's not the best look out there but this is where my bike fitter says I need the bars now. I don't think this warrants looking for a new frame so I'm interested in maybe trying the Hover bar and flipping the stem back round to 'normal'. Just not sure if this would be considered a better look. This is on a Bianchi Sempre Pro by the way. It's not an aero frame and the tubes are fairly chunky so I thought the Hover might look OK.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am
What is the advantage of this over a stem that angles to put a normal bar in the same place? I just had a rider on my tour with one of these on his Roubaix and we both agreed it looks weird, weirder than a positive rise stem.
The advantage of this is that it takes the upward stem angle out of the wind. The hover bar puts the bar where the rider needs it, but keeps the steam angle parallel to the ground and has less frontal area that sees the wind.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I think the Specialized Hover round bars with 15 mm rise look fine. The Aerofly however not so much as the shape combined with a whole 25 mm rise is just too much.

DJT21

by DJT21

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am
The advantage of this is that it takes the upward stem angle out of the wind. The hover bar puts the bar where the rider needs it, but keeps the steam angle parallel to the ground and has less frontal area that sees the wind.
loolwhut?

They look awful, but what else would you expect from Specialized....

They kinda mark you out as a novice aswell. Better to just spend some time working on your fit so you can run your stem lower.

TLN

by TLN

I was looking at aerofly with 25mm rise because specialized have bigger inner holes: Sram Red Hydro cables exit the shifter in same direction and it's tight fit in normal aerobar. For some reason S made aerofly with rise differently.
Another reason may be: in case you have short steerer tube and don't want to use ugly stem (flipped -12 deg for example). But I'm not sure what looks worse: flipped -12 deg stem or hover bars.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

jih

by jih

Just keep the flipped stem. It won't catch the wind even 0,5% as much as your relatively upright body. Worrying about the aerodynamics of stems starts once you're already in an aero bike position.

And who cares if some guys on the internet think a flipped stem and/or this or that bar looks weird? The best part about being an adult is you don't have to care what other people think about stuff that doesn't matter.

dvq

by dvq

I went with the zero rise on my venge vias, the 25mm rise ones just look horrible.

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm running Hover (round) bars with 15 mm rise on two Canyons.

Alloy (specialized) Hover bars on an Ultimate AL SLX
Carbon (s-works) Hove bars on a Ultimate CF SLX

It's personal taste but I actually really, really like the look of them. Kind of like the doors on a delorian or a bird in flight ;-)

I used to have a problem with my knees hitting the bars when I was out of the saddle. These have entirely eliminated that problem without requiring me to stick more spacers under the stem. Stem is now exactly half way up the steerer, with equal spacers either side and IMO it just looks great.

The carbon bars are about 70g lighter than the alloy ones... (I have the exact weights of each at home)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

#antihoverImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

iamraymond

by iamraymond

robertbb wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 am
I'm running Hover (round) bars with 15 mm rise on two Canyons.

Alloy (specialized) Hover bars on an Ultimate AL SLX
Carbon (s-works) Hove bars on a Ultimate CF SLX

It's personal taste but I actually really, really like the look of them. Kind of like the doors on a delorian or a bird in flight ;-)

I used to have a problem with my knees hitting the bars when I was out of the saddle. These have entirely eliminated that problem without requiring me to stick more spacers under the stem. Stem is now exactly half way up the steerer, with equal spacers either side and IMO it just looks great.

The carbon bars are about 70g lighter than the alloy ones... (I have the exact weights of each at home)
@robertbb: I am considering these bars. Do you have the exact weights of the carbon and alloy versions? I'm thinking of trying out the alloy ones instead of splashing the cash on the carbon versions and ending up not liking them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm

The advantage of this is that it takes the upward stem angle out of the wind.
And adds an extra few inches of of bar to get the rise, which is facing the wind at 90 degrees