Question for Shimano RC-7 users

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Tempted to buy a pair of these shoes but wanted to ask about the durability of the upper material. I've heard that the finish scuffs easily (not a major concern for me) but just wanted to check that it's only the finish which scuffs easily and not the material itself.

Also when I was trying them on I got the feeling that they were a different last to Shimano's RC9 and R321. Does anyone know how the last differs? Anybody with a foot on the narrow side of the spectrum using them?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

RC7 finishing can be easily scratched. I got a wide 44 and toe overlapping eats into the upper easily... normal usage should be fine. Outsole is “soft” comparing to the absolute stiff sole like Bont.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

naylor343

by naylor343

Used mine yesterday for the first time on the road, and they are scuffed! Before I was using R215 and R300 both in 43 and had to go half size up to 43.5. The last is slightly different, but they fit me well.

Everything about the shoe is superb, except the printed finish on the exterior, which quite frankly is pretty unacceptable for any shoe that is going to see the outdoors! An angel floating on a cloud would struggle to keep them from scuffing! What makes it worse is that the black and white (or red and black) scuff into each other and make the mark look 10 times worse than it is. It appears that the slightest contact that I would never think twice about, or even check for damage, is going to scuff these shoes.

My solution is going to come in the shape of an old Michelin pro3 I have downstairs. I have cut out 2 toe bumpers from the tread. I have not yet glued them on, but when held against the toe look pretty good. They do not look at all DIY. I got the idea from the older bont vaypors. Bont sell the spare toe bumpers and recommend fixing them with loctite 401so that it what I will use. If the remainder of the shoe goes the same way, I thinking will do a custom paint job on them.

I was in a shop in Andorra that had an enormous range of shoes to try. It was a toss up between the RC7 and pearl izumi
Elite road IV. If I had the choice again I would go for the pearl izumi's, the only reason I did not buy them initially was I preferred the boa fitting on the side rather than the top of the fore foot.

If you do go ahead and get them, I used athleteshop, they were the cheapest I could find online and the only shop in Europe that offered half sizes.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks for the replies - so it is just the finish then which scuffs?
naylor343 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 pm
My solution is going to come in the shape of an old Michelin pro3 I have downstairs. I have cut out 2 toe bumpers from the tread.
I was going to do something similar but with frame protection tape, or spare bont bumpers if they fit.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

Exceptional shoes great in every way. Fit, comfort, stiffness, adjustability.

They just get scuffed.

There’s a few pair on geartrade.com

dbnm

by dbnm

I really loved my RC7 shoes.
Attachments
IMG_3930.jpg

naylor343

by naylor343

Bit of a follow up on the RC7's. The shoes are perfect for me in every way except the scuffing issue. So i went ahead and made some toe bumpers using an old Michelin pro4 and bonded it on with flexible super glue. I lightly sanded the area where the bumpers would fit and it worked out perfectly. Only potential problem could be not getting the bumper in place first time when the glue is on, this could be very messy. I drew a line on the shoe with a fine market and got it in place correctly first time.
Attachments
photo 3-3.JPG
photo 2-1.JPG
photo 5-5.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com