Buying Shimano parts from Ebay sellers in Japan?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I usually don't buy expensive parts from Asia, but due to shortage on new Ultegra stuff, am wondering if Japan is a safe place to buy Shimano stuff from or if there is some risk of getting B-grade parts, etc? I'm 99% sure there would be no warranty from Shimano though.
2016 Diverge Expert

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have bought Shimano parts on eBay from sellers located in Japan and Taiwan. No issues to report. My latest purchase was an Ultegra 8050 GS RD from a seller in Taiwan. I wanted it sooner and no vendors in the U.S. has it. When the Shimano quick link for chains first came out I bought some from a seller in Japan. Asia's supply chain for bike parts is most extensive since most bikes are made/built in Asia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

I am waiting on the Ultegra ST-R8020 disc brake shifter/brake combo (to finish my Emonda SLR build) and the US is having trouble getting supply. I was looking at eBay for these and a few are there. Excel Sports told me the Shimano rep said they were having a problem with the shifters and thus the delay. This worries me a bit. Maybe I should wait.

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

I've bought a few things on eBay from hobby something. Was great experience though I had to wait a few weeks. Shipping was slow but can recommend it.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Mackers

by Mackers

Hobby Japan are an excellent and reasonably priced source for Dura Ace hubs down to 18H.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

thebubbatex wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:13 pm
I am waiting on the Ultegra ST-R8020 disc brake shifter/brake combo (to finish my Emonda SLR build) and the US is having trouble getting supply...
Some of the Euro shops like Bike24 & R2 have them in stock, with R2 being about 20 Euro cheaper

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com