Di2 6870 vs. 8000 series

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I would like to upgrade to Di2. Between first and second gen Ultegra Di2, are there any parts that one should absolutely get the new ones? Has there been a big jump in performance of the shifter or front mech or rear mech or hydraulic brakes? I read that the button action has a much more positive feeling on the new shifters and they appear quite a bit smaller, but this is also the one where the price difference is biggest.
Last edited by vinuneuro on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

although mechanical derailleur's difference are big, on the Di2 side is not so much.

Biggest difference is actually in the new Bar End Junction box (neater looking),
new Battery (that support newest Dfly) and new Dfly unit (EW-WU111). Get those version instead of the old ones.

FD lose weight and having a new cable entrance location.
RD Radically change appearance, having more chain tension, better crash durability but perform shifting pretty much the same.
Shifters, The old 6870 have two buttons per side. New 8070 gain third button on top of the shifter. Just like what 9070, 9150 and 9170 already had.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:40 pm
although mechanical derailleur's difference are big, on the Di2 side is not so much.

Biggest difference is actually in the new Bar End Junction box (neater looking),
new Battery (that support newest Dfly) and new Dfly unit (EW-WU111). Get those version instead of the old ones.

FD lose weight and having a new cable entrance location.
RD Radically change appearance, having more chain tension, better crash durability but perform shifting pretty much the same.
Shifters, The old 6870 have two buttons per side. New 8070 gain third button on top of the shifter. Just like what 9070, 9150 and 9170 already had.
Thank you. Is it a substantial increase in chain tension from the new RD? I ride this bike on road and gravel, so this aspect is very attractive if it's a big difference.
2016 Diverge Expert

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The newer generation DI2 shifter levers, be they 8050 or 9150, are worth upgrading to. The improved tactile feedback from the shifting buttons is very noticeable and very welcome. After using my 9150 levers for about nine months now, whenever I try the one pair of 9070 levers I have on a spare bike, the shift buttons feel like mush with little feedback by comparison. They were fine until I was introduced to something better - imagine that!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

In addition to what Hexsense said, new 8000 series RD had "shadow" trickle down from DA. The long cage RD will work with a max 34T rear cog. 6800 maxed out at 32T. Similarly, the short cage is 30T max on the 8k, 28T on the 6800. Not sure how much of a difference that makes on shifting performance, honestly 6800 is so smooth that I don't know that I'd be able to tell.

Buttons have never been an issue for me, even with thick gloves, but I could see having the third button on top being nice for computer control. The Battery and wireless units aren't Hex mentioned aren't actually new with the 8k, but you definitely want the DN110 for the battery if you go with the internal battery or the DN100 mount for external to work with wireless/e-tube project. Wireless unit, you can also use the WU101. It's not in-line, I got it for that reason as I didn't want it external. I have hidden mine in both a CF and aluminum frames and it works just fine.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

wingguy

by wingguy

Small point, 6870 was already 2nd gen and R8050/8070 is 3rd gen :wink:

The rear derailleur has more chain wrap and also supports slightly bigger cassettes (short cage up to 30t, long cage 34t). Shifting is just as good in performance but has more definite audible feedback each time. A crisp 'clunk' as it drops into each gear, more like Campagnolo!

Also if you're on hydro brakes the lever feel is waaay better on new R8070 shifters than the R785s, and they have a nicer size and form factor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kofsw4

by kofsw4

wingguy wrote:
Also if you're on hydro brakes the lever feel is waaay better on new R8070 shifters than the R785s, and they have a nicer size and form factor.
Plus R8070 levers are 150g lighter than R785 :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk