Vittoria Corsa Control G+ Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookski

by Wookski

The long awaited replacement to Vittoria’s legendary Pavé- review will come soon...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

...looking forward to hearing more as my stash of Paves is down to three tires. Could u please share actual weight? thanks em3

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Looking forward to the review too.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

elfuinha

by elfuinha

hello can you tell me if there is any diference (High and width) in size VS normal Corsa G+ in 25mm

want to put this on a LW Milenstein and a THM Scapula F fork (limit 25mm tyres)

Wookski

by Wookski

304g vs Vittoria’s claimed weight of 295g

Wookski

by Wookski

Rider height, weight: 176cm, 65kg
Pressure: 6 Bar rear & 5.5 Bar front

Initial thoughts- seem slightly larger volume than 25mm advertised. Very comfortable however "feel" bigger and slower when compared with a veloflex arenberg 25. Extremely grippy. Aesthetically very similar to Corsa and Corsa speed. Tread extends further up the sidewalls presumably to provide more grip and protection. I will experiment with higher pressure- 6.5 rear and 6 front and compare comfort vs. agility.

dim

by dim

I'm using the Pave (clinchers) on my daily commuter .... they have been brilliant, however, I am now starting to get punctures after 2400 km so time to replace them ... I knew that they would need replacing after approx 2500 km as they are 320 tpi casings, and I commute on crappy roads
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TonyM

by TonyM

I am also using the Vittoria Open Pavé since the 80s and I like them.
Unfortunately sometimes they get very fast a puncture.
So this winter I tried the Conti 4 Seasons. They are quite good. Excellent against puncture as I can see when I check them; They have some cuts etc... but no puncture where the Pavé would have had a puncture. But they are heavier, less comfortable and slower.
I hope the Corsa Control will be like the Pavé or maybe even better.
Fortunately I bought last year quite a lot of the Pavé as it was clear that they will be discontinued.

Wookski

by Wookski

600k’s on these tyres and 6.5 rear/ 6 front feels much faster. The weight is still noticeable however grip is very good. No noticeable wear or anything else to report.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

@TonyM, same experience here with the open clinchers, but the tubulars are a different animal for both brands.

The weight of the Controls is disappointing. Can't see moving from Veloflex Roubaix tires with the weight savings and tread profile. My experience with the Vittoria Corsa Graphene tubs is that they break loose even faster than the Conti tubulars. Not comforting. I really appreciated the old Pave tubs, but this new Vittoria compound is not working for me - heavier, more expensive and less grip. The tread profile on the Control model applies the arrowhead profile to a small section at a pretty steep lean angle, so... I'll wait for the marketeers to convince me.

I understand that the Graphenes are tested as having lower rolling resistance than the traditional Veloflex models, but how much time and energy is lost when having to break more / ride more upright through corners and then accelerate with the Graphenes? Perhaps I am the only one having issues with Graphene tires, but I find the wheels with the Vitts mounted are catching dust.
Last edited by Stolichnaya on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wookski

by Wookski

elfuinha wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pm
hello can you tell me if there is any diference (High and width) in size VS normal Corsa G+ in 25mm

want to put this on a LW Milenstein and a THM Scapula F fork (limit 25mm tyres)
Sorry I haven’t had the chance to measure yet but I would definitely stick with a 23 for meilensteins- something like a veloflex Carbon or Criterium are a much better proposition.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

i've Veloflex Arenberg on the rear and they work and look great, the 23mm carbon is on the rear.

Also had Paris-roubaix FMB silk but the front start rubb the fork, also the tubulars don't last, had 3 pairs (silk, cotton) they all start unglueing, or blowup. they are the best, but i hadn't much luck with them. also very expensive.

want to go full 25mm, the control G+

please meassure them to see if they fit.

thanks

Wookski

by Wookski

Ok so 1,800 km clocked on these tyres and they are going very strong. No signs of cuts even though I have ridden on some very crappy roads and in the wet. Not as supple as regular corsa and not as light as veloflex- definitely not as fast feeling. Grip has been outstanding. The most impressive thing is the relative comfort vs durability- could they be the perfect training Tubular?

Geoff

by Geoff

Those look great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I'd like to give Vittoria tires another try.. I didn't have good "Ride Feel" from the pair that I ran.
Granted I was running the 28mm width tires. I just felt they weren't plush and very stiff sidewalls, making the ride feel horrible. Myabe the 25mm width tires will be different?
I went back to Veloflex (Roubaix and Vlaanderens) tires and started smiling instantly.

My gripe with the Vittoris tires is that they have good punture protection, but ride stiff which defeats the purpose of Tubular "Feel".
Vittoria tires are extremley slippery too. I went down in a turn that I've gone around at least 1000 times. Front tire just washed out... Mind you this was in the dry..

FMB tires last a month when I ride them. The tread wears extremely fast... Those are tires meant for pros, for one day races.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite