Wheel Upgrade for Canyon Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Will be buying a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2. I want a light, stiff and racy bike that can comfortably accommodate large 28c tires like the Continentals.

I also want the rig to be light, as this will be the bike on which I will be riding the Haute Route Alps next year.

This particular bike isn't that light, thanks in part to its lackluster Mavic Cosmic Carbon C disc wheelset, weighing in at a hefty 1770g.

I'm looking for a good all-around disc wheelset, which I need to be: bulletproof reliability, light, aero and reasonably stiff. I'm no Clydesdale, but am 180 lbs, can sprint at 1500w plus and put out pretty good torque through the bike on steep pitches. I need a wheelset that can withstand that and keep on going.

For reference, I have had no problems so far with Shimano Dura-Ace C24 or Enve SES 4.5 on my current bikes. Never had to true a wheel despite horrible pavement here.

I would like similar performance in the new bike. I was considering ENVE ses 3.4 disc, or Shimano C40 disc wheels. The enves come in a hair above 1400g and the Shimanos about 100 g more. Either will be substantially lighter than the Mavics.

Are there any concerns regarding these given the info stated above and my requirements? One user here characterized the 3.4s as being "very soft". Is that really so?

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I don’t believe you’d have an issue with the DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut. Nice and wide and strong. The ARC’s are good too but I believe are aimed at 25c tyres whereas the ERC’s are 28c. If my bike had disc brakes, they’d be on my lust list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Thanks for the suggestion. If they came on the bike (and even if the bike was $5-700 more expensive as a result), I wouldn't mind and would not look to swap them.

But are they better than the more easily available Enves or Shimanos I am considering?

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Have you considered the Aeolus 5 D3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Sammutd88 wrote:I don’t believe you’d have an issue with the DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut. Nice and wide and strong. The ARC’s are good too but I believe are aimed at 25c tyres whereas the ERC’s are 28c. If my bike had disc brakes, they’d be on my lust list.
I really can recommend the DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut DB! They are fast and stable in crosswinds. I absolutely love them!! They have developed for 28mm tires. Tubeless ready.

Ceramic bearings, DT Swiss hub, DT Swiss spokes, DT Swiss rim and DT Swiss assembly. You can’t beat that combo!

hannawald

by hannawald

you can't make a mistake with Enve wheels. Maybe German and Swiss combo matches a bit more from "style" point of view but no issue with Enves:) it depends on how you mean it with the mountains.. if it should really be a climbing bike than you can go even lighter - maybe tubulars like Campagnolo Bora One, if tubeless clinchers then MCFK 35 can be light around 1300g..
if you want to build a universal bike not spoiling your hilly ride experience then maybe Enve AR 4.5 discs maybe better as they are built for 28mm tyres which you want.. all others are built around 25mm tyres. Continentals can be 31mm real width and it may be spoiling your aero advantage on narrower rim.. this AR wheelset is an aero solution from Enve to these modern wide (28mm) trends..

Bordcla

by Bordcla

The ENVE 4.5 ARs would have been my #1 choice. However, the inability to use clincher tires and being limited to tubeless clinchers only is a major downer. Admittedly, tires such as the Schwalbe Pro One are very good (apparently), but they are more expensive and harder to find than the ubiquitous GP4000s IIs, which have it all: fast rolling, puncture resistant, grippy in dry and wet (best wet weather tire that I know...) and are super easy to get at a reasonable price from the online vendors... Ability to use that tire is therefore a big attraction for me.

I think that given price, and my positive experiences with Shimano wheels point to the C40s as being the leading choice for now.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Also considering the Roval CLX50 Disc, but wondering where these can be purchased? I could get them through a boutique around here, but they would cost above $3K Canadian. Which online retailers sell them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com