Colnago EPS or C59?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Eps is a great bike. Round tubes look nicer than the c59 shaped tubes. The eps is just such a great performer even better than my extreme power. It feels more lively

MattN

by MattN

Think I'm going to go with the EPS, being checked over today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattN

by MattN

GonaSovereign wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 am
I've said this elsewhere, but the EPS is the Goldilocks bike from Colnago. It's a full-on rocket ship race bike, but strangely has more tire clearance than the others C-series bikes or the EP. I ride 28s no problem, and have put 32 clincher file treads on to test (it fits; just).

In a moment of weakness, I offered this up for sale and asked almost nothing for it. Thankfully no one grabbed it before I came to my senses.
ImageUntitled

The EPS has round tubes vs shaped on the C59, but as the former owner of a Master, I know the tube profile has little to do with the ride.

Short story: they're both really nice. The tire clearance kept me from picking up a C59. I suppose they'll address that with the c64 next week....
Yeh the tyre clearance issue is frustrating, my CLX is similar, can only get 23mm clinchers in (Corsa SC on Archetype) or 25mm tubs on my 303s.

MattN

by MattN

The check over and further pictures of the EPS didn't materialise, so...

C59 in NERO, I'm normally of the opinion that a Colnago should carry an eye catching paint job, but a 54s NERO has come up for sale and it's quite tempting.

I've looked through some image and they look pretty decent if a little subtle.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That Nero can be set up very nicely done right. The right wheels can make all the difference.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattN

by MattN

I've got 303 tubulars and DT240 with Archetypes at my disposal.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I think the eps has bigger tubes and is stiffer. for me that's not something I want
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm
I think the eps has bigger tubes and is stiffer. for me that's not something I want
Bigger tubes than what? The tubes are a round cross section with three internal ribs. My EPQ is an EPS top tube/downtube with C59 lugs and stays. The fork is the same on the EPS/EPQ and C59. Really... with every iteration of the C-series... I have never felt... "holy crap, this is so much stiffer I can't even ride the thing". There are a lot of lighter bikes that are "stiffer", but they feel brittle in comparison. Almost as if they'd snap in a bad situation, whereas something with a little more material might have a bit more "give" to it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

MattN wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 am

Yeh the tyre clearance issue is frustrating, my CLX is similar, can only get 23mm clinchers in (Corsa SC on Archetype) or 25mm tubs on my 303s.
I currently have Schwalbe 28mm tubulars on my EPS. No problemo. Here's a pic taken 30 seconds ago.
ImageSchwalbe 28 on the eps

Vittoria 27 clinchers on Zipp 101s fit fine as well.

Also, @fromtrektocolnago, the EPS and C59 have the same diameter tubes on the main triangle, albeit different shapes.