Adam Hansen's 2018 Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyc

by guyc

The mind boggles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Antoine wrote:I'm not saying he has a bad bike fit , I question if it's really efficient when riding in a break for hours with some cilmbing.
Like this?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/bradl ... even-30588

Antoine

by Antoine

not exactly the same race situation especially with the rain , but whatever , I'm more impressed by his shoes than his bike fit
maybe he had a bad day in the TDF or the riders from continental teams who were better than him this day are better than supposed to and deserve their wildcard.

ms6073

by ms6073

Antoine wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm
don't you expect a proteam rider like Hansen to be better than one from a continental team like Hardy in a particular day during the most important race of their season?
On average yes, but lets think about the pecking order of a grand tour and how it impacts the racers of a world tour team versus the wild card teams. Hansen's team are expected to be pace makers, so he and his teammates are going to be spending considerably more time at the pointy end of the race, while a wild-card continental pro team is just happy to be there and rarely have much to do with driving the pace or chasing down the breakaways.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

guyc

by guyc

Antoine wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm
don't you expect a proteam rider like Hansen to be better than one from a continental team like Hardy in a particular day during the most important race of their season ?
No.

Anyone who's watched much racing knows that it's often the smaller teams who agitate and feature in breakaways.

To take one stage in isolation, with no context of the specifics of the riders' duties for that day/season so far/fatigue levels/duties for the remainder of the race/DS instructions, and then somehow extrapolate that into a bike fit issue is, frankly, nuts.

wingguy

by wingguy

Antoine wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm
not exactly the same race situation especially with the rain
Is climbing not still climbing when it's raining?

Was the race situation when Hansen got in the break and didn't win the only race situation when you can attribute the result to how good the bike fit is? How lucky is that for your argument that you got the one and only good data point available?

AJS914

by AJS914

Riders sometimes get instructions from the DS other than trying to win the stage. Sometimes it might be slow down the break to limit it's time. It might be to not work. Or, it might be to do a lot of work because the DS doesn't want the break to be caught. It's hard to comment on a single riders performance in a single break when you don't know what his role was. Plus one data point is meaningless to prove anything.

Antoine

by Antoine

wingguy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:03 pm
Antoine wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm
not exactly the same race situation especially with the rain
Is climbing not still climbing when it's raining?
is descending the same when it's raining ?
Apparently Hansen didn't crash that day going downhill (so good bike fit for descending) but many did and it may have influenced the stage.
AJS914 wrote: Riders sometimes get instructions from the DS other than trying to win the stage. ...
Right, but my crazy extrapolations make me think that during the first stages of the most important race of the year (for Lotto and Hansen) not only Hansen was fresh and in his best form but also Lotto (who is only targeting stage wins) did not hold him back and didn't count only on Greipel.

guyc

by guyc

Yes - crashing is entirely down to bike fit.

ergott

by ergott

Seriously Antoine, step away from the keyboard. This line of thought is going nowhere. Nothing about his fit is preventing him from any results. It's unconventional, but clearly works for him. If it didn't, we wouldn't even know his name.

wingguy

by wingguy

Antoine wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm
is descending the same when it's raining ?
Apparently Hansen didn't crash that day going downhill (so good bike fit for descending) but many did and it may have influenced the stage.
He dropped all but one of his breakaway companions going uphill, waited for the one guy who stayed with him when he crashed, then dropped the guy again on a later climb.
Right, but my crazy extrapolations make me think that during the first stages of the most important race of the year (for Lotto and Hansen) not only Hansen was fresh and in his best form but also Lotto (who is only targeting stage wins) did not hold him back and didn't count only on Greipel.
And yet you don’t extrapolate that Nibali, a grand tour and monument winning climber, should have been on good enough form in the first week of the TdF to avoid getting dropped for a minute by Steve Cummings on a Cat 1 climb? That’s totally fine without bike problems, but Hansen not winning a stage isn’t?