Adam Hansen's 2018 Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm
I wish him and his wonky seat a great season of racing.
well, he is the representative of the Peloton (TDU stages can be shorted due to heat after he agree with the organizer that it is a good idea to do so...), a guy who finish the most consecutive grand tour without break and no sign of fatique or injury. I think his seasons were great. He didn't seems to look for winning a stage or tour at this point. But rather, just keep enjoying his good seasons.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

This is exactly why you don't come here for fit advise. Lots of comments without any context.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

spinwax wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Taken from the article. “Just think if you were removing the wheel of a car. With a short wrench, it’s really hard. A longer wrench levers more power.

Crank length only matters in terms of torque if you are on a fixed gear or one speed bike. Sure there is a point where crank length will make a difference but the difference between a 170 or a 180 can easily be made up by shifting gears or changing final drive.

For a guy like Adam that is so absolute about a low position, you would think he would run a shorter crank to help with keeping his hip angle open (proven to help with breathing and comfort), range of motion to a minimum and his knees out of his chest.
There's a thread I found about this very topic, featuring Zakeen himself! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144251&start=0

roadhog44

by roadhog44

I think Adam could learn so much from you guys.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 am
Okay, not even I have my sadddle that far forward. I thought there's a UCI rule about that?
The peak of the saddle can be moved forward until the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle where that is necessary for morphological reasons. By morphological reasons should be understood everything to do with the size and limb length of the rider.

Any rider who, for these reasons, considers that he needs to use a bicycle of lesser dimensions than those given shall inform the commissaires' panel to that effect at the time of the bike check.

So basically, in road racing, the minimum limit to saddle setback is no longer 5cm but 0cm. (In TTs it's more complicated and is also tied into the length of the front end, but not on road.) For someone of Hansen's height that means there's effectively no limit on saddle setback, because you physically can't get the saddle that far forward anyway.
i can not imagine that adam hansen satisfies the requirement about "morphological reasons". probably his saddle setback ist still +5cm, due to seat-angle and seatpost-length.

roadhog44 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 pm
I think Adam could learn so much from you guys.
:smartass: :wink:

here you find measurments about his settings, although saddle setback.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... -sl-40445/

wingguy

by wingguy

reedplayer wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am
i can not imagine that adam hansen satisfies the requirement about "morphological reasons".
The only requirement necessary for a morphological exemption is..... asking for one. :wink:

Antoine

by Antoine

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm
Antoine wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am
he was in the break in last year TDF stage 3 and he wasn't better than the supposedly weaker guys from continental teams.
Really, your going to compare a veteran world tour rider who was racing in his 25th consecutive grand tour (2nd of the year at that point in the season), not to mention all the other racing days prior to the tour starting with the Tour Down Under?
I was comparing some racers at their best riding the most important race of their season and beeing in the same break.
Hansen didn't last longer than his fellow escapees.
So I'm thinking his setup works probably well most of the time when he's riding in the peloton for Greipel, but no so much in a break with some climbing involved

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^I'm guessing it was his lack of an aero frame, fork, seatpost, handlebar, deeper wheels.
Joking.
Sort of.

wingguy

by wingguy

Antoine wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am
So I'm thinking his setup works probably well most of the time when he's riding in the peloton for Greipel, but no so much in a break with some climbing involved
It's crazy to try and make that kind of extrapolation from one stage.

Denifl (pro conti) won his Vuelta stage from a break that had De Marchi, Moreno, Cort, Villela and Alaphillippe in it - all 'better' riders, tbh. So did he win because of his bike position? Steve Cummings won a 2016 Tour stage by outclimbing Vincenzo Nibali on the Col d'Aspin, and there's no doubt which of those two is the better climber! So did Nibali choose that day to make a really bad experiment with his bike fit? Must have done, right, what else could it be? :wink:

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm
I wish him and his wonky seat a great season of racing.
well, he is the representative of the Peloton (TDU stages can be shorted due to heat after he agree with the organizer that it is a good idea to do so...), a guy who finish the most consecutive grand tour without break and no sign of fatique or injury. I think his seasons were great. He didn't seems to look for winning a stage or tour at this point. But rather, just keep enjoying his good seasons.

Not sure , but just to clarify. Hansen is a strong GT rider and deserves a lot of respect for his achievements. I was just referring to the asthetic of is seat post and was certainly not dissing him in anyway , I’m a big fan,of his footwear by the way . Love a pair of those shoes.

morganb

by morganb

wingguy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm
Antoine wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am
It's crazy to try and make that kind of extrapolation from one stage.

Denifl (pro conti) won his Vuelta stage from a break that had De Marchi, Moreno, Cort, Villela and Alaphillippe in it - all 'better' riders, tbh. So did he win because of his bike position? Steve Cummings won a 2016 Tour stage by outclimbing Vincenzo Nibali on the Col d'Aspin, and there's no doubt which of those two is the better climber! So did Nibali choose that day to make a really bad experiment with his bike fit? Must have done, right, what else could it be? :wink:
Also to note is that Cummings runs a similar ultra aggressive (although with the saddle not quite as far forward) TT-like road position.

Antoine

by Antoine

don't you expect a proteam rider like Hansen to be better than one from a continental team like Hardy in a particular day during the most important race of their season ?
Cummings is a strong climber and he's targeting only stage wins , that's why he can sometimes beat Bardet, Pinot or Nibali who are targeting the GC and can't take a "day off" like Cummings during the tour.
Cummings 's Cervelo seatube is 73 degrees, he has more setback than Hansen.
The Vuelta is different, it's the end of the season and they have different forms and objectives.

wingguy

by wingguy

Antoine wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm
don't you expect a proteam rider like Hansen to be better than one from a continental team like Hardy in a particular day during the most important race of their season ?
Often, yeah - that doesn't mean something's wrong with the bike when it doesn't happen. Sport doesn't always go by the numbers. If we knew what was going to happen based on previous form what would be the point of watching!
Cummings is a strong climber and he's targeting only stage wins , that's why he can sometimes beat Bardet, Pinot or Nibali who are targeting the GC and can't take a "day off" like Cummings during the tour.
Nibali had already abandoned the GC in 2016 and was targeting the stage just like Cummings was. So how did Cummings beat him? Must have been the bike fit, right? Couldn't possibly be that sometimes riders have good days and bad days.

Antoine

by Antoine

I'm not saying he has a bad bike fit , I question if it's really efficient when riding in a break for hours with some cilmbing.

Cummings is super good and quite light for his size (75 kg or less for 1.90 m).
He's also smart , so on a good day I'm not surprised he can win a stage against the best climber.
He has much more setback than Hansen : http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ste ... n-colours/, maybe 5 cms more and Hansen is 1.86 m.

May be it was the case, but I don't expect Hansen to go on a break if he has a bad day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Clearly his bike fit is fine for him, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to ride so many GTs on the trot. However, I hope we can all agree that it looks horrendous.