Adam Hansen's 2018 Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am
I like his style but the seat post for me is a disaster. Why not have a straight seatpost and just adjust the seat .
The seat is already slammed forward on the rails. What would you do instead, Ray - put on a TT saddle? Do they look any better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

It's hard to imagine riding such a bike in a GT distances. I would feel like I was constantly slipping off the front of the saddle. I've heard though that more and more pros are doing this downward tilt saddle thing lately.

Is Hansen the only pro using almost a mid-foot cleat position?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^According to an above poster, yes. I have a downward saddle and don't feel like I'm sliding off the front but I probably have a greater percentage of body weight on my hands than normal and pushing hard on the pedals the whole time helps too. If your upper body isn't heavy it's not a problem and feels so much better in a low/aggressive position.

Antoine

by Antoine

it doesn't seem to work that well, he was in the break in last year TDF stage 3 and he wasn't better than the supposedly weaker guys from continental teams. R.Hardy was able to join the second break, A.Hansen couldn't .

jlok

by jlok

that "sliding forward" saddle tilt seems to be favouring climbing...

According to interview (I forgot where... Cyclists mag?) his reasoning of pushing the contact points forward is based on that he wants maximum leverage at foot (cleats as far back as possible, crank as long as possible). As a result saddle has to move forward and so are the hoods. Big saddle to bar drop means more aero, saving more watts and energy...

that's all reasonable and works for him apparently.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

wingguy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 am
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am
I like his style but the seat post for me is a disaster. Why not have a straight seatpost and just adjust the seat .
The seat is already slammed forward on the rails. What would you do instead, Ray - put on a TT saddle? Do they look any better?
Ray would put a straight seat post on and move the seat further up the rails of the seat. Then it would look propppaahhhhhh. :thumbup:

wingguy

by wingguy

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 pm
Ray would put a straight seat post on and move the seat further up the rails of the seat. Then it would look propppaahhhhhh. :thumbup:
The only way the saddle can move on the rails is backwards. So moving the saddle backwards and going to a straight post is going to put it at least 3cm further back.

Not sure any pro is going to want to change his position by 3cm+ so some guy who invents fake female personas to talk about himself on the internet will think his bike looks better....

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

wingguy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:12 pm
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 pm
The only way the saddle can move on the rails is backwards. So moving the saddle backwards and going to a straight post is going to put it at least 3cm further back.

Not sure any pro is going to want to change his position by 3cm+ so some guy who invents fake female personas to talk about himself on the internet will think his bike looks better....
I was actually just thinking of a way to eliminate the wonky looking seatpost , not so sure he would have to change position ,he could use a longer seat . I’m sure that’s possible . But this is all hypothetical and I wish him and his wonky seat a great season of racing.

morganb

by morganb

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am
It's hard to imagine riding such a bike in a GT distances. I would feel like I was constantly slipping off the front of the saddle. I've heard though that more and more pros are doing this downward tilt saddle thing lately.

Is Hansen the only pro using almost a mid-foot cleat position?
The frequency and intensity at which they are pedaling prevents that falling forward sensation.

wingguy

by wingguy

morganb wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 pm
The frequency and intensity at which they are pedaling prevents that falling forward sensation.
Hansen also looks pretty strong in the upper body for a non-sprinter pro cyclist. I would speculate that he does a fair amount of core and shoulder training for the purpose of making this position work better for him.

jlok

by jlok

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Love that interview, much insight into his thoughts there. I can totally see him going into carbon parts/shoes manufacturing after he retires!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:38 pm
Love that interview, much insight into his thoughts there. I can totally see him going into carbon parts/shoes manufacturing after he retires!
GCNs 'pro suitcase' video with him is also really interesting. Stuff like hacking apart a race radio to make it lighter, always using TT skinsuits etc.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Taken from the article. “Just think if you were removing the wheel of a car. With a short wrench, it’s really hard. A longer wrench levers more power.

Crank length only matters in terms of torque if you are on a fixed gear or one speed bike. Sure there is a point where crank length will make a difference but the difference between a 170 or a 180 can easily be made up by shifting gears or changing final drive.

For a guy like Adam that is so absolute about a low position, you would think he would run a shorter crank to help with keeping his hip angle open (proven to help with breathing and comfort), range of motion to a minimum and his knees out of his chest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Antoine wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am
he was in the break in last year TDF stage 3 and he wasn't better than the supposedly weaker guys from continental teams.
Really, your going to compare a veteran world tour rider who was racing in his 25th consecutive grand tour (2nd of the year at that point in the season), not to mention all the other racing days prior to the tour starting with the Tour Down Under?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"