Adam Hansen's 2018 Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... ery-51545/

I like checking out Adam's bikes and race results because he seems like the closest thing to me in the World Tour peloton.
Fellow WW poster.
Same height, weight, and age.
Climber despite being a bigger guy.
Obsessive techy who's not afraid to do things differently.
Same setup preferences (saddle high and forward, bar low). Okay, not even I have my sadddle that far forward. I thought there's a UCI rule about that?

Good luck this year Adam!

Conza

by Conza

:o
It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie

wingguy

by wingguy

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 am
Okay, not even I have my sadddle that far forward. I thought there's a UCI rule about that?
The peak of the saddle can be moved forward until the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle where that is necessary for morphological reasons. By morphological reasons should be understood everything to do with the size and limb length of the rider.

Any rider who, for these reasons, considers that he needs to use a bicycle of lesser dimensions than those given shall inform the commissaires' panel to that effect at the time of the bike check.

So basically, in road racing, the minimum limit to saddle setback is no longer 5cm but 0cm. (In TTs it's more complicated and is also tied into the length of the front end, but not on road.) For someone of Hansen's height that means there's effectively no limit on saddle setback, because you physically can't get the saddle that far forward anyway.

siauragama

by siauragama

Lelandjt wrote:
Same setup preferences (saddle high and forward, bar low). Okay, not even I have my sadddle that far forward. I thought there's a UCI rule about that?
I like it this way too. This is a good setup to ride fast and straight. When it comes to handling/steering I find there is too much weight on the front wheel.
How do you deal with that? Move weight backwards before breaking/steering?

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

it looks hideous

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

siauragama wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am
Lelandjt wrote:
I like it this way too. This is a good setup to ride fast and straight. When it comes to handling/steering I find there is too much weight on the front wheel.
Long top tube/short stem. I could fit on a 58 with a long stem but I like a 60 or 61. I've always used a 100mm stem but just switched to a 110 to really stretch out. Combined with the short chainstay and steep head angle of a race bike I'd say the weight distribution and handling are nice.
This is the way some mountain bikers have been doing it for decades and now nearly all mountain bikes are set up that way. I can't see a reason for road bikes to not also go with this geometry except for the added weight over a smaller frame.
Last edited by Lelandjt on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siauragama

by siauragama

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Long top tube/short stem.
Thanks! That probably explains why it felt so stable on a long and low 54cm frame with 90mm stem/compact bars and zero offset seatpost (74.5 deg STA).
I now ride 50cm frame with 120mm and long reach bars. Feels very different :)

morganb

by morganb

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm
siauragama wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Long top tube/short stem. I could fit on a 58 with a long stem but I like a 60 or 61. I've always used a 100mm stem but just switched to a 110. Combined with the short chainstay and steep head angle of a race bike I'd say the weight distribution and handling are nice.
This is the way some mountain bikers have been doing it for decades and now nearly all mountain bikes are set up that way. I can't see a reason for road bikes to not also go with this geometry except for the added weight over a smaller frame.
My Carver I had built with a longer than normal top tube for my size and run a 100mm stem instead of a 120mm. The handling on technical paved descents is amazing and it is much more stable off road.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

There will be some crit racer who will say this setup isn't nimble enough but in the real world and once becoming accustomed to it I doubt there's ever a stituation where a "new geo" bike would give up anything to traditional geo. XC MTB racers are just now starting to discover this as they were the last MTBers to adopt it due to their belief that at low speeds they needed a long stem.

spud

by spud

when going all in for a position like this, the limiting factor becomes the head tube length - no use pushing your saddle forward and riding a big frame with a short stem stuck way up in the air. The -17 degree stem will only get you so far. Obviously not a problem for Hansen on his bike, but for others it may well be.

siauragama

by siauragama

spud wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:40 pm
Obviously not a problem for Hansen on his bike
And thats probably a -20 deg stem Hansen is riding.

ergott

by ergott

You can't look at his position without mentioning his cleat placement as well.

Digger90

by Digger90

Hansen seems to know his body and I'm sure that setup works for him. But I agree - it looks HIDEOUS!!!

I know that for my body it would put far too much weight on my wrists, and would cause a lot of neck pain.

ergott

by ergott

Digger90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I know that for my body it would put far too much weight on my wrists, and would cause a lot of neck pain.
Hansen's feet are a few cm forward due to his cleat position as well so it's less extreme than it looks. Also, he puts out a lot of power so there isn't that much weight on his upper body. His legs keep him in that position, not his arms.

by Weenie

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

gewichtweenie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am
it looks hideous
No, it looks cool. Cause everything Adam Hansen does look cool, period.

Ok, well maybe except for that one time he was picking his nose in front of the camera. ;-)
Last edited by de lars cuevas on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.