Front Light for Aerobars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I've tried doing my due diligence and came up pretty short with ideas. I'm wondering, for all you guys that are riding Canyon's, Madone 9's and Cento 10's, what are you guys using for front lights? I'm trying to come up with a solution that wont require having to endure a session of tourettes trying to stretch a regular light around a thick aerobar, let alone have that light take up a large section of the top of my bars..

I know that Lezyne has the Strip Drive but are there any witty ways of trying to mount such a light towards the center of the bar?
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I usually have a Knog Blinder Mini on my Pro Vibe aero handlebar (see the picture on the left side of the stem).
https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/be- ... i-dot.html

And I have also a Serfas USL-6 Thunderbolt USB which is stronger.
https://www.serfas.com/shop/products/li ... headlight/
Attachments
1.jpg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Use a computer mount with a built-in GoPro mount point underneath and attach the light there? Rec-Mounts have lots of different models for various integrated bars and for the light I personally use a Sirius MK6 from Exposure Lights.

TLN

by TLN

MayhemSWE wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 am
Use a computer mount with a built-in GoPro mount point underneath and attach the light there? Rec-Mounts have lots of different models for various integrated bars and for the light I personally use a Sirius MK6 from Exposure Lights.
But then you need to find a gopro mount for light(my cygolite don't have one) and your light stays upside down and will blind other people.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Quattroporte

by Quattroporte

Not sure which bike/bar you're asking about. Madone 9s have a variety of Blendr mounts for lights, computers, cameras, etc. including single and dual mounts specific to that bar.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I don't have integrated bar/stem, but going with the GoPro mount idea...
I mounted a 900+ Lum flashlight on a GoPro mount with a steel clamp loom and some washers from Home Depot. Flashlight is a nitecore SRT7 and will run a few hours at around 500 Lum on a 18650 Li-Ion battery. I've also done this with a Nitecore SRT5 using a 14500 battery, which is slightly dimmer, but still outperforms any bike specific lights I've had in the past.

Now some will express concern about the beam pattern and blinding others, but I use this exclusively on road and have never had a car flash it's brights at me. Full beam is plenty bright enough for 30-35mph.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I'm actually trying to fit a light to a Albarda stem/bar that uses a proprietary garmin mount but doesn't help accomodate the ability to attach anything underneath the garmin unit. Currently using a Trek ion 100 which I love but is definitely more finicky having to mount it on an aerobar as the light really doesn't have a solid foundation on edge of bars to keep it from rotating up or down.

Those Knog Frogs look interesting but at only 25 lumens, I don't think its going to help me in being seen in the dark.. Moon MkII is another option but I reckon it may blind me first given its design for a wider light spread.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TonyM

by TonyM

jimaizumi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 am
(...)
Those Knog Frogs look interesting but at only 25 lumens, I don't think its going to help me in being seen in the dark..
(...)
I have also a brighter light from Knog with 80 lumens and with 120° visibility.
https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/be- ... chips.html

Here the full range:
https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/be- ... ights.html

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

TLN wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 pm
But then you need to find a gopro mount for light(my cygolite don't have one) and your light stays upside down and will blind other people.
Well, yeah, obviously you will need a light that can still be mounted with the lens in the proper orientation. The Exposure Sirius MK6 I use is pretty much just shaped like a flashlight but with an extra "lip" above the lens to reduce blinding. The actual mount is just a simple plastic clip.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I have pics somewhere... I adapted a GoPro mount to hold a short piece of PVC.

Pop that on a GoPro mount, you can attach whatever standard round handlebar mount thing you want to the pvc pipe.

It ain't pretty. Or cool. Or aero. Or WW. But it works.

Excellent alternative..... helmet mount.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Here's the pics. And ideals from other people:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138307

tepextate

by tepextate

Bumping this thread! I'm running a Cervelo AB06 handlebar (which has an oval shape to it) and am finding it difficult to find a proper front light (not a daylight running light) that will fit on the bar.

Would love to go for the combo Garmin/light option, but the stock K-Edge product doesn't fit (since it clamps onto a standard 31.8mm round bar), and the Cervelo specific mount made by Bar Fly apparently can't hold both a 1030 Plus and a front light since it's too heavy. As such, I think I'll be relegated to the very ugly option of mounting a front light on the handlebar itself somewhere!

Question is what light? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

This one is extremely tidy and works well for me, if you need light to be seen, rather than to see. https://www.merlincycles.com/fabric-lu ... source=PHG

sib

by sib

@ aeroisnteverything

What's the beam pattern like on the Lumaray?
If I installed it upside down, would the light be directed up towards the sky?

keno190

by keno190

I'm using a NiteRider Lumina 1200. There's a k-edge nite rider gopro adapter that will let you attach it to a mount. You mount it upside down but there's a lot of tilt adjustment and I have the light pointing to the ground.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com