New ENVE adjustable road stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

wingguy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 pm
For 400, I'd want them to integrate a Di2 junction box mount.
Leaving aside that 400 is a total guess, why would anyone bother designing a new stem with a junction box mount in it? What's the point?

Because you can't fit it to Enve bars with that foreskin thingy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I personally think the bar end junction looks shithouse, would prefer it hidden at the bb or in the stem

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 am
Enve revised their bars last year to be barend junction compatible. Just cut off the tapered foreskin bit.

kode54

by kode54

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:02 pm
Marin wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 am
Enve revised their bars last year to be barend junction compatible. Just cut off the tapered foreskin bit.
i'm not sure if its available yet...and also, it only applies to the newest SES road bars.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TLN

by TLN

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm
I personally think the bar end junction looks shithouse, would prefer it hidden at the bb or in the stem
After etap everything looks shithouse :roll:
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

DurianGrey

by DurianGrey

ergott wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm
eric01 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am
Okay, I'm going to be "that guy". For 300-400 GBP I could buy every length Kalloy stem in both -6 and -17 angles.
It's a very valid point. It has to be realized that every component on a bike doesn't have to be luxury priced by a factor of 10. Good component is $50? Ours should be $500.
how else is everyone going to know that I am not only rich, but refuse to make "compromises"?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Agreed. I have no problem with it under the stem and simply use some Sugru to fix it there. Voila - no strap, it's secure and easily accessible and I don't have to fuss with routing any cables inside handlebars.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

wingguy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 pm
For 400, I'd want them to integrate a Di2 junction box mount.
Leaving aside that 400 is a total guess, why would anyone bother designing a new stem with a junction box mount in it? What's the point?

1. I don't want to fish Di2 cables through my bars all the way down the drops. From the levers to the clamp area is fine with me.
2. I wrap my tape top down (no ugly electrical tape), and as such have to plug it at the end of the drops.
3. I don't want to go buy another junction box when the one I have works perfectly fine.
4. I don't really have a #4 at the moment, but felt I needed to add another number for good measure.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

A bit of a derailment on the original thread but since were here: I suspect most teams wont be running the handlebar junctions simply because of the PIA for replacing \ crashes. The frame mount for the junction is a bit more elegant I think.

The enve stem is snazzy, looks like their answer to the PRO Sprint that cav used to run.
Just ride ..

wingguy

by wingguy

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm
3. I don't want to go buy another junction box when the one I have works perfectly fine.
I would imagine the vast majority of people who are actually going to buy the new Enve stem will already have bought the new barend junction simply because it's the new junction.

I'm not surprised that Enve didn't make the design of the new stem massively more complicated (than it already is :P ) to satisfy the very small number of other people out there for whom it's a deal breaker.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm
I would imagine the vast majority of people who are actually going to buy the new Enve stem will already have bought the new barend junction simply because it's the new junction.

I'm not surprised that Enve didn't make the design of the new stem massively more complicated (than it already is :P ) to satisfy the very small number of other people out there for whom it's a deal breaker.
Well, they do have a 5-port junction using a strap on Renshaw's bike, so hard to say what the vast majority of people are going to do, but based on the first public sighting.... Also, bar end junction does have a limit on the number of ports. Not sure why Renshaw's bike needs a 5-port, but hey, who am I to argue with the logic of a pro tour team.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

wingguy

by wingguy

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 pm
Well, they do have a 5-port junction using a strap on Renshaw's bike,
I said people who are actually going to buy it. I don't think Mark Renshaw has ever bought anything from Enve in his life :wink:

ms6073

by ms6073

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:37 pm
i'm not sure if its available yet...and also, it only applies to the newest SES road bars.
Seems like it is partly implemented as I purchased the new version of the aero bars last November and the bars have the line stenciled on the drops near the bar end, but Enve's support documents mention a cosmetic cover that slips over the bar end to make the bar ends match, and that was not included.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cpark

by cpark

eric01 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am
Okay, I'm going to be "that guy". For 300-400 GBP I could buy every length Kalloy stem in both -6 and -17 angles.
Well said!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

anyone know if this is any closer to release? Sae Otter this weekend