Quarq Dzero w. Campagnolo, chainline question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Would appreciate some advice on the compatibility of the current Quarq Dzero GXP carbon crank powermeter with Campagnolo Ch, R or SR drivetrain.

Campag chainline is documented as 43.5mm while for the Quarq sources indicate 45mm. Does this imply that chainrings on the Quarq will be pushed 1.5mm outward compared to Campag?

Is this something that could cause issues depending on the frame and chainstay length? I am having in mind a combination of Campa mechanical non-disc with Quarq+Praxis rings on a frame with 409mm chainstay.

Thanks for your attention

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

I've been running the previous quarq sram red 10 speed power meter on campagnolo 11 speed for nearly 5 years and the only issue slightly was front changing onto the big ring wasn't as smooth and occasionally dropping it onto the small ring it would drop straight off but a chain catcher solved that one. Otherwise it's never caused me a problem and I swap it in between my winter bike and indoor training bike. If you haven't bought the dzero yet then I would try to go Campag chainrings so you'd be limited to power2max or used SRM but I have the NG version and it's been fantastic and I would say worth the extra over the Quarq. I've also bought a Campag stages that I'm using but I'm undecided on that as the battery is lasting less than 10 hours before needing to be replaced so I'll be contacting Stages about that one. Even though that's less than half the price of a P2M.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

I had the Quarq Red DZero with my otherwise Campagnolo SR drivetrain on my C60 And had nothing but chainline issues with it rubbing on the cage the front derailleur, or dropping the chain, in the end I gave up and sold it. Replaced with an SR crank and a Stages PM which shifted perfectly.

Chainstay length for my C60 was 412

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

havana

by havana

Ik run a Quarq DZero with Potenza; it's works perfectly. No issues there.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

c60rider wrote:I've been running the previous quarq sram red 10 speed power meter on campagnolo 11 speed for nearly 5 years and the only issue slightly was front changing onto the big ring wasn't as smooth and occasionally dropping it onto the small ring it would drop straight off but a chain catcher solved that one. Otherwise it's never caused me a problem and I swap it in between my winter bike and indoor training bike. If you haven't bought the dzero yet then I would try to go Campag chainrings so you'd be limited to power2max or used SRM but I have the NG version and it's been fantastic and I would say worth the extra over the Quarq. I've also bought a Campag stages that I'm using but I'm undecided on that as the battery is lasting less than 10 hours before needing to be replaced so I'll be contacting Stages about that one. Even though that's less than half the price of a P2M.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also thinking about p2m but the cost is almost double of the Quarq.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

moonoi wrote:I had the Quarq Red DZero with my otherwise Campagnolo SR drivetrain on my C60 And had nothing but chainline issues with it rubbing on the cage the front derailleur, or dropping the chain, in the end I gave up and sold it. Replaced with an SR crank and a Stages PM which shifted perfectly.

Chainstay length for my C60 was 412

Thanks for the comment. Did you use the Quarq Red with Sram chainrings?

moonoi

by moonoi

Yes I did

Boshk

by Boshk

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 pm
c60rider wrote:I've been running the previous quarq sram red 10 speed power meter on campagnolo 11 speed for nearly 5 years and the only issue slightly was front changing onto the big ring wasn't as smooth and occasionally dropping it onto the small ring it would drop straight off but a chain catcher solved that one. Otherwise it's never caused me a problem and I swap it in between my winter bike and indoor training bike. If you haven't bought the dzero yet then I would try to go Campag chainrings so you'd be limited to power2max or used SRM but I have the NG version and it's been fantastic and I would say worth the extra over the Quarq. I've also bought a Campag stages that I'm using but I'm undecided on that as the battery is lasting less than 10 hours before needing to be replaced so I'll be contacting Stages about that one. Even though that's less than half the price of a P2M.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also thinking about p2m but the cost is almost double of the Quarq.

Where are you? I thought Quarq was way more expensive? If you are referring to the p2m campagnolo specific meters then yes, it is expensive, but if you can live without a campagnolo crankarm, the 3d24, fsa 386evo with the praxis rings is way cheaper.

Some guys are said praxis rings shift great, nearly as good as shimano and campy specific, some have said 'they are horrible' .....

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

An interesting observation from today.

On the Italian Colnago forum, there is a photo of Davide Fumagalli's C64 disc. He's running Campa EPS with a Quarq powermeter crankset. As far as I understood, he says it's functioning well but he is looking to replace it with something else. Can't however see what are the installed chainrings.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

What forum is that?

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Mockenrue wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am
What forum is that?
https://www.bdc-mag.com/forum/threads/c ... 1/page-195

But you have to register to see full scale photos.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Boshk wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am
Where are you? I thought Quarq was way more expensive? If you are referring to the p2m campagnolo specific meters then yes, it is expensive, but if you can live without a campagnolo crankarm, the 3d24, fsa 386evo with the praxis rings is way cheaper.

Some guys are said praxis rings shift great, nearly as good as shimano and campy specific, some have said 'they are horrible' .....
In Europe Dzero is 700-730€ depends whats your VAT.
P2M older S-type 1399€ (incl. chainrings)

So Quarq is pretty good money save if you can get it work.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

You haven't said what frame you are running.
If possible, running a 30mm spindle Quarq gives you some flexibility over the precise chainline, at least with Rotor BSA30 threaded cups. The spindle requires some spacers, which are available from SRAM in 0.5mm increments. You can easily mount the crankset slightly over to one side.

Your legs will not notice the assymmetry but your shifting might. If you are desperate to correct the Q-factor to even you can use a pedal washer on the NDS.

Personally (DZero/Praxis user) I would get a Campag P2Max for a perfect mechanical and cosmetic match - think this would be worth the expense.
Beyond that I can't see why a P2Max NG is more desirable; Quarq has a user replaceable traditional battery and the facility to recalibrate at the user end which is valuable if you use multiple powermeters.
Added to this in my hands the Praxis rings shift fantastically and much better than the SRAM rings on my older Quarq.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

petromyzon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am

Personally (DZero/Praxis user) I would get a Campag P2Max for a perfect mechanical and cosmetic match - think this would be worth the expense.
I'm not sure how double the price is worth the expense. You could buy an extra 1 sided pm for the difference - or a whole SR crankset

Where does it actually state chainline is 45mm? Just curious if the NHB spiders are the same?

Found it. pg45. Dzero crank Approx 44.4mm and sram chainline 45mm pg19
https://www.sram.com/sites/default/file ... 7_road.pdf
Chasse patate