Shimano R9150 RD - Why so few direct mount hangers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

msv

by msv

Here's a direct mount hanger I made for my Cannondale Synapse. Currently off being anodized awaiting final installation.

Hopefully now that the this "standard" extends down to the 105 group, maybe more direct mount options will come from the bike manufacturers.
Attachments
IMG_1507.jpg
IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

msv wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 am
Here's a direct mount hanger I made for my Cannondale Synapse. Currently off being anodized awaiting final installation.
That's cool, I'm in a (slow) process of designing my own direct mount hanger for FM079. The hardest part so far has been reverse engineering dropout to hanger interface, I find curve approximation to be challenging without much prior CAD experience. Here's my workflow: scan both sides of hanger, luckily the shape allows for that; make as much reference measurements as possible, but in my case nothing except bolts/holes are good enough; design the thing as close as possible; print the model surfaces to paper, cut out, match to the original, tweak and repeat until satisfied with result (I'm here right now, with several iterations). Obviously, all hangers have different shape and idea behind them, but in my case I figured the replacement should match only bolt holes and QR shoulder because only dropout/endcap bear the actual load, you'd want an even surface there to distribute the it evenly. Am I correct in this assumption? Does this carry over to thru axle hanger (I started on that too, but the project stalled)?
Attachments
fm079 hanger wip 1.PNG

TonyM

by TonyM

survivor wrote:Looks like Pinarello has made the direct mount hanger official via its MOST component.

http://www.mostbike.it/en/products/acce ... rect-mount
I suppose it is made for the Pinarello Dogma F10, right?
Can I also use it on a different bike, for example on a BMC Roadmachine?

DartanianX

by DartanianX

No.

Each frame uses a specific interface and therefore specific hanger. There is some cross over but it’s so limited it’s not even a thing.

Jump on the wheels manufacturing website and look at the sheer number of different hangers and you’ll start to get an understanding for the lack of a standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxxevv

by maxxevv

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am
survivor wrote:Looks like Pinarello has made the direct mount hanger official via its MOST component.

http://www.mostbike.it/en/products/acce ... rect-mount
The latest BMC frames come with an extra Direct Mount hanger as far as I have seen.

And no, its frame specific.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

msv wrote:

Hopefully now that the this "standard" extends down to the 105 group, maybe more direct mount options will come from the bike manufacturers.
Nice! Are you going to make it for other model? :thumbup:

survivor

by survivor

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am
I am not sure whether it is compatible with the older model like the Pinarello Dogma F8.

I believe BMC Roadmachine already came with their specific direct mount hanger.

msv

by msv

excremanwu wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 am
msv wrote:

Nice! Are you going to make it for other model? :thumbup:
Sorry, no. No one would be willing to spend the amount that it would take to make it worthwhile.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

msv wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 am

Sorry, no. No one would be willing to spend the amount that it would take to make it worthwhile.
Same here. In the process of making one for my bike. Unless one is talking about a batch production of at least 20, the costs are just not going to cut it for the casual buyer.

msv

by msv

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 am
msv wrote:
That's cool, I'm in a (slow) process of designing my own direct mount hanger for FM079. The hardest part so far has been reverse engineering dropout to hanger interface, I find curve approximation to be challenging without much prior CAD experience. Here's my workflow: scan both sides of hanger, luckily the shape allows for that; make as much reference measurements as possible, but in my case nothing except bolts/holes are good enough; design the thing as close as possible; print the model surfaces to paper, cut out, match to the original, tweak and repeat until satisfied with result (I'm here right now, with several iterations). Obviously, all hangers have different shape and idea behind them, but in my case I figured the replacement should match only bolt holes and QR shoulder because only dropout/endcap bear the actual load, you'd want an even surface there to distribute the it evenly. Am I correct in this assumption? Does this carry over to thru axle hanger (I started on that too, but the project stalled)?
As long as the fixing screw holes are correctly located with respect to the QR axle cutout, and it fits in the frame then that should be all you need. It goes without saying that you need to properly locate the derailleur mounting hole an the little protrusion for the b-adjust screw. The friction created by the clamping of the QR is what actually holds everything in place. Of course, your surfaces need to be flat and perpendicular to the wheel axis.

Thru axle hanger is the same way.

msv

by msv

Here's the final product.
Attachments
001.jpg
002.jpg
IMG_1652.jpeg
IMG_1655.jpeg
IMG_1654 2.jpeg

maxxevv

by maxxevv

msv wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 am
Very neat implementation. :beerchug:

msv

by msv

maxxevv wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am
msv wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 am
Very neat implementation. :beerchug:
Thanks! I'm very happy with the result. :D

spud

by spud

I notice you kept the semi circular ridge on the inside mounting face. Are you using that to deflect the incoming axle from dinging the underside of the dropout when mounting a wheel? Otherwise, it serves to no structural purpose, it only adds to the amount of material removed/machining costs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

What's the final weight?

Even the hanger from Most (Pinarello) which doesnt seem to have big lighting effort can reduce some grams...