Shimano R9150 RD - Why so few direct mount hangers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1llum4

by 1llum4

Seems like Cervelo have no plans right now to make a direct mount hanger for most of their bikes. Did mnost people in this thread that made their own DM hanger did their own cad file and went to their local machinist/cnc shop ? Is there a place that I could send the spec of the regular Cervelo RAT derailleur hanger and the spec of DM to them and have a RAT DM hanger ?

I have seen one or two bmc with DM hanger and campy 12 speed derailleur it looked super slick and would love to have the same setup on my cervelo R3disc and SR 12speed RD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

Here's another one I did for my Cannondale Slate. The original hanger is actually the same as that on my Synapse, but due to the dropouts on the Slate frame, I had to make a different one to fit in the cutout.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

If anyone wants CAD files, email me.
Attachments
Hongfu FM-079 with custom direct mount rear derailleur hanger
Hongfu FM-079 with custom direct mount rear derailleur hanger

nycebo

by nycebo

Fabulous job.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Very cool, Klaster! What was the intention of going to the direct mount? Save some weight?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:24 am
Very cool, Klaster! What was the intention of going to the direct mount? Save some weight?
Yeah, the new hanger saved about 12g from rear derailleur. With all the mods, my RD-R9100 now weights 138g, stock was 159g.

nycebo

by nycebo

Plus it looks MUCH better. Good work!

ms6073

by ms6073

Not to mention rear wheel changes are a bit easier with the increased clearance. I went with Wolftooth DM's for our Scott Solace and Contessa Solace disc bikes but sure wish Wheels Manufacturing would start churning out direct mount versions of their replacement hangars.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

msv

by msv

I have to second the fact that removing/installing the rear wheel is easier with the direct mount hanger. While it might not seem totally intuitive, the thickness of the material on the standard hanger where the derailleur bolts into it overlaps the end of the wheel axle and can make it difficult for the wheel to drop out. With the direct mount hanger the axle can drop straight out without any interference.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Unless you’ve got a direct mount hanger that places the derailleur outside of where Shimano specs it to be, wheel changes are no different. The hangup, on frames that are affected, comes at the upper pulley wheel, not the hanger. And that pulley should be in exactly the same place regardless of which hanger you are using. I’m sure some are modifying the hangers a bit to place the derailleur perhaps further back than spec in the cases where rear wheel removal proved troublesome otherwise, but that also pulls the derailleur further away from the cogs and shifting becomes less than it could be. Still perfectly functional, but not optimal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

msv

by msv

Calnago wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm
Unless you’ve got a direct mount hanger that places the derailleur outside of where Shimano specs it to be, wheel changes are no different. The hangup, on frames that are affected, comes at the upper pulley wheel, not the hanger. And that pulley should be in exactly the same place regardless of which hanger you are using. I’m sure some are modifying the hangers a bit to place the derailleur perhaps further back than spec in the cases where rear wheel removal proved troublesome otherwise, but that also pulls the derailleur further away from the cogs and shifting becomes less than it could be. Still perfectly functional, but not optimal.
I know you are adamant that it makes no difference based on all of your earlier comments in the thread. My direct mount hangers do not move the derailleur AT ALL compared to the original position. The removal of the small overlap of the axle and the original derailleur mount has made all the difference in ease of wheel removal/replacement. While you are more than entitled to your opinion, this is my direct experience of replacing the original 2-piece mounting with a dedicated direct mount hanger with absolutely zero change in the position of the derailleur. The couple millimeters that the orignal mounting boss overlapped the end of the axle made the wheel more difficult to remove.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What frame have you got? Perhaps it’s not even the issue being talked about in this thread. What is the distance from the rear of your bb shell to the center of your rear axle. If it’s greater than 350mm then it’s not even the same thing and could very well be something else specific to your setup that was getting in the way. Perhaps you could take a picture of where it was hanging up exactly while trying to remove the wheel?
If your cassette was not getting hung up on the upper pulley then your issue is/was separate from the one I’be been discussing and pretty well known. If that’s the case, then good on you for fixing it.
Looking at your pic above, I kind of do think that the difficulty you may have been experiencing had nothing to do with the issue of rear wheel removal that affects some frames with the new derailleurs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

msv

by msv

The situation is that you are adamant that changing to a direct mount hanger can have absolutely no bearing on the ease of wheel ingress/egress, where I say it can and did. This happens to be a Cannondale Slate, and has short chainstays. There is not a lot of room to remove the wheel with the tire inflated and the overlap of the hanger made it a PITA to allow the wheel out as the tire hit the bottom bracket and the axle hit the derailleur hanger protrusion and then you still need it to navigate around the derailleur itself. The hanger itself is another impediment to deal with as the inner surface is inboard of the dropouts unless you have a direct mount version.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Different issue although it may also be close in your case. And short chainstays aren’t the defining attribute that will cause the issue, although it certainly is more likely. It is the distance between the rear of the BB shell and the center of the rear axle. I’ve seen chainstays of 415mm but still had the issue due to how much material was behind the BB shell. You’ve got other issues going on as well, so good for you if you fixed those. I’m assuming your cassette never did hang up on the upper pulley then. And my bad for automatically assuming you were talking about the other issue that I’ve gone on about at great length. Apologies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jakubklouda

by jakubklouda

msv wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am
Here's another one I did for my Cannondale Slate. The original hanger is actually the same as that on my Synapse, but due to the dropouts on the Slate frame, I had to make a different one to fit in the cutout.

Hi,
is there any chance to get this to carbon Synapse?
Thanks