Chainrings for first gen Sram Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mrs. Gib's travel bike has an original 5 arm Sram Red crank and before I replace the stock rings with more of the same or perhaps Praxisworks, I was curious if anyone had a better alternative. My main complaint is that with the stock rings the chain catches the teeth of the big ring when in the small/small combo. I also get contact when in the second cog and even a bit in the third cog It would be nice if the replacement rings performed like Red 22 rings which run clean in any combination. The problem is IIRC Red 22 rings won't work with the old style crank.

I have Praxisworks rings on another bike and while they are good overall, they are still not great in small/small. The Praxis I have are a few years old - have they improved? The other thing about Paxis is that they want you to use any chain but Sram. Unfortunately the cassette is Sram and works best with Sram chains. Anybody get good results with Praxisworks and Sram chains?

Other suggestions?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Red 22 rings will work on the old style crank, they now come with the chain drop pin for either position.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sungod

by sungod

you'd need to measure positions and do the trigonometry, but it may be inevitable that the chain rubs in such a situation - i've got sram and shimano both would rub if i cross chained that way

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

glepore wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm
Red 22 rings will work on the old style crank, they now come with the chain drop pin for either position.
Thanks, I remember now. The un-needed pin comes out and they give you a little rubber grommet to fill the hole. My memory is clearly failing. :?
sungod wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 pm
you'd need to measure positions and do the trigonometry, but it may be inevitable that the chain rubs in such a situation - i've got sram and shimano both would rub if i cross chained that way
Even with Sram 11 speed? I have Red 22 on a few bikes as well as second generation 10 speed on others running on Exogram cranks and in all cases small/small runs perfectly clear or nearly so even on bikes with short chainstays, and even on my cross bike with the wider rear end. Shimano not so much. Perhaps some bike designs just ask for too much angle.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Also, a 34/50 compact crank (not sure what’s on your wife’s bike) will be more likely to exhibit that behaviorl because the difference between the two diameters of the rings is greater than it is on say, a standard 39/53 setup.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Indeed, the 16 tooth difference increases the problem on all bikes relative to the standard 39-53. Nice thing about Sram 22 is that the chain runs clear even with the 34-50 crankset. Comes down to well designed rings.