Most Well Known Online Bike Retailers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Cross Shop Online Always?

Always check Nashbar
2%
Always check Bikesdirect
5%
Always check Amazon
11%
Never Shop Online For Bicycles
11%
Never Heard of Bikesdirect
36%
Never Hear of Nashbar
33%
Did not know you could buy bicycles online
2%

Total votes: 55

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Was having another bike shop buddy argument again- taking it to the forum to settle

Particularly for the USA, Nashbar and Bikesdirect. Those two seem to be particularly in/famous

His contention is that practically everyone knows about them.
And he thinks everyone cross shops them before making a Complete Bicycle or major purchase above $900

I disagree - I think a large percentage of cyclists do not know about or even go to either of those places
although they are pretty much known to every bike shop in the USA and seen as undercutting local shop margins

Edited to align topic to focus more on complete bikes and purchases above $900 :)
Last edited by joeg26er on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Seems higher end shoppers would check Performance before Amazon, but I could be wrong.
When looking for a fendered rain bike, I came close once with Probikekit.
Ended up buying one of their frames and building it myself. Resulted in a better bike for the same price.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Lets not forget competitive cyclist for US customers. They have a fairly good selection and great customer service.

kode54

by kode54

Competitive Cyclist was great, before it was sold to Backcountry. it went downhill and now, its clawing its way back to the front burner.
Performance was good at one time...and typically, a west coast transplant since most of their stores are out west.

i tend to check Biketiresdirect and Excel Sports...and occasionally check Glory Cycles.

all high-end parts are sourced from Fairwheel Bikes. one of my favorite places (not for my wallet).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

atakaoka

by atakaoka

How about Glory cycles in FL and R&A cycles NY? Or they may be more know internationaly? Sorry I forgot Fairwheelbikes too.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

For a forum that is known to be very international compared to other bicycle-related forums, this is a bit of a skewed poll, no?
You may have better results on a forum such as Bikeforums, which is mostly US-based participants.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

prendrefeu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm
For a forum that is known to be very international compared to other bicycle-related forums, this is a bit of a skewed poll, no?
You may have better results on a forum such as Bikeforums, which is mostly US-based participants.
The other thing my shop buddy said as "EVERY bike geek KNOWS Bikesdirect"
I disagreed - I don't think most geeks consider BD to be as good on high end since they don't stock any marques like Colnago, Niner, Sant Cruz etc

themidge

by themidge

+1, I've never been on any of the sites in the poll but in the UK there are several good ones, including but not limited to:
-Wiggle (you get haribos in the box)
-ProBikeKit (my favourite as I have a discount code :D )
-Chainreactioncycles (if probikekit doesn't have something, CRC does)
-Acycles (basically just for stronglight chainrings)
-fleebay for stuff nobody in their right mind buys new

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've started just using Google. It finds me the best price, US based or international. There are a lot of smaller online sellers that have really good pricing on things, like Tree Fort Bikes.

That said, regarding Performance/Nashbar - the selection is rather limited.

I think the biggest selection/easiest to navigate is probably Universal Cycles. They basically put the QBP catalog online.

ooo

by ooo

NA and EU market have their own leaders, they are separated because of shipping fees
'

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I never shop for bikes on-line. I value the expertise of the local bike shop and/or builder. In my opinion on-line ordering implies limited support and is more appropriate for the low end customer. I would not expect service and support after purchase and assume the on-line retailer would not provide any. For a purchase that's likely to be in the thousands of dollars, this does not bode well for a good relationship
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I live in USA, normally for big purchase in general i check
lordgunbicycles.co.uk
Starbike.com
merlincycles.com
wiggle.co.uk
ribble.co.uk (their search tools are not good though)
chainreactioncycles.com
First then proceed to check other smaller bike shop more locally (or just being closer to me) including
fairwheelbikes.com
competitivecyclist.com
backcountry.com
artscyclery.com
amazon
ebay

LordGunBicycles and Starbike.com although often having best price, don't offer free shipping so for low price purchase i just skip them. Otherwise for smaller items i also check in the similar order.

i almost never go to Nashbar or Bikesdirect unless Google says they have best price.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

I bought my first real bicycle — a Pinarello Treviso — 30+ years ago over the phone from an ad in the back of Bicycling Magazine. Pretty sure that makes me a hipster?

My next two bikes I bought from a LBS, though neither was in the city where I live. I bought my last bike as a closeout from Competitive Cyclist. Agree the latter lost a certain cachet after being bought up by Backcountry.

Before gravitating to the European online retailers (CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Sigma Sport, Starbike, Bike24, etc.), I used to shop Excel Sports, Colorado Cyclist, Cambria Bike Outfitter… Here in Canada, I'll usually check La Bicicletta and Canada Bicycle Parts or stop by the local MEC.

As God is my witness, I'd never heard of Bikesdirect before today. That is one fugly website :shock: I'm guessing none of their overhead goes to cultivating their web presence.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

ManekiNico wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm
I bought my first real bicycle — a Pinarello Treviso — 30+ years ago over the phone from an ad in the back of Bicycling Magazine. Pretty sure that makes me a hipster?

My next two bikes I bought from a LBS, though neither was in the city where I live. I bought my last bike as a closeout from Competitive Cyclist. Agree the latter lost a certain cachet after being bought up by Backcountry.

Before gravitating to the European online retailers (CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Sigma Sport, Starbike, Bike24, etc.), I used to shop Excel Sports, Colorado Cyclist, Cambria Bike Outfitter… Here in Canada, I'll usually check La Bicicletta and Canada Bicycle Parts or stop by the local MEC.

As God is my witness, I'd never heard of Bikesdirect before today. That is one fugly website :shock: I'm guessing none of their overhead goes to cultivating their web presence.
LOL - yeah Nashbar is no show pony either

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

joeg26er wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm
ManekiNico wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm

LOL - yeah Nashbar is no show pony either
Nashbar isn't bad for items like 2-3 year old, then top of the line, NOS helmets and cycling shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com